* problem setting style after blocktext in docx output
@ 2021-10-27 16:28 Landon Yarrington
       [not found] ` <ba599eb3-3129-4658-9701-b9243d6c793en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Landon Yarrington @ 2021-10-27 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm trying to process block quotes in a way such that the following
paragraph directly after a block quote is styled as a continuation of the
paragraph in which the blockquote is nested. I tried several different
styles, but cannot seem to achieve this. I almost filed an issue on GH, but
thought twice :-)

I'm using pandoc 2.15 with the following command.

`pandoc -N -t docx -f
markdown+markdown_attribute+mmd_link_attributes+simple_tables+multiline_tables+auto_identifiers+table_captions+yaml_metadata_block+raw_attribute+implicit_figures+latex_macros+header_attributes
--reference-doc=ref_template.docx example.md -o TEST_example.docx`
Is this a user-error, a problem with my ref_template.docx, or what?

And here's `example.md`
````
# Heading1

Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.

Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.

## Heading 2

Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text.

Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text. Here's some text.

> Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time.
Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time.
Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time.
Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time.
Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time.

Back to the text. Back to the text. Back to the text. Back to the text.
Back to the text.

Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
Here's some text. Here's some text.
````

[-- Attachment #2: ref_template.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 25904 bytes --]

* Re: problem setting style after blocktext in docx output
       [not found] ` <ba599eb3-3129-4658-9701-b9243d6c793en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-10-27 16:32   ` Landon Yarrington
       [not found]     ` <86c4d6cd-4ea3-41ad-aae9-c301f049a2can-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Landon Yarrington @ 2021-10-27 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

To clarify, in the MRE above, my goal is to get the paragraph immediately
after the blockquote to render as "Body Text 2" according to the style in
the ref_template.docx. Using this and every other stylesheet I've made, the
following paragraphs always come out as style "First Paragraph."

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 12:28:02 PM UTC-4 Landon Yarrington wrote:

> I'm trying to process block quotes in a way such that the following
> paragraph directly after a block quote is styled as a continuation of the
> paragraph in which the blockquote is nested. I tried several different
> styles, but cannot seem to achieve this. I almost filed an issue on GH, but
> thought twice :-)
>
> I'm using pandoc 2.15 with the following command.
>
> `pandoc -N -t docx -f
> markdown+markdown_attribute+mmd_link_attributes+simple_tables+multiline_tables+auto_identifiers+table_captions+yaml_metadata_block+raw_attribute+implicit_figures+latex_macros+header_attributes
> --reference-doc=ref_template.docx example.md -o TEST_example.docx`
> Is this a user-error, a problem with my ref_template.docx, or what?
>
> And here's `example.md`
> ````
> # Heading1
>
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
>
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
>
> ## Heading 2
>
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text.
>
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text. Here's some text.
>
> > Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time.
> Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time.
> Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time.
> Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time.
> Block quote time. Block quote time. Block quote time.
>
> Back to the text. Back to the text. Back to the text. Back to the text.
> Back to the text.
>
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.
> Here's some text. Here's some text.
> ````

* AW: problem setting style after blocktext in docx output
       [not found]     ` <86c4d6cd-4ea3-41ad-aae9-c301f049a2can-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-10-27 16:38       ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]         ` <a1d780a852754aec85dbf01a13456754-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-10-27 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What do you want to achieve visually? Suppress indents? If so, just style first paragraph accordingly.

Best
Denis

[...]

Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text. Here's some text.

@ 2021-10-27 16:40           ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-10-27 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ah should have looked at your ref-doc first. Now I understand. First-paragraph is already used for something else, and has indents...

@ 2021-10-27 16:47   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-10-27 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Landon Yarrington, pandoc-discuss

The pandoc document model doesn't permit a distinction between
(blockquote + continuation) and (blockquote + new paragraph).
Since by default we use whitespace between paragraphs and no
paragraph indentation, this isn't a big issue for the default
output, but if you change settings to use indented paragraphs
without surrounding whitespace, then it becomes an issue.

For LaTeX/PDF output, I work around this by adding an explicit
\noindent before the following paragraph, but that doesn't
work if you're targeting docx.

Does anyonoe know of a good workaround for docx output?
One possibility would be to use a custom style (see the manual).

@ 2021-10-27 16:56       ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-10-27 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If all you want is to prevent indentation, you can use a filter that I wrote for a similar need: https://github.com/badumont/lua-filters/tree/complex-paragraphs/complex-paragraphs (which supports other output formats and enables you to control more precisely what is indented or not). If you really need to set a style, the following filter should work:

```
is_preceding_BlockQuote = false

function Block(block)
  if block.t == 'BlockQuote' then
    is_preceding_BlockQuote = true
  elseif is_preceding_BlockQuote == true then
    is_preceding_BlockQuote = false
    return pandoc.Div(block, {['custom-style'] = 'Body Text 2'})
  end
end
```

@ 2021-10-27 20:19         ` Landon Yarrington
       [not found]           ` <1b625016-e8cd-4400-9492-fae034e235d8n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Landon Yarrington @ 2021-10-27 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for the prompt responses and earnest help.

