Thanks. I gave it a shot and gave up after another an hour of trial and error. What language do the pandoc templates use? is it syntax that's pandoc-specific or a language whose grammar is documented some place or other? Anyway I have given up on this and as a work-around I put together a shell script that: 1. runs pandoc to create the epub 2. unzips the epub 3. runs some standard *nix tools to fix the cover.xhtml file (head, cat, sed…) and add "properties=svg" to its reference in the content.opf "manifest" 4. zips back the epub 5. runs epubcheck to verify the resulting epub's conformity. qwick and dirty... not flexible.. works for me… In any case, since programs that specialize in epub editing/handling such as sigil or calibre appear to use this svg wrapper strategy in order to ensure that the cover image is scaled to cover the entire display area of the e-reader's screen, my feeling about this is that when the --epub-cover-image option is used… perhaps pandoc should do likewise and generate this type of code *BY DEFAULT*... rather than via a custom template...? Thanks, SM On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 12:24:42 PM UTC-4, Sal Migondis wrote: > > Is there any way I can customize the generated EPUB/text/cover.xhtml file > created by pandoc? > > Basically I would need to replace the default: > >