* Pandoc and OPML
@ 2013-03-15 17:13 Chris Lott
       [not found] ` <CAHJRaA432JWGSsNMAan69yPtQKBTUrN1e6Ligg5=5UTOYipO8g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Lott @ 2013-03-15 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandoc Discussion

Greetings! Are there any plans in the works for including OPML as an
input and/or input format?

Chris Lott <chris-qMDBG1KJBpwBXFe83j6qeQ@public.gmane.org>

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found] ` <CAHJRaA432JWGSsNMAan69yPtQKBTUrN1e6Ligg5=5UTOYipO8g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-03-15 22:28   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20130315222848.GA8282-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-03-15 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

None that I know of...

+++ Chris Lott [Mar 15 13 09:13 ]:
> Greetings! Are there any plans in the works for including OPML as an
> input and/or input format?

> --
> Chris Lott <chris-qMDBG1KJBpwBXFe83j6qeQ@public.gmane.org>
>
> --

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found]     ` <20130315222848.GA8282-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-03-17 22:04       ` Chris Lott
       [not found]         ` <CAHJRaA6w_9TvXRg1bnbOopMTJDWfBsOMYyMGAuwCFXmMWy_Ung-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Lott @ 2013-03-17 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Well, it would be awesome if it Pandoc could read OPML. The reason:
most outliners/mind map tools create OPML and, along with markdown
text notes, are a great base for longer form writing. MultiMarkdown
Composer can read some OPML, but only the top level, not the
notes...and most opml2markdown tools don't handle line breaks in the
text notes well (or almost at all).

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> None that I know of...
>
> +++ Chris Lott [Mar 15 13 09:13 ]:
>> Greetings! Are there any plans in the works for including OPML as an
>> input and/or input format?

>> --
>> Chris Lott <chris-qMDBG1KJBpwBXFe83j6qeQ@public.gmane.org>
>>
>> --
>>

> --

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found]         ` <CAHJRaA6w_9TvXRg1bnbOopMTJDWfBsOMYyMGAuwCFXmMWy_Ung-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-03-17 22:47           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20130317224720.GB48086-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-03-17 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Looking at the spec, it seems quite simple.
http://dev.opml.org/spec2.html

But how would you suggest the various elements be converted to
pandoc?

Would the `<outline>` elements all become headers, and their
`text` attributes paragraphs under these headers?

What about custom elements, as in this example from Wikipedia?

    <outline text="Heart of Glass.mp3" type="song" f="Blondie - Heart of Glass.mp3"/>
    <outline text="Manic Monday.mp3" type="song" f="Bangles - Manic Monday.mp3"/>
    <outline text="Everybody Have Fun Tonight.mp3" type="song" f="Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Ton

What do we do with the "type" and "f" attributes?  The spec doesn't define
them; the spec just says any attributes are allowed in addition to "text".
(They could be ignored, I suppose.)

+++ Chris Lott [Mar 17 13 14:04 ]:
> Well, it would be awesome if it Pandoc could read OPML. The reason:
> most outliners/mind map tools create OPML and, along with markdown
> text notes, are a great base for longer form writing. MultiMarkdown
> Composer can read some OPML, but only the top level, not the
> notes...and most opml2markdown tools don't handle line breaks in the
> text notes well (or almost at all).

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > None that I know of...
> >
> > +++ Chris Lott [Mar 15 13 09:13 ]:
> >> Greetings! Are there any plans in the works for including OPML as an
> >> input and/or input format?

> >> --
> >> Chris Lott <chris-qMDBG1KJBpwBXFe83j6qeQ@public.gmane.org>
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> >

> --

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found]             ` <20130317224720.GB48086-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-03-17 23:06               ` Chris Lott
       [not found]                 ` <CAHJRaA6DnLxSDrSu_z-sBt0-pgBwo+BPKK9yRrNvqxC7srOMxQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Lott @ 2013-03-17 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

All of the mind mapping and outlining tools I have used basically use
the <outline> elements as headers and the "text" attributes -- or in
one case the "_note" attribute as paragraphs in that section. I could
send a couple of samples from different mindmapping applications if it
would help.

I guess ignoring the custom elements would be the simplest... or
accommodating just some of the most common ones (such as "_note")?

I've been trying some XSLT transformations to convert to Markdown, but
while this works OK for headers from the outline elements, they fail
at dealing with linebreaks in the text, which of course makes the
markdown useless.

Just a thought!

