* How do I control and embed the fonts in my pdfs?
@ 2021-08-16  4:55 Hugh Esco
       [not found] ` <543536ca-7ced-4033-ad1a-ecdd3fedaf44n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hugh Esco @ 2021-08-16  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

My tests seem to indicate that the fonts which are available to me are a
function of the value of the `--latex-engine=` switch.

If I set that switch to pdflatex (which seems to be the default), I can
choose any font installed as a .sty file at this path:
`/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/`, by setting a value to
the fontenc key at the top of my markdown source file.

But I have not been able to sort out how to access other fonts installed at
`/usr/share`, by setting the `--latex-engine` to `lualatext` or `xelatex`.

All my tests seem to look alike, and changing my fonts has no impact on how
the resulting pdf looks.

Can someone please point me to some documentation which would help me
understand how to use the full range of fonts available on this system,
suitable for which ever value I set to the `--latext-engine` switch?

Thanks,
-- Hugh Esco

* Re: How do I control and embed the fonts in my pdfs?
       [not found] ` <543536ca-7ced-4033-ad1a-ecdd3fedaf44n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-08-16  4:58   ` Hugh Esco
       [not found]     ` <a038e9eb-401c-4e63-b44c-86ec89d76e60n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hugh Esco @ 2021-08-16  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Also, how can I ensure that the font ultimately gets embedded in the result
file?

-- Hugh Esco

@ 2021-08-16  7:42       ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-08-16  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

For font selection and recognized names, see the fontspec documentation[1] p. 9-11.

From my experience, it seems to me that fonts are always embedded unless they forbide it. Although there may be more straightforward ways to check it, you can install pdftk and run `pdftk myfile.pdf output - uncompress | less` to check it directly in the uncompressed code (go directly at the end of the output).

[1]: https://www.ctan.org/pkg/fontspec

@ 2021-08-16  8:25   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhCkmKrY+-ZUzZg3W4hW=tLsa4irz4KP-_-dzJsB+tUfUA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2021-08-16  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You use the `mainfont`, `sansfont`, `monofont`, `mathfont`, `CJKmainfont`
variables for the font names and the corresponding `mainfontoptions` etc.
variables. The latter are lists of strings with raw fontspec[^1] options in
the format `'Option=Value'` or `'Option={Multi-word value}'`. The
easiest way is to specify them is in a defaults file[^2] like this:

    from: markdown
    to: latex
    pdf-engine: xelatex
    variables:
      mainfont: Noto Serif
      sansfont: Noto Sans
      monofont: Noto Mono
      monofontoptions:
        - 'Scale=MatchLowercase'

For some reason the default latex template[^3] does not contain any
variable for `defaultfontfeatures` but
`\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase}` is hard coded. In my custom
template I have added that variable[^4]:

    $if(defaultfontfeatures)$

\mainfontfeatures{$for(mainfontfeatures)$$mainfontfeatures$$sep$,$endfor$}
    $else$
      \defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase}
    $endif$

Font embedding depends on your XeTeX/LuaTeX settings. Usually it Just Works.

[^1]: https://ctan.org/pkg/fontspec

[^2]: https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#default-files

[^3]: https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#templates

[^4]: https://git.io/J0UJS

@ 2021-08-16  8:32       ` BPJ
       [not found]         ` <CADAJKhB_Sb1F4-LrHw=Wwh9GUYuyyN6HpENW7zue-c7Gw=3CDA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2021-08-16  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bpj; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Den mån 16 aug. 2021 10:25BPJ <bpj-J3H7GcXPSITLoDKTGw+V6w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> You use the `mainfont`, `sansfont`, `monofont`, `mathfont`, `CJKmainfont`
> variables for the font names and the corresponding `mainfontoptions` etc.
> variables. The latter are lists of strings with raw fontspec[^1] options
> in the format `'Option=Value'` or `'Option={Multi-word value}'`. The
> easiest way is to specify them is in a defaults file[^2] like this:
>
>     from: markdown
>     to: latex
>     pdf-engine: xelatex
>     variables:
>       mainfont: Noto Serif
>       sansfont: Noto Sans
>       monofont: Noto Mono
>       monofontoptions:
>         - 'Scale=MatchLowercase'
>
> For some reason the default latex template[^3] does not contain any
> variable for `defaultfontfeatures` but
> `\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase}` is hard coded. In my custom
> template I have added that variable[^4]:
>
>     $if(defaultfontfeatures)$
>
> \mainfontfeatures{$for(mainfontfeatures)$$mainfontfeatures$$sep$,$endfor$}
>     $else$

      \defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase}
>     $endif$

Sorry, a typo: it should be `defaultfontfeatures` rather than
`mainfontfeatures`. That's what happens when you copy the wrong line and
use search/replace to make up for it! :-/

@ 2021-08-16 15:09           ` Hugh Esco
       [not found]             ` <512edc0d-8cbb-4e97-92b9-5cd1a1bdfffen-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hugh Esco @ 2021-08-16 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

My attempts to test this yield errors looking like this:

```
$ pandoc --defaults `pwd`/defaults --latex-engine=lualatex
--template=my_client.latex my_source_file.pdc -o my_result_file.pdf
pandoc: unrecognized option `--defaults'
Try pandoc --help for more information.
```
looking at the --help output yields this:

```
$ pandoc --help | grep default
  -D FORMAT             --print-default-template=FORMAT
                        --print-default-data-file=FILE
                        --default-image-extension=extension
```

but no `--defaults` switch.  What am I missing here, please?

