* Conditional Formatting
@ 2019-09-17 18:51 Craig Parker
       [not found] ` <34b81ee8-2405-5b3a-bbc9-23600a2802c5-UzRat0APdLvLPIzirxu/xA@public.gmane.org>
From: Craig Parker @ 2019-09-17 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Is there a way to have pandoc help with conditional formatting? I'm
going from markdown to html. If a list only contains top level items,
for example:

Then I'd want that list to have a different styling than one that has
nested lists. I didn't know if there were some way to write a function
or something. The styling and everything else I'd have covered.

* Re: Conditional Formatting
       [not found] ` <34b81ee8-2405-5b3a-bbc9-23600a2802c5-UzRat0APdLvLPIzirxu/xA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-09-17 19:11   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <yh480ktv9ahh68.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-09-17 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Parker, pandoc-discuss

If you're targeting HTML, then you'd style using CSS.
But I don't know if you can draw this distinction just
using CSS.

If not, you could use a lua filter that puts lists meeting
some condition in a special div with a class. That would give
you the CSS hook you need.

Craig Parker <craigp-UzRat0APdLvLPIzirxu/xA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Is there a way to have pandoc help with conditional formatting? I'm
> going from markdown to html. If a list only contains top level items,
> for example:

> Then I'd want that list to have a different styling than one that has
> nested lists. I didn't know if there were some way to write a function
> or something. The styling and everything else I'd have covered.
>
> --

* Re: Conditional Formatting
       [not found]     ` <yh480ktv9ahh68.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-09-17 19:21       ` Craig Parker
       [not found]         ` <214b77f6-5739-eba4-ff5d-ea5d1fa553b9-UzRat0APdLvLPIzirxu/xA@public.gmane.org>
From: Craig Parker @ 2019-09-17 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane, pandoc-discuss

So if I define a ul.shallow and a ul.deep in my css, you're saying a lua
filter would render (in the html) <ul class="shallow"> and <ul
class="deep"> ?

Are creating lua filters anything like coding in other languages? I know
bash and PHP...

On 9/17/19 3:11 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:
> If you're targeting HTML, then you'd style using CSS.
> But I don't know if you can draw this distinction just
> using CSS.
>
> If not, you could use a lua filter that puts lists meeting
> some condition in a special div with a class. That would give
> you the CSS hook you need.
>
> Craig Parker <craigp-UzRat0APdLvLPIzirxu/xA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to have pandoc help with conditional formatting? I'm
>> going from markdown to html. If a list only contains top level items,
>> for example:

>> Then I'd want that list to have a different styling than one that has
>> nested lists. I didn't know if there were some way to write a function
>> or something. The styling and everything else I'd have covered.
>>
>> --
Learn by Doing with Linux Academy Multicloud Training
<https://linuxacademy.com>

	*#1 Learn-by-Doing Multicloud Training Platform*

	*Craig Parker*
Technical Writer
Schedule a Meeting or Call <http://www.fossfolks.com>

125 Bear Creek Parkway. Keller. Texas 76248
LinuxAcademy.com <https://linuxacademy.com>

Learn faster and deeper with REAL Hands-On Labs.
<https://linuxacademy.sigstr.net/uc/5d5b0bc61a99af20f77b0db4>

© Linux Academy, 2019. All Rights Reserved.
Pinehead® and the Linux Academy Logo® are registered trademarks of Linux
Academy in the U.S. and other countries. Linux® is a registered
trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.

* Re: Conditional Formatting
       [not found]         ` <214b77f6-5739-eba4-ff5d-ea5d1fa553b9-UzRat0APdLvLPIzirxu/xA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-09-17 23:38           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <yh480kr24eh4s5.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-09-17 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Parker, pandoc-discuss

Craig Parker <craigp-UzRat0APdLvLPIzirxu/xA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> So if I define a ul.shallow and a ul.deep in my css, you're saying a lua
> filter would render (in the html) <ul class="shallow"> and <ul
> class="deep"> ?

No, I'm not saying that.

You could write a lua filter that would identify "shallow" and
"deep" lists, and insert a div with class "shallow" or "deep"
around the list.

Css could then have a rule like .shallow > ul or .deep > ul.

> Are creating lua filters anything like coding in other languages? I know
> bash and PHP...

sort of, yes. See the documentation for lua filters on the pandoc
website.

