* Re: vertically align equations on equals sign
       [not found]   ` <c69c858a-9879-4815-8e46-cb1d357ac8ba-jFIJ+Wc5/Vo7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-04-28 17:42     ` Scott Morris
       [not found]       ` <15998461835841289376.enqueue-5OyLEvDWWC1gaJ/VHHemUA8qMO8cZAx6@public.gmane.org>
From: Scott Morris @ 2020-04-28 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I believe you want the `align*` environment (<https://latex.wikia.org/wiki/Align_(environment)>), like:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi.

\begin{align*}
   a    &=   1           \\
   b    &=   a + 1       \\
   c    &=   a + b + 1
\end{align*}

Bye.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cheers
-- Scott

> [ Message 3170 ]
> Date:    Tue, 28 Apr 2020 13:46:31 -0400
> To:      pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
> From:    John Gabriele <jgabriele-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
> Subject: vertically align equations on equals sign
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to display multiple equations vertically aligned on their equals signs. In my foo.txt, I tried:
>
> ~~~
> Hi.
>
> $$
> a = 1 \\
> b = a + 1 \\
> c = a + b + 1
> $$
>
> Bye.
> ~~~
>
> processed with:
>
>     pandoc -o foo.pdf foo.txt
>
> but there's no line breaks there. Then I tried:
>
> ~~~
> Hi.
>
> \begin{eqnarray}
> a = 1 \\
> b = a + 1 \\
> c = a + b + 1
> \end{eqnarray}
>
> Bye.
> ~~~
>
> (no `$$` needed)
>
> but they come out right-aligned, and also have eqn numbers at the far right (see attached).
>
> How can I get them to be aligned on equals signs?
>
> Thanks,
> -- John
>
> --

[-- Attachment #2: aligning-equations-2.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 527 bytes --]

Hi.

\begin{align*}
   a    &=   1           \\
   b    &=   a + 1       \\
   c    &=   a + b + 1
\end{align*}

Bye.

[-- Attachment #3: aligning-equations-2.pdf --]

* vertically align equations on equals sign
@ 2020-04-28 17:46 John Gabriele
From: John Gabriele @ 2020-04-28 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

[...]

[-- Attachment #2: aligning-equations-1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 6733 bytes --]

@ 2020-04-28 18:15     ` Dmitriy Krasilnikov
       [not found]       ` <CALZUCcAgNORGFL+rgLDXD+XkSfvYb9DaG3sqvJsHfyzXxLGGGA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Dmitriy Krasilnikov @ 2020-04-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Finn Mathisen

Is this pandoc or latex package problem?

@ 2020-04-28 20:12         ` John Gabriele
From: John Gabriele @ 2020-04-28 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Oh, perfect! Thank you!

And I see that "align" (without the asterisk) works as well, the only apparent difference being that it leaves out the equation numbers.

Evidently, both aligns open the math mode, which is why the `$$` isn't required.

-- John

@ 2020-04-28 20:14         ` John Gabriele
       [not found]           ` <505dd813-698e-4298-98d5-c091c9c2f4b8-jFIJ+Wc5/Vo7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Gabriele @ 2020-04-28 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I wasn't sure. I only know the basics of LaTeX.

Problem solved (see other thread). The solution is:

~~~
Hi.

\begin{align*}
a &= 1 \\