@jgm I think a possible fix for the ARIA role would be to set it to: *role="doc-footnote"* instead of: *role="doc-endnotes" * I found this at: https://kb.daisy.org/publishing/docs/html/dpub-aria/doc-footnote.html which fixes the validation error. Of course, I have only verified this with my limited use case i.e. footnotes, and I am not sure what the far-reaching consequences of making this change would be. Cheers On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 11:15:59 PM UTC+5:30 Nandakumar Chandrasekhar wrote: > Thank you for your reply. > > I am using the validator put out by the W3C avaliable at: > https://validator.w3.org/ > > I will experiment with XHTML and figure out the syntactic differences and > see what happens. > > I do not know much about aria roles so will have read up on those. > > Many thanks. > > On Wed, 15 Nov, 2023, 20:48 Nandakumar Chandrasekhar, > wrote: > >> Dear Folks, >> >> I have the following question in regard to the HTML 5 generated by Pandoc. >> >> Is Pandoc generating HTML 5 using the XHTML standard? >> >> When validating the generated HTML through the W3C validator I see the >> following information notices about void elements: >> >> Trailing slash on void elements has no effect >> >> and interacts badly with unquoted attribute values >> >> . >> >> Since this is just informational I am not too worried about the trailing >> slash being placed at the end of elements although it does not seem to be >> part of the HTML 5 standard. >> >> However, when I am faced with an error like below I would like to fix it: >> >> Error: Bad value doc-endnotes for attribute role on element aside >> . >> ↩