* Plain text input
@ 2015-11-17 10:12 Neil Youngman
       [not found] ` <8e9e08e4-1eb5-4620-9a0d-5afa1d31166b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Neil Youngman @ 2015-11-17 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm trying to find something that will convert CJK plain text to a
graphical format. So far the only likely candidate I have found is Pandoc
with GNU unifont to convert to PDF and the ghostscript to produce TIFF.

Pandoc does not appear to have a plain text input format, so if I go down
this route, I may have to preprocess the text and escape any markdown
characters. Is there an option I've missed to turn off markdown completely,
a pre existing script to preprocess the text or some other more suitable
program that I should be considering?

* Re: Plain text input
       [not found] ` <8e9e08e4-1eb5-4620-9a0d-5afa1d31166b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-17 13:45   ` lukshuntim-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]     ` <564B2F5C.9050504-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: lukshuntim-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-11-17 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11/17/2015 06:12 PM, Neil Youngman wrote:
> I'm trying to find something that will convert CJK plain text to a
> graphical format. So far the only likely candidate I have found is
> Pandoc with GNU unifont to convert to PDF and the ghostscript to produce
> TIFF.
>
> Pandoc does not appear to have a plain text input format, so if I go
> down this route, I may have to preprocess the text and escape any
> markdown characters. Is there an option I've missed to turn off markdown
> completely, a pre existing script to preprocess the text or some other
> more suitable program that I should be considering?

Hi Neil,

There's should be no problem for pandoc if your CJK text is in utf-8.

Regards,
ST

* Re: Plain text input
       [not found]     ` <564B2F5C.9050504-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-17 14:15       ` Neil Youngman
       [not found]         ` <edf3f806-94a1-4ae1-ad9c-0338c5469526-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Neil Youngman @ 2015-11-17 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Tuesday, 17 November 2015 13:45:09 UTC, lukshuntim wrote:

> On 11/17/2015 06:12 PM, Neil Youngman wrote:
> > I'm trying to find something that will convert CJK plain text to a
> > graphical format. So far the only likely candidate I have found is
> > Pandoc with GNU unifont to convert to PDF and the ghostscript to produce
> > TIFF.
> >
> > Pandoc does not appear to have a plain text input format, so if I go
> > down this route, I may have to preprocess the text and escape any
> > markdown characters. Is there an option I've missed to turn off markdown
> > completely, a pre existing script to preprocess the text or some other
> > more suitable program that I should be considering?
>
> Hi Neil,
>
> There's should be no problem for pandoc if your CJK text is in utf-8.
>
> Regards,
> ST
> --
>
> The problem is making sure that it doesn't interpret any punctuation as
markdown. Verbatim might be useful, but if I put backticks around Japanese
characters they disappear from the output.

An option to turn off markdown completely would be great, but as a
non-Haskell programmer I can't just dive into the source.

I am currently thinking I will wrap backticks around all characters in the
ASCII range except backticks.

* Re: Plain text input
       [not found]         ` <edf3f806-94a1-4ae1-ad9c-0338c5469526-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-17 16:16           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20151117161647.GC5230-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-11-17 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If you just want the text as one big string, you can try
running this Haskell program:

-- plain.hs
import Text.Pandoc.Definition

main = do
  inp <- getContents
  print $ Pandoc nullMeta [Para [Str inp]]

Run as:  runghc plain.hs < inputfile.txt | pandoc -f native -o my.pdf

But you probably want to retain some structural formatting,
e.g. paragraphs?

+++ Neil Youngman [Nov 17 15 06:15 ]:
>   On Tuesday, 17 November 2015 13:45:09 UTC, lukshuntim wrote:
>
>     On 11/17/2015 06:12 PM, Neil Youngman wrote:
>     > I'm trying to find something that will convert CJK plain text to a
>     > graphical format. So far the only likely candidate I have found is
>     > Pandoc with GNU unifont to convert to PDF and the ghostscript to
>     produce
>     > TIFF.
>     >
>     > Pandoc does not appear to have a plain text input format, so if I
>     go
>     > down this route, I may have to preprocess the text and escape any
>     > markdown characters. Is there an option I've missed to turn off
>     markdown
>     > completely, a pre existing script to preprocess the text or some
>     other
>     > more suitable program that I should be considering?
>     Hi Neil,
>     There's should be no problem for pandoc if your CJK text is in
>     utf-8.
>     Regards,
>     ST
>     --
>
>   The problem is making sure that it doesn't interpret any punctuation as
>   markdown. Verbatim might be useful, but if I put backticks around
>   Japanese characters they disappear from the output.
>   An option to turn off markdown completely would be great, but as a
>   non-Haskell programmer I can't just dive into the source.
>   I am currently thinking I will wrap backticks around all characters in
>   the ASCII range except backticks.
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>   [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/edf3f806-94a1-4ae1-
>   ad9c-0338c5469526%40googlegroups.com.
>
>References

>   2. mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>   3. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/edf3f806-94a1-4ae1-ad9c-0338c5469526-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>   4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

* Re: Plain text input
       [not found]             ` <20151117161647.GC5230-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-17 22:17               ` Neil Youngman
       [not found]                 ` <944f76c0-db57-4272-a137-d4fb793f5de8-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Neil Youngman @ 2015-11-17 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

> But you probably want to retain some structural formatting,
> e.g. paragraphs?
>
> I want it as close as possible to what I'd get running cat in an xterm, so
I want line breaks retained, but long lines should be wrapped. I don;t want
adjacent lines to be treated as a paragraph and run together.

I'll have a play tomorrow and see if I can get that Haskell to work.

