On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 7:45:39 AM UTC-5, Scot Mcphee wrote: > > > On 06 Jan 2017, at 05:07 , John Muccigrosso > wrote: > > pandockers, > > (Thought I might have coined a phrase, but I see it's been used a couple > of times. @jgm, you should ™ that.) > > I just found out that I'm doing a workshop at the NYC DH week in a month > (Feb 9, 1-3pm, to be precise). I've called it "Making the most of text: > Using a text-only workflow with markdown and pandoc". > > Any suggestions/tips gratefully appreciated. > > > Hi John > > What sort of suggestions were you after. I do quite a lot of DH in > Classics on the programming side, but my thesis (which is not DH-based, but > straight classics/ancient history) is fully written in pandoc style > markdown. Classics has been using digital tools a lot longer than most > other humanities disciplines (witness Perseus), because of its long > relationship with philology, linguistics, and use of tools like > concordances. > > Whenever I strike my fellow postgrads struggling with Word issues, I keep > telling people to use markdown to write their thesis in markdown. They > freak out. They think it’s difficult, when a thesis document nearly all > text and simple to write in markdown. Our systems pretty much train them in > undergraduate courses to use Word and never let up from that point. > > Scot. > > -- > Scot Mcphee > Computer Programmer, Classics PhD. > p +61 412 957414 > e scot....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org > w http://autonomous.org/ > > t @scotartt > Scott, I'm looking for whatever people have found useful when introducing the concept of a text-only workflow to academics, and then adding the pandoc icing on the cake. So it's wide open. :-) I expect most people to be beginners or even completely new to the idea, though they will sign up for the workshop and so be self-selected, which should mean that they are at least open to the idea. So fire away. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/0f45a959-6d8b-4fa6-bc9e-541cd62976b0%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.