* change line spacing in table without affecting header/footer layout (MD -> PDF)
@ 2017-10-15 18:04 Salim B
From: Salim B @ 2017-10-15 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi there,

Basically I'm trying to set different line spacings for the general
document on one hand and for tables on the other hand. The motivation is
that I want to have a general line spacing of 1.5, but that doesn't look
good in tables which have multiline cells (and makes them unncecessary
long). So I'm trying to set a different line spacing for the tables only.
Currently I'm inserting the following Latex commands before a table and
wrapping this in a Latex group to only affect the table by the commands:

\begingroup
\singlespace
\renewcommand*{\arraystretch}{1.5}

... here would come the table ...

\endgroup

Now the problem is that if the table is placed at the very end of the page
or spans over mulitple pages the headers and footers of those pages are
affected by the \singlespace and \renewcommand*{\arraystretch}{1.5}
commands above.

I have created the following Markdown document as a minimal working example
to demostrate the problem:

---
documentclass: scrreprt
linestretch: 1.5
header-includes:
  - \pagestyle{headings}
  - \usepackage{scrlayer-scrpage}
  - \KOMAoptions{headsepline = on}
  - \KOMAoptions{footsepline = on}
  - \addtokomafont{pageheadfoot}{\normalfont\small}
  - \addtokomafont{pagenumber}{\small}
  - \ModifyLayer[addvoffset = 3pt]{scrheadings.head.below.line}
  - \ModifyLayer[addvoffset = 3pt]{plain.scrheadings.head.below.line}
---

# Test Document

_Nothing more here, go to the following pages..._

\newpage

This is a page to demonstrate correct header/footer layout.

\newpage

On this page the header/footer layout is messed up because of the table
below.

\begingroup
\singlespace
\renewcommand*{\arraystretch}{1.5}

| Right | Left | Default | Center | Multi-line column |
|------:|:-----|---------|:------:| ----------------- |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  | Some random text that doesn't fit on a
single line because it consists of way tooooooooooo many characters |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  | Some random text that doesn't fit on a
single line because it consists of way tooooooooooo many characters |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  | Some random text that doesn't fit on a
single line because it consists of way tooooooooooo many characters |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  | Some random text that doesn't fit on a
single line because it consists of way tooooooooooo many characters |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  | Some random text that doesn't fit on a
single line because it consists of way tooooooooooo many characters |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  | Some random text that doesn't fit on a
single line because it consists of way tooooooooooo many characters |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  | Some random text that doesn't fit on a
single line because it consists of way tooooooooooo many characters |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  | Some random text that doesn't fit on a
single line because it consists of way tooooooooooo many characters |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  | Some random text that doesn't fit on a
single line because it consists of way tooooooooooo many characters |
|  123  |  123 |   123   |   123  | Some random text that doesn't fit on a
single line because it consists of way tooooooooooo many characters |

  : Test Table

\endgroup

On this page the header/footer is fine again because the page doesn't end
with a table.

A simpler header-includes key would consist of only the following which
demonstrates the problem as well, but in a less visible manner since only
the header is affected then:

header-includes:
  - \pagestyle{headings}
  - \KOMAoptions{headsepline = on}

I've attached the MVE Markdown and the PDF produced with pandoc
--output=test_document_2.pdf test_document_2.md to this post.

My questions now include:

   1. Is there a better way to change the line spacing in tables that
   doesn't affect the rest of the document layout (ideally something I could
   define in the header-includes key)?
   2. Or alternatively, can I add something to avoid the misplaced
   headers/footers to the example above?