* latex with hebrew and greek convert to epub, some problems
@ 2018-02-25  9:00 Uwe Brauer
       [not found] ` <87efl9wiii.fsf-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-02-25  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi

I attach a latex file which contains biblical Hebrew and Greek
using xelatex and  polyglossia. I had to install special ttf fonts
available from
https://www.sbl-site.org/educational/biblicalfonts.aspx.

I also attach the pdf file. I converted this LaTeX file to epub
simply by pandoc testheb.tex -o testheb.epub

The resulting epub file could not be correctly displayed in Linux
FBReader so I switched to calibre.
There is one char which is not displayed and the hebrew text has
not the correct indent.

Does anybody have experience with such a setting and any advice?

Uwe Brauer

[-- Attachment #2: testheb.epub --]

[-- Attachment #3: testheb.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #4: testheb.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 1015 bytes --]

%%  -*-coding: utf-8-*-

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{polyglossia}

\setmainlanguage{german}
\setotherlanguage{greek}
\setotherlanguage{hebrew}
\newfontfamily\greekfont{SBL Greek}
\newfontfamily\hebrewfont{SBL Hebrew}

%%   BEGIN DOCUMENT
\begin{document}

1. Korinther 15,3b-5 (polyglossia)

\begin{greek}
   \begin{enumerate}
     \item  ὅτι Χριστὸς ἀπέθανεν ὑπὲρ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν ἡμῶν κατὰ τὰς γραφὰς
     \item  καὶ ὅτι ἐτάφη καὶ ὅτι ἐγήγερται τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῇ τρίτῃ κατὰ τὰς
     γραφὰς
     \item  καὶ ὅτι ὤφθη Κηφᾷ εἶτα τοῖς δώδεκα·
   \end{enumerate}
\end{greek}

Genesis 1,1 (polyglossia)

\begin{hebrew}

בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃

\end{hebrew}

\end{document}
%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-engine: xetex
%%% End:

* Re: latex with hebrew and greek convert to epub, some problems
       [not found] ` <87efl9wiii.fsf-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-02-25 10:27   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2018-02-25 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 02/25/2018 10:00 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I attach a latex file which contains biblical Hebrew and Greek
> using xelatex and  polyglossia. I had to install special ttf fonts
> available from
> https://www.sbl-site.org/educational/biblicalfonts.aspx.
>
> I also attach the pdf file. I converted this LaTeX file to epub
> simply by pandoc testheb.tex -o testheb.epub

Hi Uwe,

LaTeX handles both passages fine, so the PDF file is generated correcty.
The problem is the ePub file.

> The resulting epub file could not be correctly displayed in Linux
> FBReader so I switched to calibre.
> There is one char which is not displayed and the hebrew text has
> not the correct indent.

The XHTML file contains:

which should read:

The ePub document doesn’t have the ePub font embedded.

mupdf-1.12 displays no Hebrew (my version doesn’t have the fonts embedded).

The way to solve this would be a proper Markdown file:

    ---
    title: Griechisch und Hebräisch prüfen
    author: Uwe Brauer
    lang: de
    stylesheet: testheb.css
    ---

    _1\. Korinther_ 15,3b-5

    ::: {lang="grc"}
    1. ὅτι Χριστὸς ἀπέθανεν ὑπὲρ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν ἡμῶν κατὰ τὰς γραφὰς
    1. καὶ ὅτι ἐτάφη καὶ ὅτι ἐγήγερται τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῇ τρίτῃ κατὰ τὰς γραφὰς
    1. καὶ ὅτι ὤφθη Κηφᾷ εἶτα τοῖς δώδεκα·
    :::

    Genesis 1,1

    ::: {lang="hbo" dir="rtl"}
    בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃
    :::

The CSS file would read:

    @font-face {
        font-family: "MeinSchriftart";
        font-weight: normal;
        font-style: normal;
        src:url("FreeSerif.otf");
    }

    body {
        font-family: "MeinSchriftart";
        font-size: 1.5em;
    }

And pandoc should be invoked:

    pandoc testheb.md -o testheb.epub --epub-embed-font=FreeSerif.otf

I attach the resulting ePub document. It works fine both with calibre
and mupdf for Fedora 26.

Of course, you may use another font, but this will be problematic.

In my ereader, the ARM (Adobe Reader Mobile) version doesn’t do right to
left. (I haven’t tested it with this file, I experienced this before.)

If you use a font per language, at least the pseudo-classs may not work
to set up the font for each language, such as in:

    :lang(grc){font-family: "SBL Greek";}

It might work with the standard selector (I haven’t tested it).

    *[lang="hbo"]{font-family: "SBL Hebrew";}

Or it might work in some devices and not in others.

After converting the Markdown source to LaTeX source, I guess mainfont
may help you to generate the PDF document.

> Does anybody have experience with such a setting and any advice?

