* Problem with "a.k.a." abbreviation in citeproc titles
@ 2017-10-12 14:00 Joseph Reagle
       [not found] ` <5ae63233-a3d4-79c7-ba13-6ffa62a99d0b-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-10-12 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	development discussion for xbiblio

I'm not sure if the problem is my data, citeproc, or the CSL. The problem is the awkward casing of "A.k.a." when `--style-csl chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl`:

Paul Buchheit, “Applied Philosophy, A.k.a. ‘Hacking’,” Web log message, (October 13, 2009), http://paulbuchheit.blogspot.com/2009/10/applied-philosophy-aka-hacking.html.↩

My data:

---
- id: Buchheit2009apk
  type: post-weblog
  genre: Web log message
  abstract: "Developer of Gmail discusses hacking of systems"
  author:
  - family: "Buchheit"
    given: "Paul"
  custom2: "lh.mm"
  issued:
    year: 2009
    month: 10
    day: 13
  title: "Applied philosophy, a.k.a. \'hacking\'"

Should I be somehow escaping punctuated initialisms?

* Re: Problem with "a.k.a." abbreviation in citeproc titles
       [not found] ` <5ae63233-a3d4-79c7-ba13-6ffa62a99d0b-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-12 14:55   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20171012145527.GA39195-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-12 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: development discussion for xbiblio

Pandoc follows the CSL docs:

> "Title case conversion (with text-case set to “title”) for English-language
> items is performed by:
>
> For uppercase strings, the first character of each word remains capitalized.
> All other letters are lowercased.
> For lower or mixed case strings, the first character of each lowercase word
> is capitalized. The case of words in mixed or uppercase stays the same.
> In both cases, stop words are lowercased, unless they are the first or last
> word in the string, or follow a colon. The stop words are “a”, “an”, “and”,
> “as”, “at”, “but”, “by”, “down”, “for”, “from”, “in”, “into”, “nor”, “of”,
> “on”, “onto”, “or”, “over”, “so”, “the”, “till”, “to”, “up”, “via”, “with”,
> and “yet”.

As far as I can see, this says that "a.k.a." should be
capitalized (even though obviously that's not a good
outcome).

It seems to me that a good rule would be that any word
containing an internal period should have its case left
alone, but it would be good to get feedback from the
CSL/Zotero side.

+++ Joseph Reagle [Oct 12 17 10:00 ]:

@ 2017-10-12 15:19       ` Sebastian Karcher
       [not found]         ` <CAOSYSD47a9WBJsn74adu0n9L7PuytQDA0r+_6qXt89=fb0Gkwg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sebastian Karcher @ 2017-10-12 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: development discussion for xbiblio; +Cc: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John's interpretation of the specification looks clearly correct to me,
i.e. pandoc-citeproc is behaving according to the specification.
citeproc-js (i.e. Zotero, Mendeley, etc.) actually keeps a.k.a in
lowercase, though, when title casing, i.e. goes beyond/against (depending
on your view) the spec here -- it'd be great if Frank could point to the
exact test or rule he uses and we could consider that for the next
iteration of the specifications. It may just be what John suggests, but I'd
want to see if it captures additional conditions/cases.

(Joseph -- you're aware of the <span class="nocase">a.k.a.</span> wrapper
you can use to disable title-casing? I'm pretty sure that works in pandoc)

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 10:55 AM, John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Pandoc follows the CSL docs:
>
> "Title case conversion (with text-case set to “title”) for English-language
>> items is performed by:
>>
>> For uppercase strings, the first character of each word remains
>> capitalized.
>> All other letters are lowercased.
>> For lower or mixed case strings, the first character of each lowercase
>> word
>> is capitalized. The case of words in mixed or uppercase stays the same.
>> In both cases, stop words are lowercased, unless they are the first or
>> last
>> word in the string, or follow a colon. The stop words are “a”, “an”,
>> “and”,
>> “as”, “at”, “but”, “by”, “down”, “for”, “from”, “in”, “into”, “nor”, “of”,
>> “on”, “onto”, “or”, “over”, “so”, “the”, “till”, “to”, “up”, “via”,
>> “with”,
>> and “yet”.
>>

> As far as I can see, this says that "a.k.a." should be
> capitalized (even though obviously that's not a good
> outcome).
>
> It seems to me that a good rule would be that any word
> containing an internal period should have its case left
> alone, but it would be good to get feedback from the
> CSL/Zotero side.
>
> +++ Joseph Reagle [Oct 12 17 10:00 ]:
>
>> I'm not sure if the problem is my data, citeproc, or the CSL. The problem
>> is the awkward casing of "A.k.a." when `--style-csl
>> chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl`:
>>
>> Paul Buchheit, “Applied Philosophy, A.k.a. ‘Hacking’,” Web log message,
>> (October 13, 2009), http://paulbuchheit.blogspot.c
>> om/2009/10/applied-philosophy-aka-hacking.html.↩
>>

>> My data:
>>
>> ---
>> - id: Buchheit2009apk
>>  type: post-weblog
>>  genre: Web log message
>>  abstract: "Developer of Gmail discusses hacking of systems"
>>  author:
>>  - family: "Buchheit"
>>    given: "Paul"
>>  custom2: "lh.mm"
>>  issued:
>>    year: 2009
>>    month: 10
>>    day: 13
>>  title: "Applied philosophy, a.k.a. \'hacking\'"
>>
>> Should I be somehow escaping punctuated initialisms?
>>
>> --

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

@ 2017-10-13 13:26           ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-10-13 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: development discussion for xbiblio, Sebastian Karcher
  Cc: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 10/12/17 11:19 AM, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
> (Joseph -- you're aware of the <span class="nocase">a.k.a.</span>
> wrapper you can use to disable title-casing? I'm pretty sure that
> works in pandoc)
Thanks, I'll do that.