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Looking at the spec, it seems quite simple.
> http://dev.opml.org/spec2.html
>
> But how would you suggest the various elements be converted to
> pandoc?
>
> Would the `<outline>` elements all become headers, and their
> `text` attributes paragraphs under these headers?
>
> What about custom elements, as in this example from Wikipedia?
>
>     <outline text="Heart of Glass.mp3" type="song" f="Blondie - Heart of Glass.mp3"/>
>     <outline text="Manic Monday.mp3" type="song" f="Bangles - Manic Monday.mp3"/>
>     <outline text="Everybody Have Fun Tonight.mp3" type="song" f="Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Ton
>
> What do we do with the "type" and "f" attributes?  The spec doesn't define
> them; the spec just says any attributes are allowed in addition to "text".
> (They could be ignored, I suppose.)
>
> +++ Chris Lott [Mar 17 13 14:04 ]:
>> Well, it would be awesome if it Pandoc could read OPML. The reason:
>> most outliners/mind map tools create OPML and, along with markdown
>> text notes, are a great base for longer form writing. MultiMarkdown
>> Composer can read some OPML, but only the top level, not the
>> notes...and most opml2markdown tools don't handle line breaks in the
>> text notes well (or almost at all).

>> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> > None that I know of...
>> >
>> > +++ Chris Lott [Mar 15 13 09:13 ]:

>> > --
>> >

>> --
>>

> --

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
@ 2013-03-18  0:14                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <20130318001423.GA8496-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-03-18  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Chris Lott [Mar 17 13 15:06 ]:
> All of the mind mapping and outlining tools I have used basically use
> the <outline> elements as headers and the "text" attributes -- or in
> one case the "_note" attribute as paragraphs in that section. I could
> send a couple of samples from different mindmapping applications if it
> would help.

Yes, why not?

> I guess ignoring the custom elements would be the simplest... or
> accommodating just some of the most common ones (such as "_note")?
>
> I've been trying some XSLT transformations to convert to Markdown, but
> while this works OK for headers from the outline elements, they fail
> at dealing with linebreaks in the text, which of course makes the
> markdown useless.
>
> Just a thought!

I think it would be fairly easy (an hour's work) to write a reader
that handled the basic elements as you suggest.

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Looking at the spec, it seems quite simple.
> > http://dev.opml.org/spec2.html
> >
> > But how would you suggest the various elements be converted to
> > pandoc?
> >
> > Would the `<outline>` elements all become headers, and their
> > `text` attributes paragraphs under these headers?
> >
> > What about custom elements, as in this example from Wikipedia?
> >
> >     <outline text="Heart of Glass.mp3" type="song" f="Blondie - Heart of Glass.mp3"/>
> >     <outline text="Manic Monday.mp3" type="song" f="Bangles - Manic Monday.mp3"/>
> >     <outline text="Everybody Have Fun Tonight.mp3" type="song" f="Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Ton
> >
> > What do we do with the "type" and "f" attributes?  The spec doesn't define
> > them; the spec just says any attributes are allowed in addition to "text".
> > (They could be ignored, I suppose.)
> >
> > +++ Chris Lott [Mar 17 13 14:04 ]:
> >> Well, it would be awesome if it Pandoc could read OPML. The reason:
> >> most outliners/mind map tools create OPML and, along with markdown
> >> text notes, are a great base for longer form writing. MultiMarkdown
> >> Composer can read some OPML, but only the top level, not the
> >> notes...and most opml2markdown tools don't handle line breaks in the
> >> text notes well (or almost at all).

> >> --
> >>

> > --
> >

> --

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found]                     ` <20130318001423.GA8496-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-03-18  4:01                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <20130318040154.GA54653-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-03-18  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've added an opml branch on github that does the basics.

I still haven't added support for a _note attribute, because
I'm not sure I understand how it is to be interpreted.

The content of the attribute is a string.  But what format?
HTML? Markdown? Is there any standard for this?

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found]                         ` <20130318040154.GA54653-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-03-18  5:33                           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                             ` <20130318053341.GA14308-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-03-18  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ John MacFarlane [Mar 17 13 21:01 ]:
> I've added an opml branch on github that does the basics.
>
> I still haven't added support for a _note attribute, because
> I'm not sure I understand how it is to be interpreted.
>
> The content of the attribute is a string.  But what format?
> HTML? Markdown? Is there any standard for this?

Multimarkdown just seems to put raw markdown inside the _note
attribute.  But it seems to me that encoded HTML would be a
better choice, since the spec is explicit about allowing that
in the text attribute.