*John*: I had defined the custom style in the style sheet I attached,
specifying that the `Block Text` style should be followed by `Body Text 2`
style. I assumed that was enough because this functionality seems to work
with regard to `First Paragraph` and `Body Text` styles ("this
functionality" meaning that pandoc seems to abide by the `Style for
following paragraph` feature). Is this assumption incorrect? At any rate,
following through with the `+fenced_divs` attribute worked and implemented
the `Body Text 2` style. For future reference, you must do as the manual
indicates and surround the chunk immediately following the blockquote in:

::: {custom-style="Body Text 2"}
Rest of chunk.
:::

*Bastien*: Thanks for pointing me to your lua filter. I had a hard time
getting the snippet you shared in this thread to work, most likely because
I don't know lua and trying to put out 1million fires. However, when I
examined your lua filter on github, I was able to work that. For my
particular case, I didn't like the fact it rendered the subsequent hunk as
`First Paragraph + unindented` (or some such). It was instructive to see
the exact openxml code required to implement the fix, which I was able to
reproduce in an Rmarkdown document as:

```{=openxml}
<w:pPr>
    <w:pStyle w:val="BodyText"/>
    <w:ind w:hanging="0"/>
    <w:rPr></w:rPr></w:pPr>
```

So for Rmarkdown users looking to render text after blockquotes in a sort
of "keep with preceding" style, then pasting the above snippet works.

@ 2021-10-27 22:48             ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-10-27 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

In principle, the code snippet is a filter on its own that should just work as is. Hoever, you may have some complexities in your file that I hadn't anticipated.

Just as a side note, the solution implemented in "complex-paragraphs.lua" produces invalid OOXML code, but it turns out that both Word and LibreOffice handle it in the way we want.

@ 2022-03-10 20:44         ` Paul Kelleher
       [not found]           ` <bc83b25d-d676-4582-ba04-830e3f378c2an-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Kelleher @ 2022-03-10 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you so much for posting this filter that converts the paragraph after
block quote to Body Text 2! It worked great for me. But: I also have other
element environments (e.g. equations) that I'd like to suppress indents
after when I use pandoc to compile md to docx. I couldn't get your complex
paragraphs filter to work for me. However, I'm already used to writing
"\noindent" from my LaTeX days (and it helps to have that if I want to
compile md to tex anyway). Would it be possible to write a filter that
assigns the Block Text 2 style to every paragraph that starts with
"\noindent"?

@ 2022-03-11  7:22             ` BPJ
       [not found]               ` <CADAJKhDFJSM=6eeoNszTwjKczgKPDTzAZZSN1O+jO6C7cCoKCw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-03-11  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You can use a custom-style div:

``````markdown
::: {custom-style="Body Text 2"}
Paragraph text.
:::
``````

@ 2022-03-11 16:20                 ` Paul Kelleher
       [not found]                   ` <58f80fd9-5017-4ae2-8a86-225d3fa79463n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Kelleher @ 2022-03-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you! I was able to get this to work great for compiling from md to
docx. But if want to compile from md to pdf, I need "\noindent". If I wrote
using \noindent, could a filter be used to strip out that latex command and
then wrap the paragraph in that custom-style div?

@ 2022-03-11 17:14                     ` BPJ
       [not found]                       ` <CADAJKhBBTXWbvkdARhZTA=eNvmS+48=0wS5_EGb9CCduJVJ4EA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-03-11 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You can do it, but there are quite a few things you need to think about:

``````lua
function Para (para)
  if 'RawInline' == para.content[1].tag then
    -- Format may be 'tex' or 'latex'
    if para.content[1].format:match('tex$') then
      para.content:remove(1)
      -- It may be followed by a space
      if 'Space' == para.content[1].tag then
        para.content:remove(1)
      end
      return pandoc.Div(
        {para},
        {['custom-style'] = 'Body Text 2'}
      )
    end
  end
  return nil
end
``````

I would do it the other way around and insert the `\noindent` when
producing LaTeX (although I think it is not needed, since Pandoc sets
`parindent` to zero). The code is much simpler!

``````lua
function Div (div)
  if 'Body Text 2' == div.attributes['custom-style'] then
    if 'Para' == div.content[1].tag then
      div.content[1].content:insert(
        1,
        pandoc.RawInline('latex', "\\noindent ") -- Note the trailing space!
       )
       return div
     end
   end
   return nil
 end
 ``````

HTH,

/bpj

@ 2022-03-11 17:54                         ` Paul Kelleher
       [not found]                           ` <fd41c606-6011-4bfc-9a6e-33103faaba75n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul Kelleher @ 2022-03-11 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you!

I also just realized that since I write md with Scrivener, I can create a
component type "noindent" and then change the prefix (and, if needed,
suffix) of the block of text contained in that component. I just played
with that and it's working wonderfully. But your solutions will be very
useful if/when I'm unable to use Scrivener. Thanks again!

@ 2022-03-12  8:53                             ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2022-03-12  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: paul-JZTKsBFbLNkkm2bSNb+QWw