* Simple filter to strip outer math environment, for use in Typora?
@ 2018-06-24 18:37 Gandalf Saxe
From: Gandalf Saxe @ 2018-06-24 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm frequently using Typora <https://typora.io>, which have the problem
that this will not show up as a live math preview:

\begin{align}
\end{align}

, however this will:

$$
> \begin{align}
> \end{align}
> $$

But since nested math environments are not allowed in LaTeX, one will get
this error when trying to convert .md to .pdf with pandoc:

! Package amsmath Error: Erroneous nesting of equation structures;
> (amsmath)                trying to recover with `aligned'.

I've tried `aligned`, and the problem is that it's not equivalent to
`align` since none of the lines are numbered.
So I could really need a filter to simply strip the outer displaymath
environment, so that I could write:

$$
> \begin{align}
> \end{align}
> $$

But filter the AST such that only the align is left.

\begin{align}
> \end{align}

This filter would be very useful to all Typora users who are also using
pandoc. I suspect this should be pretty easy if you know how. Would
appreciate any help.