* Re: Plain text input
       [not found]                 ` <944f76c0-db57-4272-a137-d4fb793f5de8-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-17 22:29                   ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]                     ` <20151117222952.GA72066-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2015-11-17 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Just put the whole thing in a code block, then, and set your
desired font as `monofont`.

To do this, create a file 'border' containing just a line
with 3 backticks

```

Then, assuming input.txt contains your Chinese text,

pandoc -o output.pdf border input.txt border

+++ Neil Youngman [Nov 17 15 14:17 ]:

@ 2015-11-17 22:43   ` Daniel Staal
From: Daniel Staal @ 2015-11-17 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

--As of November 17, 2015 2:12:05 AM -0800, Neil Youngman is alleged to
have said:

> I'm trying to find something that will convert CJK plain text to a
> graphical format. So far the only likely candidate I have found is Pandoc
> with GNU unifont to convert to PDF and the ghostscript to produce TIFF.
>
> Pandoc does not appear to have a plain text input format, so if I go down
> this route, I may have to preprocess the text and escape any markdown
> characters. Is there an option I've missed to turn off markdown
> completely,  a pre existing script to preprocess the text or some other
> more suitable  program that I should be considering?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Another thought would be to tell pandoc that it's in some other (more
intrusive) markup format - one that doesn't overlap with what is in your
documents, but is still plain-text enough to let through your content
without causing issues. MediaWiki would look like a good bet - it's markup
is a bit more oddball and less likely to be something that would cause
issues.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

* Re: Plain text input
       [not found]             ` <20151117161647.GC5230-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-18 10:32               ` Neil Youngman
       [not found]                 ` <fdfdd54d-aecc-4f57-9722-ef63716ff2a9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Neil Youngman @ 2015-11-18 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Tuesday, 17 November 2015 16:17:03 UTC, John MacFarlane wrote:

> If you just want the text as one big string, you can try
> running this Haskell program:
>
> -- plain.hs
> import Text.Pandoc.Definition
>
> main = do
>   inp <- getContents
>   print $ Pandoc nullMeta [Para [Str inp]]
>

> Run as:  runghc plain.hs < inputfile.txt | pandoc -f native -o my.pdf

Pandoc doesn't like the  output. It complains about undefined control
characters \r, \n and \3 (start of escaped Japanese character).

* Re: Plain text input
       [not found]                     ` <20151117222952.GA72066-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-18 10:36                       ` Neil Youngman
From: Neil Youngman @ 2015-11-18 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Tuesday, 17 November 2015 22:30:09 UTC, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Just put the whole thing in a code block, then, and set your
> desired font as `monofont`.
>
> To do this, create a file 'border' containing just a line
> with 3 backticks
>
> ```
>
> Then, assuming input.txt contains your Chinese text,
>
> pandoc -o output.pdf border input.txt border

The code blocks don't wrap the long lines. Other than that the results are
pretty good.

* Re: Plain text input
       [not found]                 ` <fdfdd54d-aecc-4f57-9722-ef63716ff2a9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-18 16:53                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <20151118165308.GK23220-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-11-18 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Neil Youngman [Nov 18 15 02:32 ]:
>   On Tuesday, 17 November 2015 16:17:03 UTC, John MacFarlane wrote:
>
>     If you just want the text as one big string, you can try
>     running this Haskell program:
>     -- plain.hs
>     import Text.Pandoc.Definition
>     main = do
>       inp <- getContents
>       print $ Pandoc nullMeta [Para [Str inp]]
>     Run as:  runghc plain.hs < inputfile.txt | pandoc -f native -o
>     my.pdf
>
>   Pandoc doesn't like the  output. It complains about undefined control
>   characters \r, \n and \3 (start of escaped Japanese character).

Try the code block approach I outlined in my later message.

* Re: Plain text input
       [not found]                     ` <20151118165308.GK23220-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-18 17:00                       ` Neil Youngman
From: Neil Youngman @ 2015-11-18 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Wednesday, 18 November 2015 16:53:23 UTC, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Try the code block approach I outlined in my later message.

As I said earlier, that doesn't wrap long lines. I guess I could sort that
with some preprocessing.

Thanks

Neil

* Re: Plain text input
       [not found]                 ` <fdfdd54d-aecc-4f57-9722-ef63716ff2a9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-18 17:04                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <20151118170403.GL23220-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-11-18 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Neil Youngman [Nov 18 15 02:32 ]:
>   On Tuesday, 17 November 2015 16:17:03 UTC, John MacFarlane wrote:
>
>     If you just want the text as one big string, you can try
>     running this Haskell program:
>     -- plain.hs
>     import Text.Pandoc.Definition
>     main = do
>       inp <- getContents
>       print $ Pandoc nullMeta [Para [Str inp]]
>     Run as:  runghc plain.hs < inputfile.txt | pandoc -f native -o
>     my.pdf
>
>   Pandoc doesn't like the  output. It complains about undefined control
>   characters \r, \n and \3 (start of escaped Japanese character).

I don't know about the `\3` (is your text UTF8?)

As for the rest, we can try something like:

-- plain.hs
import Text.Pandoc.Definition
import Text.Pandoc.Builder
import qualified Data.Text as T
import qualified Data.Text.IO as TIO
import Data.Monoid

main = do
  inp <- TIO.getContents
  -- break into paragraphs
  let pars = T.splitOn (T.pack "\n\n") $ T.filter (/= '\r') inp
  print $ doc $ mconcat $ map (\par -> para (text (T.unpack par))) pars

* Re: Plain text input
       [not found]                     ` <20151118170403.GL23220-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-11-19 11:29                       ` Neil Youngman
From: Neil Youngman @ 2015-11-19 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)