(Of course, it would be converted to markdown in an opml ->
markdown conversion.)

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found]         ` <CAHJRaA6w_9TvXRg1bnbOopMTJDWfBsOMYyMGAuwCFXmMWy_Ung-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-03-20  3:24           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-03-20  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've just merged an OPML reader into github master.

+++ Chris Lott [Mar 17 13 14:04 ]:
> Well, it would be awesome if it Pandoc could read OPML. The reason:
> most outliners/mind map tools create OPML and, along with markdown
> text notes, are a great base for longer form writing. MultiMarkdown
> Composer can read some OPML, but only the top level, not the
> notes...and most opml2markdown tools don't handle line breaks in the
> text notes well (or almost at all).

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > None that I know of...
> >
> > +++ Chris Lott [Mar 15 13 09:13 ]:
> >> Greetings! Are there any plans in the works for including OPML as an
> >> input and/or input format?

> >> --
> >> Chris Lott <chris-qMDBG1KJBpwBXFe83j6qeQ@public.gmane.org>
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> >

> --

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
@ 2013-03-26  1:14                               ` Ryan Gray
       [not found]                                 ` <fe881274-9fea-4b2d-8e22-94f26394fc05-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ryan Gray @ 2013-03-26  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:33:41 PM UTC-6, fiddlosopher wrote:

> +++ John MacFarlane [Mar 17 13 21:01 ]:
> > I've added an opml branch on github that does the basics.
> >
> > I still haven't added support for a _note attribute, because
> > I'm not sure I understand how it is to be interpreted.
> >
> > The content of the attribute is a string.  But what format?
> > HTML? Markdown? Is there any standard for this?
>
> Multimarkdown just seems to put raw markdown inside the _note
> attribute.  But it seems to me that encoded HTML would be a
> better choice, since the spec is explicit about allowing that
> in the text attribute.
>
> (Of course, it would be converted to markdown in an opml ->
> markdown conversion.)

I think the idea for MMD was so that for apps that supported the attribute,
you could edit (or create) the note (which contains the content of a
section) in Markdown format rather than HTML in whatever app you opened or
imported the OPML file in. This seems to be a sensible thing. Perhaps it
would be easy enough to look at the first characters in the note to tell if
it is HTML or plain text.

-Ryan

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
@ 2013-03-26  2:21                                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                     ` <20130326022137.GC9254-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-03-26  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

g++ Ryan Gray [Mar 25 13 18:14 ]:
>    On Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:33:41 PM UTC-6, fiddlosopher wrote:
>
>      +++ John MacFarlane [Mar 17 13 21:01 ]:
>      > I've added an opml branch on github that does the basics.
>      >
>      > I still haven't added support for a _note attribute, because
>      > I'm not sure I understand how it is to be interpreted.
>      >
>      > The content of the attribute is a string.  But what format?
>      > HTML? Markdown? Is there any standard for this?
>      Multimarkdown just seems to put raw markdown inside the _note
>      attribute.  But it seems to me that encoded HTML would be a
>      better choice, since the spec is explicit about allowing that
>      in the text attribute.
>      (Of course, it would be converted to markdown in an opml ->
>      markdown conversion.)
>
>    I think the idea for MMD was so that for apps that supported the
>    attribute, you could edit (or create) the note (which contains the
>    content of a section) in Markdown format rather than HTML in whatever
>    app you opened or imported the OPML file in. This seems to be a
>    sensible thing. Perhaps it would be easy enough to look at the first
>    characters in the note to tell if it is HTML or plain text.

Well, I ended up just parsing the contents of the note attribute as
markdown.

OPML is now supported (in the dev version) for both input and output.
Try it out!

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
@ 2013-03-26  5:22                                       ` Dirk Laurie
From: Dirk Laurie @ 2013-03-26  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