-- Hugh

@ 2021-08-16 15:45               ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2021-08-16 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You probably need to upgrade pandoc.
What does pandoc --version say?

@ 2021-08-16 15:54               ` Hugh Esco
From: Hugh Esco @ 2021-08-16 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I also tried adding that yaml to the template (no-go); and to
`my_source_file.pdc`, which was the most promising, successfully producing
a latex or pdf file, depending on the result file extension I provided.  I
am now expirementing to determine if changing the font will change the
result file.

@ 2021-08-16 15:55                 ` Hugh Esco
       [not found]                   ` <f3ace520-a935-4bae-a6f3-0790f0d51b3fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hugh Esco @ 2021-08-16 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

pandoc 1.19.2.4
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.17.0.5, texmath 0.9.4.4, skylighting 0.3.3.1
Default user data directory: /home/hesco/.pandoc
Copyright (C) 2006-2016 John MacFarlane
Web:  http://pandoc.org

@ 2021-08-16 16:10                     ` Hugh Esco
       [not found]                       ` <a821baa9-eb79-4bf9-9a1e-7a2c3b4714dfn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hugh Esco @ 2021-08-16 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

OK, this seems to be working better now:

```
pandoc 2.14.1
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.22, texmath 0.12.3, skylighting 0.11,
citeproc 0.4.1, ipynb 0.1.0.1
User data directory: /home/hesco/.pandoc
Copyright (C) 2006-2021 John MacFarlane. Web:  https://pandoc.org
```

NEXT QUESTIONS:

What path is being searched for fonts?
How do I know what my options are?

@ 2021-08-16 16:31                         ` Hugh Esco
       [not found]                           ` <0735c963-74ca-4917-99d7-2b058b0d205cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hugh Esco @ 2021-08-16 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Reason I ask is that this query of my file system was not very helpful to
narrowing down what path to a noto font was being used, or what file
extension I might be interested in as I explore my options to satisfy my
client's requirements.

```
$ find /usr/share/ -name noto
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/google/noto
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/enc/dvips/noto
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/google/noto
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/noto
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/google/noto
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/google/noto
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/google/noto
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/noto
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto
/usr/share/fonts/opentype/noto
```

@ 2021-08-17 17:03                             ` BPJ
       [not found]                               ` <895ca2cc-d5a6-c55a-ddbb-ea3ca9c441e4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2021-08-17 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 2021-08-16 18:31, Hugh Esco wrote:
> Reason I ask is that this query of my file system was not very helpful to
> narrowing down what path to a noto font was being used, or what file
> extension I might be interested in as I explore my options to satisfy my
> client's requirements.
>
> ```
> $ find /usr/share/ -name noto
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/google/noto
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/enc/dvips/noto
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/google/noto
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/noto
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/google/noto
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/google/noto
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/google/noto
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/noto
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto
> /usr/share/fonts/opentype/noto
> ```

There is info in secs 2.2 and 2.3 of the fontspec docs which I linked to
earlier on how to load fonts by path and file name. Basically like this
if doing it from a defaults file:

``````yaml
from: markdown
to: latex
pdf-engine: xelatex
variables:
   mainfont: NotoSerif-Condensed
   mainfontoptions: &fontoptions
     - 'Path=/home/benct/.fonts/Noto/'
     - 'UprightFont=*Medium.ttf'
     - 'BoldFont=*SemiBold.ttf'
     - 'ItalicFont=*MediumItalic.ttf'
     - 'BoldItalicFont=*SemiBoldItalic.ttf'
   sansfont: NotoSans-Condensed
   sansfontoptions: *fontoptions
   monofont: NotoSansMono-
   monofontoptions:
     - 'Path=/home/benct/.fonts/Noto/'
     - 'UprightFont=*Medium.ttf'
     - 'BoldFont=*SemiBold.ttf'
``````

Pandoc just copies all this into the fontspec `\setmainfont` etc.
commands. It is possible that the quotes aren't always necessary but the
likelihood that the YAML parser doesn't like asterisks in unquoted
strings is high, so use quotes when in doubt.
You can use YAML anchors and references to save on the typing inside the
same defaults file but as you see I couldn't do it with SansMono because
it doesn't have any italic styles. You could fake italic with fontspec's
FakeSlant feature if you really needed it.

@ 2021-08-18 17:52                                 ` Hugh Esco
       [not found]                                   ` <e775729a-ce74-4727-a451-bc9058b5086en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hugh Esco @ 2021-08-18 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you @BP !!! that seems to have moved me forward.
One more question, please, if I may; . . .

When I add variables.fontsize: 12pt, I am able to bump the font size up a
bit, but when I make it 14pt, it looks as if I said 10pt, and I get two
more complete paragraphs on page 1.

I'm using this  font:
https://ctan.org/pkg/tinos

Is there some version of Times (my client's preference) which would support
a larger font than 12pt?   And more importantly, how is it would can
effectively search for this information myself?

-- Hugh

@ 2021-08-18 18:06                                     ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2021-08-18 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss