* Beamer section numbers
@ 2017-12-07 14:37 thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ
       [not found] ` <d85e29a5-18a7-46e6-86aa-40917297d538-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ @ 2017-12-07 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Since I updated to pandoc 2.0.4 my Beamer output prints the section or
subsection number on section title frames; my Beamer version is 3.45 Here's
a MWE:

```
# Section

## Subsection

### Frame

Foo
```

I would previously just see 'Section' and 'Subsection', now it is
'1\nSection', '1\nSubsection'.

If the frames are numbered it would be better if they were 1, 1.1 etc.

However, wouldn't it be better to remove all the
`\let\insertpartnumber\relax`, `\let\partname\relax`? And let the Beamer
theme (and babel/polyglossia) handle the localisation and presentation of
section titles?

* Re: Beamer section numbers
       [not found] ` <d85e29a5-18a7-46e6-86aa-40917297d538-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-12-07 17:47   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-12-07 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I can't reproduce this. I tried with your input, `pandoc -o
my.pdf -t beamer`.  I got a PDF with no section numbers.

Are you perhaps using a custom template?  (Check in
~./pandoc/templates as well.)  Did you use --toc on the
command line?

+++ thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ@public.gmane.org [Dec 07 17 06:37 ]:
>   Since I updated to pandoc 2.0.4 my Beamer output prints the section or
>   subsection number on section title frames; my Beamer version is 3.45
>   Here's a MWE:
>   ```
>   # Section
>   ## Subsection
>   ### Frame
>   Foo
>   ```
>   I would previously just see 'Section' and 'Subsection', now it is
>   '1\nSection', '1\nSubsection'.
>   If the frames are numbered it would be better if they were 1, 1.1 etc.
>   However, wouldn't it be better to remove all the
>   `\let\insertpartnumber\relax`, `\let\partname\relax`? And let the
>   Beamer theme (and babel/polyglossia) handle the localisation and
>   presentation of section titles?
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>   [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/d85e29a5-18a7-46e6-
>   86aa-40917297d538%40googlegroups.com.
>
>References

>   2. mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>   3. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/d85e29a5-18a7-46e6-86aa-40917297d538-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>   4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

* Re: Beamer section numbers
@ 2017-12-07 19:54     ` thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ
       [not found]       ` <60eedaa6-0ad6-4518-8a94-2ce750c707ac-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ @ 2017-12-07 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you for looking at this.

This is my command:
pandoc -t beamer -o foo.pdf foo.md

I'm not using a custom template; I don't have a ~/.pandoc/templates
directory.

Looking at the relevant code in Beamer here
<https://github.com/josephwright/beamer/blob/ac6ea5eae32da4b80eb6a46cd62cb8aedd093c08/base/themes/inner/beamerinnerthemedefault.sty>
I can't see why the current template doesn't do `\let\thepart\relax`
instead. I did that in a custom template and that gives me the expected
behaviour.

```
$if(section-titles)$
\AtBeginPart{
  \let\thepart\relax
  \let\partname\relax
  \frame{\partpage}
}
\AtBeginSection{
  \ifbibliography
  \else
    \let\thesection\relax
    \let\sectionname\relax
    \frame{\sectionpage}
  \fi
}
\AtBeginSubsection{
  \let\thesubsection\relax
  \let\subsectionname\relax
  \frame{\subsectionpage}
}
```

Maybe this changed in a recent version of Beamer? (I can't find any
evidence of that, though.)

@ 2017-12-07 22:14         ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-12-07 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Can you generate the tex file directly?

    pandoc -t beamer -s -o foo.tex foo.md

Then attach or include foo.tex so I can compare it with
what I have.  Also try compiling it with pdflatex to
verify that you still get the numbers.

If we get the same tex output from pandoc, but you get
the numbers in the PDF and I don't, it suggests a
change in beamer itself.

* Re: Beamer section numbers
@ 2017-12-07 23:30           ` thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ
       [not found]             ` <8ea04601-dbcd-42aa-b0ff-95eb79151d6b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ @ 2017-12-07 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The tex output is attached. I still get numbers; I did latexmk -pdf foo.tex.

On Thursday, 7 December 2017 22:14:18 UTC, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Can you generate the tex file directly?
>
>     pandoc -t beamer -s -o foo.tex foo.md
>
> Then attach or include foo.tex so I can compare it with
> what I have.  Also try compiling it with pdflatex to
> verify that you still get the numbers.
>
> If we get the same tex output from pandoc, but you get
> the numbers in the PDF and I don't, it suggests a
> change in beamer itself.