I have the advice (only). I used LaTeX long ago.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

[-- Attachment #2: testheb.epub --]
[-- Type: application/epub+zip, Size: 1298815 bytes --]

* Re: latex with hebrew and greek convert to epub, some problems
@ 2018-02-26  8:35     ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found]       ` <878tbgjggg.fsf-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-02-26  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

>>> "Pablo" == Pablo Rodríguez <oinos-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org> writes:

    > On 02/25/2018 10:00 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
    >> I attach a latex file which contains biblical Hebrew and Greek
    >> using xelatex and  polyglossia. I had to install special ttf fonts
    >> available from
    >> https://www.sbl-site.org/educational/biblicalfonts.aspx.
    >>
    >> I also attach the pdf file. I converted this LaTeX file to epub
    >> simply by pandoc testheb.tex -o testheb.epub

    > Hi Uwe,

    > LaTeX handles both passages fine, so the PDF file is generated correcty.
    > The problem is the ePub file.

    >> The resulting epub file could not be correctly displayed in Linux
    >> FBReader so I switched to calibre.
    >> There is one char which is not displayed and the hebrew text has
    >> not the correct indent.

    > The XHTML file contains:

    > which should read:

    > The ePub document doesn’t have the ePub font embedded.

Right of course, so it seems that ePub is not (still) ready for dealing
with such (exotic) cases due to fonts issues.

    > mupdf-1.12 displays no Hebrew (my version doesn’t have the fonts embedded).

    > The way to solve this would be a proper Markdown file:

    >     ---
    >     title: Griechisch und Hebräisch prüfen
    >     author: Uwe Brauer
    >     lang: de
    >     stylesheet: testheb.css
    >     ---

    >     _1\. Korinther_ 15,3b-5

    >     ::: {lang="grc"}
    >     1. ὅτι Χριστὸς ἀπέθανεν ὑπὲρ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν ἡμῶν κατὰ τὰς γραφὰς
    >     1. καὶ ὅτι ἐτάφη καὶ ὅτι ἐγήγερται τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῇ τρίτῃ κατὰ τὰς γραφὰς
    >     1. καὶ ὅτι ὤφθη Κηφᾷ εἶτα τοῖς δώδεκα·
    >     :::

    >     Genesis 1,1

    >     ::: {lang="hbo" dir="rtl"}
    >     בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃
    >     :::

    > The CSS file would read:

    >     @font-face {
    >         font-family: "MeinSchriftart";
    >         font-weight: normal;
    >         font-style: normal;
    >         src:url("FreeSerif.otf");
    >     }

    >     body {
    >         font-family: "MeinSchriftart";
    >         font-size: 1.5em;
    >     }

    > And pandoc should be invoked:

    >     pandoc testheb.md -o testheb.epub --epub-embed-font=FreeSerif.otf

    > I attach the resulting ePub document. It works fine both with calibre
    > and mupdf for Fedora 26.
In my calibre version (Ubuntu 16.04) there is still a problem with one
char. FBReader is worse and I will give mupdf a try

    > Of course, you may use another font, but this will be problematic.

    > In my ereader, the ARM (Adobe Reader Mobile) version doesn’t do right to
    > left. (I haven’t tested it with this file, I experienced this before.)

    > If you use a font per language, at least the pseudo-classs may not work
    > to set up the font for each language, such as in:

    >     :lang(grc){font-family: "SBL Greek";}

    > It might work with the standard selector (I haven’t tested it).

    >     *[lang="hbo"]{font-family: "SBL Hebrew";}

    > Or it might work in some devices and not in others.

    > After converting the Markdown source to LaTeX source, I guess mainfont
    > may help you to generate the PDF document.

    >> Does anybody have experience with such a setting and any advice?

    > I have the advice (only). I used LaTeX long ago.

    > Just in case it might help,

Thanks very much for this, really. I will play around with it a bit but
I am starting to think that epub is just not suitable for this task
right now.

Regards

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: hebrew-epub.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 84110 bytes --]

@ 2018-02-26 15:49         ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]           ` <7c67ee5c-4e60-ea9d-34b0-7965a3aa32e7-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2018-02-26 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 02/26/2018 09:35 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>     > The ePub document doesn’t have the ePub font embedded.
>
> Right of course, so it seems that ePub is not (still) ready for dealing
> with such (exotic) cases due to fonts issues.

For some strange reason (at least, unknown to me), calibre isn’t able to
read the embedded font. But mupdf-1.12 displays the text using the
embedded font.

But embedding fonts is a requirement for polytonic Greek. This is also
the case with PDF documents.

>     > I attach the resulting ePub document. It works fine both with calibre
>     > and mupdf for Fedora 26.
> In my calibre version (Ubuntu 16.04) there is still a problem with one
> char. FBReader is worse and I will give mupdf a try

calibre may be ignoring font-family properties (overriding them by the
font options in the viewer).

>     > Just in case it might help,
>
> Thanks very much for this, really. I will play around with it a bit but
> I am starting to think that epub is just not suitable for this task
> right now.

ePub may be the right format (text directions aside), but I don’t know
whether calibre has a bug not displaying embedded fonts.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2018-03-01 22:18             ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2018-03-01 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 02/26/2018 04:49 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> On 02/26/2018 09:35 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> [...]
>> Thanks very much for this, really. I will play around with it a bit but
>> I am starting to think that epub is just not suitable for this task
>> right now.
>
> ePub may be the right format (text directions aside), but I don’t know
> whether calibre has a bug not displaying embedded fonts.