* Re: Conditional Formatting
       [not found]             ` <yh480kr24eh4s5.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-09-18 14:12               ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]                 ` <CAFC_yuQ3GEoYovUB+tg6iSs_hL9bDGq7RCoDT93GemZXz+CSYw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2019-09-18 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You can of course do it manually with divs in your Markdown as well:

````markdown
:::shallow

-   a
-   b
-   c

:::

:::deep

-   A
-   B

    -   a
    -   b
    -   c

-   C

:::
````

and then in your CSS:

````css
div.shallow > ul { /* style here */ }

div.deep > ul { /* style here */ }
````

The main point is that Pandoc doesn't support attributes on most elements,
so you have to put block elements inside a div and inline elements inside a
span, set the attributes on the div/span and use a child selector in CSS.

Den ons 18 sep. 2019 01:39John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> Craig Parker <craigp-UzRat0APdLvLPIzirxu/xA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > So if I define a ul.shallow and a ul.deep in my css, you're saying a lua
> > filter would render (in the html) <ul class="shallow"> and <ul
> > class="deep"> ?
>
> No, I'm not saying that.
>
> You could write a lua filter that would identify "shallow" and
> "deep" lists, and insert a div with class "shallow" or "deep"
> around the list.
>
> Css could then have a rule like .shallow > ul or .deep > ul.
>
> > Are creating lua filters anything like coding in other languages? I know
> > bash and PHP...
>
> sort of, yes. See the documentation for lua filters on the pandoc
> website.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/yh480kr24eh4s5.fsf%40johnmacfarlane.net
> .

* Re: Conditional Formatting
@ 2019-09-18 14:46                   ` Craig Parker
       [not found]                     ` <99b9af3a-c206-d664-3b58-d671eabd9116-UzRat0APdLvLPIzirxu/xA@public.gmane.org>
From: Craig Parker @ 2019-09-18 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I had no idea this was even possible. I was trying to make life easier
for folks on my end that don't know html.  :::bob becoming <div
class="bob"> will be awesome. I've got a meeting in 15 minutes -- going
to sing some more pandoc praise (coworkers must be getting sick of me
singing by now...)

Is this something specific to pandoc, github markdown, or what?

	*#1 Learn-by-Doing Multicloud Training Platform*

@ 2019-09-18 15:32                       ` John Gabriele
From: John Gabriele @ 2019-09-18 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'PEDOFILO SATANISTASSASSINO DANIELE MINOTTI' via pandoc-discuss

It's actually a pretty recent addition to Pandoc. You can do spans too! See <https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#divs-and-spans>.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019, at 10:46 AM, Craig Parker wrote:
> [...]

>>>  website.
>>>
>>>  --
>> --
> --
>
> Learn by Doing with Linux Academy Multicloud Training <https://linuxacademy.com/>
>

> *#1 Learn-by-Doing Multicloud Training Platform*
>

> *Craig Parker*
> Technical Writer
> Schedule a Meeting or Call <http://www.fossfolks.com/>
>
>  125 Bear Creek Parkway. Keller. Texas 76248
> LinuxAcademy.com <https://linuxacademy.com/>
> Learn faster and deeper with REAL Hands-On Labs. <https://linuxacademy.sigstr.net/uc/5d5b0bc61a99af20f77b0db4>
>

> © Linux Academy, 2019. All Rights Reserved.
>  Pinehead® and the Linux Academy Logo® are registered trademarks of Linux Academy in the U.S. and other countries. Linux® is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.

* Re: Conditional Formatting
       [not found]                     ` <99b9af3a-c206-d664-3b58-d671eabd9116-UzRat0APdLvLPIzirxu/xA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-09-19  5:15                       ` brainchild
       [not found]                         ` <c18b9c78-2262-4f63-b995-0698dc795132-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: brainchild @ 2019-09-19  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Specific to Pandoc, it seems.

It is a behavior in Pandoc that is not specified in MarkDown dialects
generally, or supported in other software currently.

It is implemented in Pandoc as an extension, meaning that the behavior can
be toggled.  Actually, I am confused about which extensions are enabled or
disabled by default, but this one appears to work on a basic invocation of
Pandoc.

While it seems ideally suited to your requirements as long as you are using
Pandoc, you do ask the right question, and should be aware that results
might be unpredictable with editors, readers, or other MarkDown
converters.

Yet, it seems to be one of the more useful features not part of common
MarkDown dialects.

In a pinch you can use Pandoc to convert from a document using these
extensions into a common dialect of MarkDown, suitable for ingestion by
another converter.

@ 2019-09-19 11:14                           ` Craig Parker
From: Craig Parker @ 2019-09-19 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I already took it and ran with it. A designer called for all top level
list items to be bold. That's fine, unless the whole list is just top
level items, then it looks funny. :::nobold takes care of that. And
:::nonum addresses the next level being actual numerals. When we don't
need numbered steps, we don't need numbers.

I'm sure there are a plethora of other uses I can find for it, but then
I just need to make sure that it doesn't start getting confusing for folks.