* Detected as trojan in chocolatey repo
@ 2021-12-09 21:25 Jesse
       [not found] ` <1ae0839c-ca1c-4845-8755-33235432ede2n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jesse @ 2021-12-09 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello, are you the maintainer of your software on chocolatey? Do you have
issues with false positives? Hope that's all this is. I don't even know why
the repo installed this package; I didn't get a dependency error when I
uninstalled it...maybe I removed the software it came with. The file was
created on the 3rd, but didn't get picked up until a full drive idle scan
this morning. So real-time missed it. Probably because I have chocolatey
trusted. Everything is supposed to be scanned already, I thought. Then
again, they offer integrated virus scanning as a paid feature; I hope that
doesn't mean they don't scan pushed packages by default.

Usually Kaspersky is pretty good about labeling PUA detections (will say
*not-a-virus* right on the label) and it isn't heuristic either which is
naturally a lot more likely to be false. So it tripped some signature. That
doesn't mean it can't be a false positive though. Unfortunately I deleted
the file before I thought to upload it to VirusTotal or send it in. I
scanned the Windows zip and source code from Github to see if it caused a
detection as well though and didn't detect anything. Also,
*pandoc-citeproc.exe* is not in those archives anyway, perhaps those data
are associated with the chocolatey package specifically?

Just wanted to inform. I don't think anything bad happened to my PC. I hope
it isn't indicative of someone somehow sneaking trojans into other
legitimate chocolatey packages after they've been pushed to the repo. That
seems like a stretch though.

If you have any insight on this I'd appreciate it. I might just need to
switch antivirus providers. Their firewall has been aggravating me for days
as it is. Have a nice day.

* Re: Detected as trojan in chocolatey repo
       [not found] ` <1ae0839c-ca1c-4845-8755-33235432ede2n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-16  1:13   ` Gregory Weber
From: Gregory Weber @ 2021-12-16  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss