* pandoc-citeproc weirdness: how to @cite in YAML?
@ 2017-10-11 15:36 Joseph Reagle
       [not found] ` <c8ad42a2-8e0f-cdb0-47b5-e61be52e4059-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-10-11 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have a bibliographic entry as follows

```
- id: Groth2015edh
  type: post-weblog
  genre: Web log message
  abstract: "Argument for risk and privilege by way of @LevineRubinstein2013siw; @BlackEtal2015ort"
  author:
  - family: "Groth"
    given: "Aimee"
  container-title: "Quartz"
  custom2: "field-notes-2016-cat.mm"
  issued:
    year: 2015
    month: 07
    day: 17
  keyword: "privilege"
  title: "Entrepreneurs don't have a special gene for risk---they come from families with money"
  accessed:
    year: 2016
    month: 04
    day: 23
```

The @Cites cause all sort of weirdness including references for non-existent citations in the prose.
If I escape them with a backslash (\@BlackEtal2015ort), that causes other brokenness.
If I remove `@` I am good, but is there a way to keep them and have it work?

* Re: pandoc-citeproc weirdness: how to @cite in YAML?
       [not found] ` <c8ad42a2-8e0f-cdb0-47b5-e61be52e4059-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-11 15:48   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-11 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

No, there's no way to have citations in the abstract
resolved by pandoc-citeproc.  Pandoc-citeproc reads
the references from the metadata before modifying the
AST.  Backslash-escaping these should just give you
literal strings -- what do you get instead?

+++ Joseph Reagle [Oct 11 17 11:36 ]:

@ 2017-10-12 14:05     ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-10-12 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, John MACFARLANE

I don't want them resolved but ignored. They create phantom citations in a document that cites @Groth2015edh. (I get references to them in the bibliography even though the prose never cites them).

>  Pandoc-citeproc reads
> the references from the metadata before modifying the
> AST.  Backslash-escaping these should just give you
> literal strings -- what do you get instead?

I'm not sure what this means, but when I backslash those keys in my source YAML I get this build error and none of my cites are found:

```
/usr/local/bin/pandoc -f markdown+mmd_title_block+yaml_metadata_block+implicit_header_references+superscript+subscript+tex_math_dollars+autolink_bare_uris -w html -s --smart --tab-stop 4 --email-obfuscation=references -c http://reagle.org/joseph/2003/papers.css -o /Users/reagle/joseph/2016/lh/09-conclusion.html --mathjax --csl=chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl --filter pandoc-citeproc /Users/reagle/joseph/2016/lh/09-conclusion-2.md /Users/reagle/joseph/2016/lh/09-conclusion.yaml

[pandoc warning] Could not parse YAML header: found unknown escape character "source" (line 416, column 56)
pandoc-citeproc: reference Ferriss20155mr not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Magnezi2016fys not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Theisen-Jones2017mfo not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Altucher2013hba not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Altucher2016hmb not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Williams2016wsh not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Altucher2011hbs not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Altucher2014lil not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Altucher2013hba not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Buchheit2009apk not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference LevineRubinstein2013siw not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference BlackEtal2015ort not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Groth2015edh not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Dziura2013wlh not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Levy2001hhc not found
pandoc-citeproc: reference Connection1996nhe not found
```