* CJK fonts and fontsize do not change from YAML metadata
@ 2018-12-14  7:32 Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto
       [not found] ` <C15A2447-87C5-4404-8D8C-DD5606BAF72A-7M2J4GrLiDedPOQpRHQ53DeJuz7u0hKX@public.gmane.org>
From: Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto @ 2018-12-14  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

this is a problem that I encounter since long ago:

When I set CJK font in the YAML metadata (e.g. CJKmainfont: "Hiragino Mincho ProN") or the fontsize (fontsize: 24pt) nothing happens. The small default font size and a fallback Japanese minchō font will be used. Linestretch on the other hand (linestretch: 1.25) works fine, as well as the other mainfonts etc. do.

I am working with Pandoc 2.2.3.2, but the problem has always been there.

I use the default template, i.e., I do not mention a template in the YAML meta data or in the pandoc command.

My Latex is 2017, but it happened with earlier versions as well.

The xecjk package is installed.

Any hint to the right direction is welcome!

Maria

* Re: CJK fonts and fontsize do not change from YAML metadata
       [not found] ` <C15A2447-87C5-4404-8D8C-DD5606BAF72A-7M2J4GrLiDedPOQpRHQ53DeJuz7u0hKX@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-12-14  7:45   ` Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto
       [not found]     ` <96351CA7-D11A-4BB1-A048-00F014D05314-7M2J4GrLiDedPOQpRHQ53DeJuz7u0hKX@public.gmane.org>
From: Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto @ 2018-12-14  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

the fontsize is the only problem, I was puzzled myself about the font face, but that was an accidental mistake.

So: I cannot set the fontsize with YAML metadata for Japanese to PDF.

Thanks again,
Maria Shinoto

> Am 2018-12-14 um 16:32 schrieb Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto <maria.shinoto@zaw.uni-heidelberg.de>:
>
> Hi,
>
> this is a problem that I encounter since long ago:
>
> When I set CJK font in the YAML metadata (e.g. CJKmainfont: "Hiragino Mincho ProN") or the fontsize (fontsize: 24pt) nothing happens. The small default font size and a fallback Japanese minchō font will be used. Linestretch on the other hand (linestretch: 1.25) works fine, as well as the other mainfonts etc. do.
>
> I am working with Pandoc 2.2.3.2, but the problem has always been there.
>
> I use the default template, i.e., I do not mention a template in the YAML meta data or in the pandoc command.
>
> My Latex is 2017, but it happened with earlier versions as well.
>
> The xecjk package is installed.
>
> Any hint to the right direction is welcome!
>

> Maria
>
> --

* Re (workaround?): CJK fonts and fontsize do not change from YAML metadata
       [not found]     ` <96351CA7-D11A-4BB1-A048-00F014D05314-7M2J4GrLiDedPOQpRHQ53DeJuz7u0hKX@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-12-14  8:32       ` Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto
       [not found]         ` <2A7F9337-7250-4776-A69A-68D7ADAB2C5E-7M2J4GrLiDedPOQpRHQ53DeJuz7u0hKX@public.gmane.org>
From: Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto @ 2018-12-14  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

after all, I tried a bit harder. The problem seems to be with Latex.

CJK fonts are not set by pt size but by scale, and it seems that they are scaled smaller than 1.0 by default.

Therefore, a document set to 12pt needs a scale to 0.9 or 1.0 in order to be readable in Japanese as well. Here are the important lines in Latex:

```
\documentclass[12pt,english,]{article}
\setmainfont[Scale=1.0]{Gentium Basic} # Scale may be left blank, same result
\ifxetex
    \usepackage{xeCJK}
    \setCJKmainfont[Scale=0.95]{IPAexMincho}
  \fi
  \ifluatex
    \usepackage[]{luatexja-fontspec}
    \setmainjfont[]{IPAexMincho} # did not check luatex
```

The small font scale may be due to the default template (this is from Beamer):

```
  \usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}
  \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text,Scale=MatchLowercase}
\else
  \ifluatex
    \usepackage{fontspec}
    \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text,Scale=MatchLowercase}
  \else
    \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
  \fi
\fi
```

The `Scale=MatchLowercase` is certainly too small.

QUESTION or FEATURE REQUEST: How can I set the scale in the YAML metadata?

Best,
Maria S.

> Am 2018-12-14 um 16:45 schrieb Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto <maria.shinoto@zaw.uni-heidelberg.de>:
>
> Hi,
>
> the fontsize is the only problem, I was puzzled myself about the font face, but that was an accidental mistake.
>
> So: I cannot set the fontsize with YAML metadata for Japanese to PDF.
>
> Thanks again,
> Maria Shinoto
>

>> Am 2018-12-14 um 16:32 schrieb Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto <maria.shinoto-7M2J4GrLiDedPOQpRHQ53DeJuz7u0hKX@public.gmane.org>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is a problem that I encounter since long ago:
>>
>> When I set CJK font in the YAML metadata (e.g. CJKmainfont: "Hiragino Mincho ProN") or the fontsize (fontsize: 24pt) nothing happens. The small default font size and a fallback Japanese minchō font will be used. Linestretch on the other hand (linestretch: 1.25) works fine, as well as the other mainfonts etc. do.
>>
>> I am working with Pandoc 2.2.3.2, but the problem has always been there.
>>
>> I use the default template, i.e., I do not mention a template in the YAML meta data or in the pandoc command.
>>
>> My Latex is 2017, but it happened with earlier versions as well.
>>
>> The xecjk package is installed.
>>
>> Any hint to the right direction is welcome!
>>

>> Maria
>>
>> --

* Re: Re (workaround?): CJK fonts and fontsize do not change from YAML metadata
       [not found]         ` <2A7F9337-7250-4776-A69A-68D7ADAB2C5E-7M2J4GrLiDedPOQpRHQ53DeJuz7u0hKX@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-12-14 19:28           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <yh480kbm5nc3hm.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-12-14 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Try

---
CJKoptions: 'Scale=0.95'

@ 2018-12-15  1:50               ` Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto
From: Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto @ 2018-12-15  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks, that was a good option.

It was not perfect though, because the default scaling, after all, seems to be the best solution. Otherwise, numbers and Roman fonts look horribly small.

The problem remains for mixed Western-CJK-texts, seems to be a TEX-related problem.

But for purely Japanese texts, the most simple option is as follows:

- no language option (no lang=...)
- set the mainfont to the same as the CJKmainfont

This produced a readable document (memo, report etc.) with good looking words and numbers when part of the Japanese text:

```
fontsize:	12pt
mainfont:	"IPAexMincho"
monofont:	"Osaka"