* Reference link support in AST (for Quarto's Visual Editor)?
@ 2023-02-08 15:50 Joseph Reagle
       [not found] ` <5680a672-b7b0-d7aa-b35b-34693d3b2022-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2023-02-08 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've been looking forward to Quarto's stand-alone Visual Editor as a pandoc-friendly multi-line table supporting editor. However, it rewrites my carefully specified reference links and they wrote:

> We currently aren't able to support reference links because when Pandoc parses the page they are all resolved into "real" links (i.e. the Pandoc AST doesn't have the concept of a reference link, and since our editor is really editing the AST not the markdown text, there isn't any way for us to read or write them).

https://github.com/quarto-dev/quarto/issues/42

Has any thought been given to this?

—Joseph

* Re: Reference link support in AST (for Quarto's Visual Editor)?
       [not found] ` <5680a672-b7b0-d7aa-b35b-34693d3b2022-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-02-08 17:32   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <9A64C448-20CB-4E7B-9739-61AD4730DB89-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-02-08 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This is all true, yes.  Pandoc was not really designed as a reformatter.  commonmark-hs could be the basis for a more flexible reformatting tool.

Could we change the AST so it explicitly represents reference links as such?  In theory, yes.  But this would be quite a big change, and potentially very disruptive. Also it must be remembered that most of the formats pandoc supports don't have the notion of a "reference link."

@ 2023-02-09 14:28       ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]         ` <7241d44d-dbe4-15f4-c1c5-a46ff6c069da-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2023-02-09 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you John. Keeping in mind that pandoc is not a reformatter, I nonetheless have occasion to want to convert from markdown to markdown and one other nuisance is my (HTML) comments get quoted and labeled as such in the process; I then can't un-comment them with a single keyboard shortcut in my editor. Is there a way to keep HTML/markdown comments with quotes and label?

```{=html}
<!-- TODO: this day should be one week after persuasion assignment -->
```

@ 2023-02-09 14:29           ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2023-02-09 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sorry, I meant "without quotes and labels".

@ 2023-02-09 16:08           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-02-09 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can disable the raw_attribute extension.