Hi, I have looked at Context, but have not put it to work. I find the documentation rather confusing. But it does look interesting. I don’t find layout that difficult with LaTeX. In fact I’ve just written a “30-minute Challenge” tutorial in which the user styles a three-chapter novel with front matter in less than 30 minutes. The chapters are generated with the LaTeX lipsum package. My quest is for a method of styling the various edge cases that come up in book design with the low cognitive load of markdown. I’m motivated by, best guess, more than two million self-publishers around the world publishing books each year, all too many of whom rely on their word processors for type setting. They are often criticized for low production quality and suffer book sales in the low tens of units. Thanks, LRP Sent from my iPad > On Jul 19, 2022, at 2:14 AM, 'juh' via pandoc-discuss wrote: > > Am Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 04:15:09PM -0400 schrieb Lloyd R. prentice: >> The basic tags of extended Pandoc markdown go far. But it would be >> productive to somehow simply mark a block of copy and apply an >> arbitrary LaTeX package or snippet. This can be done with the LaTeX >> markdown package at the cost of dropping down into plain TeX which is >> much harder to learn than CSS and likely far beyond the skill set of >> most self-publishers. > > Have you ever considered to use ConTeXt? > https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Main_Page > > I my experience it is much easier to define custom layouts with ConTeXt > than with LaTeX as the styling is done with key value constructs like in css. > > With lua scripts you can apply custom environments to blocks. > > juh > > -- > Autoren-Homepage: ......... http://literatur.hasecke.com > Satiren & Essays: ......... http://www.sudelbuch.de > Privater Blog: ............ http://www.hasecke.eu > Netzliteratur-Projekt: .... http://www.generationenprojekt.de > > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/YtZLu1RFABVwZ2BL%40odysseus. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/13939C0B-E70D-441B-9783-6D0E858EDD2B%40writersglen.com.