[-- Attachment #2: foo.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 2283 bytes --]

\PassOptionsToPackage{unicode=true}{hyperref} % options for packages loaded elsewhere
\PassOptionsToPackage{hyphens}{url}
%
\documentclass[ignorenonframetext,]{beamer}
\setbeamertemplate{caption}[numbered]
\setbeamertemplate{caption label separator}{: }
\setbeamercolor{caption name}{fg=normal text.fg}
\beamertemplatenavigationsymbolsempty
\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}
\usepackage{ifxetex,ifluatex}
\usepackage{fixltx2e} % provides \textsubscript
\ifnum 0\ifxetex 1\fi\ifluatex 1\fi=0 % if pdftex
  \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
  \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
  \usepackage{textcomp} % provides euro and other symbols
\else % if luatex or xelatex
  \usepackage{unicode-math}
  \defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX,Scale=MatchLowercase}
\fi
% use upquote if available, for straight quotes in verbatim environments
\IfFileExists{upquote.sty}{\usepackage{upquote}}{}
% use microtype if available
\IfFileExists{microtype.sty}{%
\usepackage[]{microtype}
\UseMicrotypeSet[protrusion]{basicmath} % disable protrusion for tt fonts
}{}
\IfFileExists{parskip.sty}{%
\usepackage{parskip}
}{% else
\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\setlength{\parskip}{6pt plus 2pt minus 1pt}
}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\hypersetup{
            pdfborder={0 0 0},
            breaklinks=true}
\urlstyle{same}  % don't use monospace font for urls
\newif\ifbibliography
% Prevent slide breaks in the middle of a paragraph:
\widowpenalties 1 10000
\raggedbottom
\AtBeginPart{
  \let\insertpartnumber\relax
  \let\partname\relax
  \frame{\partpage}
}
\AtBeginSection{
  \ifbibliography
  \else
    \let\insertsectionnumber\relax
    \let\sectionname\relax
    \frame{\sectionpage}
  \fi
}
\AtBeginSubsection{
  \let\insertsubsectionnumber\relax
  \let\subsectionname\relax
  \frame{\subsectionpage}
}
\setlength{\emergencystretch}{3em}  % prevent overfull lines
\providecommand{\tightlist}{%
  \setlength{\itemsep}{0pt}\setlength{\parskip}{0pt}}
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}

% set default figure placement to htbp
\makeatletter
\def\fps@figure{htbp}
\makeatother

\date{}

\begin{document}

\hypertarget{section}{%
\section{Section}\label{section}}

\hypertarget{subsection}{%
\subsection{Subsection}\label{subsection}}

\begin{frame}{%
\protect\hypertarget{frame}{%
Frame}}

Foo

\end{frame}

\end{document}

* Re: Beamer section numbers
       [not found]             ` <8ea04601-dbcd-42aa-b0ff-95eb79151d6b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-12-07 23:43               ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-12-07 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I get exactly the same tex output.
When I do latexmk -pdf foo.tex, I don't get numbers.
So, could this be a change in beamer?

My beamer.cls is from texlive 2017.  Top says:

% Copyright 2003--2007 by Till Tantau
% Copyright 2010 by Vedran Mileti\'c
% Copyright 2011--2013,2015 by Vedran Mileti\'c, Joseph Wright
% Copyright 2016,2017 Joseph Wright
%
% This file may be distributed and/or modified
%
% 1. under the LaTeX Project Public License and/or
% 2. under the GNU Public License.
%
% See the file doc/licenses/LICENSE for more details.

\ProvidesClass{beamer}
  [2017/01/23 v3.41 A class for typesetting presentations]

+++ thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ@public.gmane.org [Dec 07 17 15:30 ]:

* Re: Beamer section numbers
@ 2017-12-08  1:12                 ` thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ
       [not found]                   ` <7fdc0c19-fe80-40a0-9c0d-145adb0aaad0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ @ 2017-12-08  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm on Beamer 3.45. Tthe latest on CTAN is 3.46
<https://ctan.org/pkg/beamer>. That sounds like it. I saw a few commits in
the Beamer repo which change relevant code, but I haven't tried to
understand them yet.

I looked at the definitions of \partpage etc. They can be redefined using
Beamer's template system. Here is a first go:

```
\setbeamertemplate{part page}{
\centering
\begin{beamercolorbox}[sep=16pt,center]{part title}
    \usebeamerfont{part title}\insertpart\par
\end{beamercolorbox}
}

\setbeamertemplate{section page}{
\centering
\begin{beamercolorbox}[sep=12pt,center]{part title}
    \usebeamerfont{section title}\insertsection\par
\end{beamercolorbox}
}

\setbeamertemplate{subsection page}{
\centering
\begin{beamercolorbox}[sep=8pt,center]{part title}
    \usebeamerfont{subsection title}\insertsubsection\par
\end{beamercolorbox}
}
```

The various \let and \relax can then be removed.

