* Colon in title in YAML header block
@ 2017-09-20 16:35 R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found] ` <ffc43c46-a1a5-cb39-b103-cc0a8dddcb19-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2017-09-20 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Is there any way to include a title with a colon in a YAML header block
like so:

---
title: This title: has a colon
---

Is there a way of escaping the colon, or is this an absolute
restriction, implying that titles with colons have to incorporated by
other means?

Chandra

* Re: Colon in title in YAML header block
       [not found] ` <ffc43c46-a1a5-cb39-b103-cc0a8dddcb19-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-09-20 16:41   ` Gwern Branwen
       [not found]     ` <CAMwO0gy5r5TA_PDEzYZLW7yHU2kYOqPdHWGWHE8oY3ZzAWdnSw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Gwern Branwen @ 2017-09-20 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Don't you quote it like any other string literal?

    ---
    title: "This title: has a colon"
    ----

That's always seemed to fix escaping problems in my Hakyll files' metadata.

--
gwern
https://www.gwern.net

@ 2017-09-20 16:51       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]         ` <16f23044-d51d-cb0d-fb5e-63f11df2ed5a-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2017-09-20 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Gwern Branwen

Thank you. Both single and double quotes work.

I do not know YAML well and think that I had been overly fixated on
backslash escaping to consider alternatives.

Chandra

@ 2017-09-20 20:13           ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]             ` <CAFC_yuRBc0CvG8hgV0z+HZzwmRcWXjC7KrL1Rtvj1xyY=0-OUw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2017-09-20 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The Wikipedia page on YAML contains very good descriptions of the syntax,
both terse listing of syntax rules and more explanatory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML

Note that some of the more advanced features don't make sense in Pandoc
metadata and/or are not supported by the parser Pandoc uses.

/bpj

Den 20 sep 2017 18:51 skrev "R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar" <chyavana-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

@ 2017-09-21  3:44               ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2017-09-21  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, BP Jonsson

Thank you very much. I found that very helpful.

Chandra