I'm in a similar position as the last response. This reader looks great, but despite having read as much documentation as I could on lua filters, I haven't been able to get this to work. Is it possible to get this to work with copying the script or is it necessary to use 'npm install -g readability-cli'? Are there other prerequisites to using lua filters? I've seen https://pandoc.org/lua-filters.html#lua-interpreter-initialization but not sure I understand what the requirements are. On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 9:02:05 AM UTC+11 myke...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org wrote: > Tried your suggestion from private (please excuse my shyness) message. > Found out that this is well beyond my abilities. Got node installed. > Installed readability-cli. Discovered that I had to have an init.lua > file. Found one and saved it in directory holding pandoc. Copied your > script and saved it as readable.lua, in the same directory. Discovered > that I don't seem to know where init.lua and readable.lua need to go. So > far, when I run "pandoc -f readable.lua [et cetera]", the response is: > "error running Lua: [new line] cannot open readable.lua: No such file or > directory." All this was on MacOS. Tried same on MSFT WinOS; similar > result. > My weariness convinces me that I am Well Out of My Depth. Don't seem to > know enough about Node, Lua, or whatever pandoc is written in. Learned > some things about Node and Lua. Success is over an horizon too far. > Someday. > Thanks anyway. > Pandoc is still wonderful. > > > On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 1:59:14 PM UTC-5 John MacFarlane wrote: > >> >> I've added a new example of a custom reader, which runs >> the 'readability-cli' program on HTML input before processing >> it with pandoc, extracting the content and omitting navigation >> and layout. >> >> See >> >> https://pandoc.org/custom-readers.html#example-extracting-the-content-from-web-pages >> >> This shows how the new custom reader interface, when combined >> with pandoc.read in the Lua API, can be used to add >> preprocessors. >> >> (Of course, you could do something similar in a shell script. >> But doing it this way ensures that pandoc will be able to >> retrieve resources (e.g. images) from the URL. In addition, >> the filter does some further processing to remove structural >> Divs that clutter the output, and it is easily customizable.) >> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/1ae43988-8d34-4bdf-ba11-f875d8f69943n%40googlegroups.com.