Hi Martin, There's also [issue 553](https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/553). Personally, I think I like (from that issue thread) anton-k's original idea: ![an image](foo.jpg) ![an include](foo.txt) ![a csv to be rendered as a table](foo.csv) (that is, based on filename extension) Those seem sensible, symmetrical, easy to remember, and I think fit well with what pandoc already does (`![]()` is already like an include). As for a syntax to allow writing your csv data right into your md file, ... Pandoc already supports a generous number of table formats that are pretty easy to type. And for larger tables that you might be tempted to copy/paste in, might be better easier to bang-include them (as in, `![]()`), rather than muck up your pretty markdown file with a giant bunch of csv data. :) -- John On Fri, May 20, 2016, at 05:38 AM, Martin Fenner wrote: > Dear group, > > The topic of CSV support in Pandoc has come up several times on this > list, includes this thread from 2014: > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pandoc-discuss/kBdJU_JktzI > > Since last year I work for an organisation that frequently deals with > tabular data (and helped organize CSVconf earlier this month), and I > have done some thinking on how CSV could fit into Pandoc. I see two > important use cases: > > * CSV reader that converts to tables in HTML, docx, latex, etc. > * CSV has a format to describe tables in markdown > > For the first use case I wrote a hack for the Jekyll blogging > platform this week that turns CSV files into markdown grid tables > format that is then processed by Pandoc > (https://github.com/datacite/jekyll-csvy). I would rather use Pandoc > with a CSV reader, but my Haskell isn't good enough to write one. But > for now I can generate blog posts directly from CSV files. Other > people have done similar things with Pandoc and CSV. > > For the second use case I see a clear advantage of CSV over the > various attempts to format tables in markdown (simple_tables, > multiline_tables, grid_tables, pipe_tables). Everyone (and many tools) > understands the CSV format, and you can do most of the things with CSV > that the other table formats allow (multi-column formats and column > alignment are a bit trickier). This has been done before using Pandoc > filters, but I think a Pandoc "csv_tables" Pandoc extension would make > this easier for the casual user. Using the grid_tables example from > the Pandoc documentation, this could look like this: > > : Sample csv table. > > ,,, > Fruit,Price,Advantages > Bananas,$1.34,- built-in wrapper\n- bright color > Oranges,$2.10, - cures scurvy\n- tasty > ,,, > > I like three commas on a new line to indicate the start and end of > a table, but that is of course open for discussion. The format is > much easier to read and edit for humans compared to grid tables, > the only tricky bit is maybe the \n for multiline columns. I would > think we could add metadata to the fenced table blog similar to > code blocks, e.g. > > ,,,{ #mytable .numberRows } > > One challenge with CSV is that it is an ill-defined format somewhat > similar to markdown before CommonMark. It may make things easier to > only support a specific CSV variant (e.g. comma as separator, header > required, comment lines not allowed). > > Thoughts? > > Best, > > Martin > > > > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, > send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/20BF19CB-A2B0-4B19-A749-D750CDD89736%40martinfenner.org[1]. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. Links: 1. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/20BF19CB-A2B0-4B19-A749-D750CDD89736%40martinfenner.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/1463766905.1918988.613990665.6CD67781%40webmail.messagingengine.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.