Uwe,

I owe you an apology, the font was embedded, but the CSS file was
pointing to a different location.

From pandoc-2.0 stores fonts inside the ePub are placed in a different
location.

CSS file should read:

    @font-face {
        font-family: "MeinSchriftart";
        font-weight: normal;
        font-style: normal;
        src:url("../fonts/FreeSerif.otf");
    }

    body {
        font-family: "MeinSchriftart";
        font-size: 1.5em;
    }

Now, both calibre and mupdf display the embedded font fine.

Sorry for this mistake,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

[-- Attachment #2: testheb.epub --]
[-- Type: application/epub+zip, Size: 1298876 bytes --]

* Re: latex with hebrew and greek convert to epub, some problems
@ 2018-03-02 18:02               ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found]                 ` <87inaebbkg.fsf-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-03-02 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

>>> "Pablo" == Pablo Rodríguez <oinos-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org> writes:
Hi Pablo,

   > On 02/26/2018 04:49 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
   >> On 02/26/2018 09:35 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >>> [...]
   >>> Thanks very much for this, really. I will play around with it a bit but
   >>> I am starting to think that epub is just not suitable for this task
   >>> right now.
   >>
   >> ePub may be the right format (text directions aside), but I don’t know
   >> whether calibre has a bug not displaying embedded fonts.

   > Uwe,

   > I owe you an apology, the font was embedded, but the CSS file was
   > pointing to a different location.

You don't me an apology on the contrary you helped me a lot.

   > From pandoc-2.0 stores fonts inside the ePub are placed in a different
   > location.

But now I am a bit confused, because I thought epub is not appropriate
for such exotic fonts, now you seem to indicate that it is. I mean would
an avarage user, with an average (say Windows) installation be able to
display these fonts with calibre (which is sort of standard across
various platforms)?

I could the feeling that only pdf us appropriate since it ships the
fonts while epub usually does not.

Could you please clarify.

Uwe

* Re: latex with hebrew and greek convert to epub, some problems
@ 2018-03-02 18:04     ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found]       ` <87bmg6bbgy.fsf-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-03-02 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

   > On 02/25/2018 10:00 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

   > And pandoc should be invoked:

   >     pandoc testheb.md -o testheb.epub --epub-embed-font=FreeSerif.otf

That would only work in Linux or might also in Mac and Windows?

Thanks

Uwe

@ 2018-03-03  8:18                   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2018-03-03  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 03/02/2018 07:02 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> [...]
>    > I owe you an apology, the font was embedded, but the CSS file was
>    > pointing to a different location.
>
> You don't me an apology on the contrary you helped me a lot.

Hi Uwe,

my mistake was to be unable to realize that I relative font paths should
be used there.

Absolute font paths ("/EPUB/fonts/FreeSerif.otf") may work with calibre,
but they don’t work with mupdf.

Since relative font paths ("../fonts/FreeSerif.otf") work fine with
both, I suggest using them instead of absolute paths.

>    > From pandoc-2.0 stores fonts inside the ePub are placed in a different
>    > location.
>
> But now I am a bit confused, because I thought epub is not appropriate
> for such exotic fonts, now you seem to indicate that it is. I mean would
> an average user, with an average (say Windows) installation be able to
> display these fonts with calibre (which is sort of standard across
> various platforms)?

From the pure font question, calibre and any ePub viewer that follows
the standard should use the embedded font(s) to display the text (as the
CSS or HTML files specify).

OSes are irrelevant here. BTW, if calibre behaves differently across
different operative systems, it may be a bug there.

> I could the feeling that only pdf us appropriate since it ships the
> fonts while epub usually does not.

In my opinion, this has nothing to do with the format, but with the
actual document (given that the format allows font embedding).

At least about 15 years ago, the PDFWriter that came with the paid
version of Acrobat did not embed the fonts in the document. To make
things worst (not even worse), the viewer had the default to substitute
missing fonts in the PDF document with system fonts.

If you generate the ePub document, you have to embed the fonts. Once the
fonts are embedded, everything is fine with any viewer that follows the
specification.

Another question (if you intend that people read your ePub documents in
a variety of devices, not desktop or laptop computers) would be that not
all of them may support RTL text direction.

But since pandoc may generate both (better when from Markdown sources),
you may provide both ePub and PDF versions for your documents.

I hope it is clearer now. If you have any further questions, please ask
them.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2018-03-03  8:21         ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2018-03-03  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 03/02/2018 07:04 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> [...]
>> And pandoc should be invoked:
>>
>>  pandoc testheb.md -o testheb.epub --epub-embed-font=FreeSerif.otf
>
> That would only work in Linux or might also in Mac and Windows?

It works with any ePub viewer that supports embedded fonts (from the
reading software side).

As for pandoc, it works on any OS that has a pandoc binary.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk