* Problem pdf-conversion, citations with titles with punctuation inside nested quotations
@ 2022-02-10 11:14 John Carter Wood
       [not found] ` <c89b519c-798c-41c3-9536-733b593cfce1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Carter Wood @ 2022-02-10 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

Last year I had had a problem with citations that had internal terminal
punctuation (that ended, e.g. with exclamation points) rendering correctly
as pdfs. That was solved by an update to a newer version of pandoc.

I am now running into a slightly different problem regarding the rendering
of titles that have internal punctuation inside *nested* quotation marks.
This problem only seems to arise, however, when I'm using German (de-DE)
quotation marks via pandoc-quotes.lua. It does _not_ happen when using the
English or Swiss-German quotes (guillemets), also via pandoc-quotes.lua. (I
had to make the slight change to pandoc-quotes.lua that another user
recently discussed here after updating to the latest version of pandoc.)

So, the original title (as I have it entered in Zotero: I export to a
library in JSON) is:

"Mother, what did policemen do when there weren't any motors?" The law, the
police and the regulation of motor traffic in England, 1900–1939

In English (en-GB) it renders fine (see attached image, en-US is also fine
though with the single- and double-quotes reversed, as it should be).

[image: Cite-en-GB.png]

With de-CH set as language, it also works as expected.

[image: Cite-de-CH.png]
But if I change the language to de-DE (which is the language I actually
need!) the question mark is turned upside down and the closing internal
quote disappears.

[image: Cite-de-DE.png]
The same thing happens with other terminal punctuation marks (e.g.
exclamation points) that are inside nested quotes.

I am running the latest pandoc (2.17.1.1).

I have tried various things, from changing the Zotero entry (using
typographic quote marks, using `` and '' instead of regular quote marks) to
trying export as bibtex/biblatex and nothing seems to work.

It renders fine as a docx.

Am I doing something wrong and/or does anyone have an idea how to solve
this?