* pandoc document conversion to html fails with error 67 on PC network
@ 2019-04-08 14:57 Andy Field
       [not found] ` <539b3ef0-60e3-4e72-bf26-bba286ceafcc-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Andy Field @ 2019-04-08 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I work at a UK university where I teach R Studio and R Markdown. We have a
problem with knitting Markdown documents to HTML when students are working
on networked university PCs.
The problem in brief

   - R Markdown documents knitted to html fail with with error 67
   - Changing the YAML to self_contained: no results in a successfully
   knitted document, but this doesn’t help us because (obviously) the html is
   no longer self-contained and instead images and other references are stored
   in a separate folder. Students can’t submit non-self-contained html for
   assessment. We need the resulting html files to be self-contained.
   - Knitting to Word works
   - I recently asked ITS to do a test install of latex and try knitting to
   PDF. That worked (on a test file) too.

Contextual information

   - Students work on networked PCs.
   - The R library is set up for each user within their Documents folder on
   the network mapped to a drive: N:/Documents/R/win-library/3.5
   - We have had an issue with *some* (but not all) packages needing us to
   specify the library path (e.g., install.packages('package_name'), lib =
   N:/Documents/R/win-library/3.5). Reading around, this seems to be to do
   with UNC paths, but I don’t know enough about UNC paths to understand what
   the issue is and ITS don’t understand enough about R Studio to know why UNC
   paths are a problem:-)

More detail on the error

This is the error from pandoc when knitting the default R markdown template
document:

pandoc.exe: Could not fetch \xx.xx.xx.ac.uk-library.5-1.11.3.min.js
FailedConnectionException2 “xx.xx.xx.ac.uk” 80 False connect: failed
(Connection timed out (WSAETIMEDOUT)) Error: pandoc document conversion
failed with error 67 Execution halted`

xx.xx.xx.ac.uk is the home drive of the university network (with xs to
replace the actual path) and ‘username’ would be the users username. The
error looks as though it is looking for ‘jquery.min.js’ but timing out
before finding it. The file jquery.min.js exists at the specified location
(\xx.xx.xx.ac.uk-library.5-1.11.3)
Questions

I’m hitting a brick wall with this issue. My ITS support are *really* helpful
but they don’t know anything about pandoc or R Studio. Conversely, I know
nothing about networking, so they say ‘it’s a pandoc issue you’ll have to
ask the developers’, but everything I have read on error 67 suggests
firewalls/UNC paths as the issue, which I have no control over (unless I
can give ITS some specific info on *why* UNC paths/firewalls messes up
knitting to html and a way to resolve it). Despite many hours on the
internet, I haven’t found a way to resolve the issue other than setting
self_contained: no in the YAML, which doesn’t help me.

We’re changing all of our UG teaching in my school to R next year, and it’d
really make life a lot easier if we can have students not to self-contained
html. So, my questions:

   1. If it is a UNC path/firewall issue does anyone have a workaround
   other than putting self_contained: no in the YAML? If you do have a
   solution that involves knowing about networking or UNC paths can you
   possibly give me info that will make sense to to my ITS staff (or point me
   somewhere for more info).
   2. If it’s not a UNC path/firewall issue, what is the problem and is
   there a solution?