* Pandoc adding backslashes and grave accents when converting to md
@ 2022-07-20  5:03 PhilMac
From: PhilMac @ 2022-07-20  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm getting backslashes and grave accents in my files when converting to md
from rtf. (These are files I previously exported from Apple's Pages app to
RTF.) The backslashes come at the ends of lines and also before multiple
periods (such as an ellipsis), and the grave accents surround characters
including smart quotes and em-dashes and also appear at the start of most
(but not all) lines in the document. The command I'm using to go from rtf
to md  is:

for f in *.rtf; do pandoc --wrap=none "$f" -s -o "${f%.rtf}.md"; done
When I export the same files from Pages to docx and then convert to md, I
don't get the grave accents, but I do get some backslashes at the ends of
lines. I also get *[“]{dir="rtl"}* where there's a left double quotation
mark and *[’]{dir="rtl"}* where there's a smart apostrophe (i.e. a right
single quotation mark). This code is something in HTML
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Global_attributes/dir>
to do with scripts such as Arabic that are read right-to-left—I'm clueless
as to what that has to do my documents, which use only English and were
never in HTML. The command I'm using to go from docx to md is:

for f in *.docx; do pandoc --wrap=none -t markdown-smart "$f" -s -o
"${f%.docx}.md"; done
(I have to use *-t markdown-smart*, or the smart quotes aren't preserved.
But I have a similar issue if I leave it out: I get ["]{dir="rtl"} and

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on? Clearly there are
issues with these files—though not ones that are apparent in Pages—but I
have no idea what the issues are.