On Thursday, 7 December 2017 23:43:39 UTC, John MacFarlane wrote:

> [...]
> >    \frame{\sectionpage}
> >  \fi
> >}
> >\AtBeginSubsection{
> >  \let\insertsubsectionnumber\relax
> >  \let\subsectionname\relax
> >  \frame{\subsectionpage}
> >}
> >\setlength{\emergencystretch}{3em}  % prevent overfull lines
> >\providecommand{\tightlist}{%
> >  \setlength{\itemsep}{0pt}\setlength{\parskip}{0pt}}
> >\setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
> >
> >% set default figure placement to htbp
> >\makeatletter
> >\def\fps@figure{htbp}
> >\makeatother
> >

> >\date{}
> >
> >\begin{document}
> >
> >\hypertarget{section}{%
> >\section{Section}\label{section}}
> >
> >\hypertarget{subsection}{%
> >\subsection{Subsection}\label{subsection}}

* Re: Beamer section numbers
       [not found]                   ` <7fdc0c19-fe80-40a0-9c0d-145adb0aaad0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-12-08 11:11                     ` thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ
       [not found]                       ` <bc56c135-16ec-4726-ad6c-09c1795a37ac-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ @ 2017-12-08 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I asked on Stack Exchange, and learnt that Beamer has reverted the changes
that cause the issue: https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/405123/451

The answer confirmed my method for altering the templates, but I haven't
tested it with bibliographies yet.

On Friday, 8 December 2017 01:13:00 UTC, thomas....-6DaNJ7gwbyQ@public.gmane.org wrote:

> [...]
>> >    \frame{\sectionpage}
>> >  \fi
>> >}
>> >\AtBeginSubsection{
>> >  \let\insertsubsectionnumber\relax
>> >  \let\subsectionname\relax
>> >  \frame{\subsectionpage}
>> >}
>> >\setlength{\emergencystretch}{3em}  % prevent overfull lines
>> >\providecommand{\tightlist}{%
>> >  \setlength{\itemsep}{0pt}\setlength{\parskip}{0pt}}
>> >\setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
>> >
>> >% set default figure placement to htbp
>> >\makeatletter
>> >\def\fps@figure{htbp}
>> >\makeatother
>> >

>> >\date{}
>> >
>> >\begin{document}
>> >
>> >\hypertarget{section}{%
>> >\section{Section}\label{section}}
>> >
>> >\hypertarget{subsection}{%
>> >\subsection{Subsection}\label{subsection}}

* Re: Beamer section numbers
       [not found]                       ` <bc56c135-16ec-4726-ad6c-09c1795a37ac-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-12-08 17:32                         ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-12-08 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

We need a revised template that works with both the older
version of beamer (e.g. the one I have in texlive, 3.41)
and newer ones.  Do you have a suggestion for that?

+++ thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ@public.gmane.org [Dec 08 17 03:11 ]:

* Re: Beamer section numbers
@ 2017-12-08 18:56                           ` thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ
       [not found]                             ` <068dcfd3-854f-4a1e-a979-4307e70e50ea-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ @ 2017-12-08 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10146 bytes --]

I think my suggestion will (attached). \insertpart wasn't changed between
the versions.

On Friday, 8 December 2017 17:33:32 UTC, John MacFarlane wrote:

> [...]
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >\date{}
> >     >
> >     >\begin{document}
> >     >
> >     >\hypertarget{section}{%
> >     >\section{Section}\label{section}}
> >     >
> >     >\hypertarget{subsection}{%
> >     >\subsection{Subsection}\label{subsection}}
> >     >
> >     >\begin{frame}{%
> >     >\protect\hypertarget{frame}{%
> >     >Frame}}
> >     >
> >     >Foo
> >     >
> >     >\end{frame}
> >     >
> >     >\end{document}
> >
> >   --
> >   To view this discussion on the web visit

[-- Attachment #2: sections.latex --]
[-- Type: application/x-latex, Size: 10803 bytes --]

* Re: Beamer section numbers
@ 2017-12-13 20:01                               ` thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ
       [not found]                                 ` <9f2c8e22-cb21-4fa3-b331-65127152a1ac-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ @ 2017-12-13 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10514 bytes --]

I've now tested the template with Pandoc 2.0.5 and Beamer 3.46. It works
fine as far as I can tell.

@ 2017-12-14  5:21                                   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-12-14  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks, I've made the change.  Further testing always welcome.

+++ thomas.hodgson-6DaNJ7gwbyQ@public.gmane.org [Dec 13 17 12:01 ]: