* Converting to pdf: `pandoc: openFile: resource busy (file is locked)`
@ 2023-03-09 20:24 Elephant
       [not found] ` <6076f667-a748-4e17-969c-9264882cd273n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Elephant @ 2023-03-09 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

When I try to to convert form markdown to pdf with weasyprint or
wkhtmltopdf, I get the error message `pandoc: openFile: resource busy (file
is locked)`.

For example,

> echo "example" | pandoc -o example.pdf --pdf-engine=wkhtmltopdf
[WARNING] This document format requires a nonempty <title> element.
  Defaulting to '-' as the title.
  To specify a title, use 'title' in metadata or --metadata title="...".
pandoc: openFile: resource busy (file is locked)

and

> echo "example" | pandoc -o example.pdf --pdf-engine=weasyprint
[WARNING] This document format requires a nonempty <title> element.
  Defaulting to '-' as the title.
  To specify a title, use 'title' in metadata or --metadata title="...".
pandoc: openFile: resource busy (file is locked)

I'm on macos Ventura 13.2.1 and pandoc 3.1. Any idea how to fix this?

* Re: Converting to pdf: `pandoc: openFile: resource busy (file is locked)`
       [not found] ` <6076f667-a748-4e17-969c-9264882cd273n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-03-10  3:24   ` A A
       [not found]     ` <CAMwawgMyFr+ULLO7gAG_ScOZRutfosxdDih7m3SyDbpx08FW7A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2023-03-10  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Is the Pdf open when you get that error?

@ 2023-03-10  4:25       ` Elephant
       [not found]         ` <ea4428ac-8ce0-4b96-8830-6d8c2356bd49n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Elephant @ 2023-03-10  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

No, the pdf file does not exist.

@ 2023-03-10 12:41           ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]             ` <CAEe_xxgAtJ-pZ0c9BsHsusA1uCzPuebD3tg37yL+uN4SccLGhA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-03-10 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I tried this and it worked for me. Same pandoc version (well, 3.1.1) but an
older macos version (12.5.1).

This 'resource busy' error reminds of what you get when you try to unmount
a volume but have a terminal session with its current directory within the
to-be-unmounted volume.

So I wonder whether you could try running it from some other location, just
in case there's a problem with creating a temporary file, or something like
that.

@ 2023-03-10 18:12   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-03-10 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Works ok for me on Monterey.  I don't have a Ventura machine to test on.
Can anyone else who is running Ventura try to reproduce this?

Also, do you have the same problem producing a pdf with --pdf-engine=pdflatex ?

@ 2023-03-10 19:33               ` Elephant
From: Elephant @ 2023-03-10 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss