* Multi-column spanning cells
@ 2019-04-24  0:58 ivo welch
       [not found] ` <3368143b-5879-4f65-ae46-d24f6e26bcdd-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo welch @ 2019-04-24  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

apologies if this has been discussed and dismissed, but maybe it helps.

I have seen at least one markdown table format that I liked and that pretty
much covers almost everything that I need.  I did not invent this!  I found
it am showing the markdown text here:

^ h1-left  ^  h1-center  ^  h1-right ^    h1-left-3col   ^^^  h1-center-3col
 ^^^  h1-right-3col     ^^^
| l1       |      c1     |        r3 |  c4  |  c5  |  c6  |  c7  |  c8  |
 c9  |  c10  |  c11  |  c12  |
| l1       |      c1     |        r3 |        m4-6       |||        m7-9
   |||      m10-12        |||
| l1       |      c1     |        r3 | m4-6              |||             m7-
9 |||      m10-12        |||

The markdown code seems fairly easy to understand.  When a cell is followed
by consecutive cell dividers, the intent is to merge this cell to its
left. If an empty cell is desired instead, a space would have to be
inserted.  Left/Center/Right flush is determined by the spaces starting
and ending the cell.  The result can be viewed here:

http://cookbook.tips/!julia/doku.php?id=table

For convenience, here is a png image thereof:

[image: mdtable.png]

[-- Attachment #2: mdtable.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 89732 bytes --]

* Re: Multi-column spanning cells
       [not found] ` <3368143b-5879-4f65-ae46-d24f6e26bcdd-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-04-24  1:01   ` ivo welch
       [not found]     ` <3dc69f4b-6536-42cc-bb8f-68f7686ebb7e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo welch @ 2019-04-24  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

forgot the important question.  does someone know of an extension to pandoc
that implements this?

@ 2019-05-12  6:12       ` ivo welch
       [not found]         ` <82475fad-d7a9-4aec-ab1a-9beb6c54f79c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo welch @ 2019-05-12  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

so I am now contemplating implementing this kind of tabular with
multi-column cells myself.  My perl is pretty good.   (I won't have time to
learn haskell.)  The format spec itself is reasonably simple.  I should be
able to do this in an afternoon.

so, some simple questions:

* any reason why this would not make a good format for tables with
multi-column cells?  has this been discussed and discarded?

* is there broader interest in this than just me?  if so, is there an
"easy" way to hook my perl preprocessor into the pandoc flow?  I would need
a working minimalist example of something like it.

* I can output conditional text (tabular for latex, table for html).  I
won't be able to do other output formats, like powerpoint.  I could
preprocess with conditional text.  Alternatively, is there one minimalist
working example that also shows how to learn output format?

advice appreciated.

/iaw

@ 2019-05-12 15:07           ` mb21
       [not found]             ` <50edf5ff-9688-4c0c-b20e-4eb02462fbf0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2019-05-12 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This is definitely on the TODO-list for native
pandoc: https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1024 (and has been for a
while).

Pandoc supports several kinds of table syntaxes (see the manual). The one
that's probably easiest to extend for cell-spans is grid-tables, see
e.g. https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1024#issuecomment-305434114

Since you asked for input: personally, I find the pipe-table-inspired
syntax you posted a lot harder to read (although it may be easier to
write). Of course, do whatever suits your needs best ;-)

@ 2019-05-12 16:48               ` Ivo Welch
From: Ivo Welch @ 2019-05-12 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

thanks, mb.

yes, I think you are right.  this format is easier to write align, but
perhaps more difficult to read especially when not properly aligned.  (A
formatter that aligns could help.)

I also think now that default formats at the top of each column could be
nice, too.  I have seen ':---' and ':---:' and '---:' be used.  it could be
even more useful with an embedded string format, such as ':--%.3f--' as the
first table line.  This could then be handled with a '|:' instead of '|'.
If there is no format string, '|:' is interpreted as before.

/iaw

@ 2019-05-13 14:43           ` Daniel Staal
       [not found]             ` <173ac74c-6e1a-b24b-2be0-238cf1042e48-Jdbf3xiKgS8@public.gmane.org>
From: Daniel Staal @ 2019-05-13 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 5/12/19 2:12 AM, ivo welch wrote:
> * any reason why this would not make a good format for tables with
> multi-column cells?  has this been discussed and discarded?

This particular format?  It would be very easy to mess up and and hard
to spot errors with.

The general concept?  Mostly there's been discussion about different
formats, and pros and cons of each.

> * is there broader interest in this than just me?  if so, is there an
> "easy" way to hook my perl preprocessor into the pandoc flow?  I would
> need a working minimalist example of something like it.

There's interest in multi-column cells in tables.  ;)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

@ 2019-06-22 23:19               ` ivo welch
From: ivo welch @ 2019-06-22 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)