2013/3/26 John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:
> g++ Ryan Gray [Mar 25 13 18:14 ]:
>>    On Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:33:41 PM UTC-6, fiddlosopher wrote:
>>
>>      +++ John MacFarlane [Mar 17 13 21:01 ]:
>>      > I've added an opml branch on github that does the basics.
>>      >
>>      > I still haven't added support for a _note attribute, because
>>      > I'm not sure I understand how it is to be interpreted.
>>      >
>>      > The content of the attribute is a string.  But what format?
>>      > HTML? Markdown? Is there any standard for this?
>>      Multimarkdown just seems to put raw markdown inside the _note
>>      attribute.  But it seems to me that encoded HTML would be a
>>      better choice, since the spec is explicit about allowing that
>>      in the text attribute.
>>      (Of course, it would be converted to markdown in an opml ->
>>      markdown conversion.)
>>
>>    I think the idea for MMD was so that for apps that supported the
>>    attribute, you could edit (or create) the note (which contains the
>>    content of a section) in Markdown format rather than HTML in whatever
>>    app you opened or imported the OPML file in. This seems to be a
>>    sensible thing. Perhaps it would be easy enough to look at the first
>>    characters in the note to tell if it is HTML or plain text.
>
> Well, I ended up just parsing the contents of the note attribute as
> markdown.
>
> OPML is now supported (in the dev version) for both input and output.
> Try it out!

Wikipedia says:

   Exporting your data from an OPML file to another format can't be
   done without coding: no free tools are available to convert an OPML
   file to HTML,

Do we wait until Pandoc with OPML support is on Hackage?

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found]             ` <20130317224720.GB48086-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-03-26 15:33               ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]                 ` <5151BFB7.10200-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2013-03-26 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 2013-03-17 23:47, John MacFarlane wrote:
> Would the `<outline>` elements all become headers, and their
> `text` attributes paragraphs under these headers?

What if there are more than six levels of nested <outline>s?

/bpj

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found]                 ` <5151BFB7.10200-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-03-27  5:50                   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-03-27  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ BP Jonsson [Mar 26 13 16:33 ]:
> On 2013-03-17 23:47, John MacFarlane wrote:
> >Would the `<outline>` elements all become headers, and their
> >`text` attributes paragraphs under these headers?
>
> What if there are more than six levels of nested <outline>s?

After h6, you'll just get p tags.

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
@ 2013-04-07 18:00                                       ` Chris Lott
From: Chris Lott @ 2013-04-07 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandoc Discussion

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>    I think the idea for MMD was so that for apps that supported the
>>    attribute, you could edit (or create) the note (which contains the
>>    content of a section) in Markdown format rather than HTML in whatever
>>    app you opened or imported the OPML file in. This seems to be a
>>    sensible thing. Perhaps it would be easy enough to look at the first
>>    characters in the note to tell if it is HTML or plain text.
>
> Well, I ended up just parsing the contents of the note attribute as
> markdown.

Fletcher indicated that the problem with MMD Composer not retaining
the formatting for Markdown in notes was in the output from the Mind
Map software...there is apparently a convention that at least a few of
them use w/r/t linebreaks, but not the ones I am using.

> OPML is now supported (in the dev version) for both input and output.
> Try it out!

This is a *killer* (in a good way) feature for me. It fixes the
weakest link my composition workflow. Of course it would be nice if
MMD composer could handle this directly, but this adds a ton of
versatility. Thanks!

@ 2013-05-29 20:07             ` David Oppenheimer
       [not found]               ` <loom.20130529T215912-867-eS7Uydv5nfjZ+VzJOa5vwg@public.gmane.org>
From: David Oppenheimer @ 2013-05-29 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher@...> writes:

> I've just merged an OPML reader into github master.
>
> +++ Chris Lott [Mar 17 13 14:04 ]:
> > Well, it would be awesome if it Pandoc could read OPML. The reason:
> > most outliners/mind map tools create OPML and, along with markdown
> > text notes, are a great base for longer form writing. MultiMarkdown
> > Composer can read some OPML, but only the top level, not the
> > notes...and most opml2markdown tools don't handle line breaks in the
> > text notes well (or almost at all).

> > On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM, John MacFarlane
> <fiddlosopher@...> wrote:
> > > None that I know of...
> > >
> > > +++ Chris Lott [Mar 15 13 09:13 ]:

I just cloned the git master and tried to install pandoc-1.11.2
 (to get the wonderful opml reading ability), but I got the
following error toward the end of the install
procedure:

Preprocessing executable 'pandoc' for pandoc-1.11.2...
setup: data/templates/default.html: does not exist
Failed to install pandoc-1.11.2
Updating documentation index
pandoc-1.11.2 failed during the final install step.
The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

This was done using cabal intall while in the pandoc directory.
MacBook Pro running OSX 10.8.3 (mountain lion).

please let me know if you need more information.

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found]               ` <loom.20130529T215912-867-eS7Uydv5nfjZ+VzJOa5vwg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-05-29 20:19                 ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-05-29 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ David Oppenheimer [May 29 13 20:07 ]:

> I just cloned the git master and tried to install pandoc-1.11.2
>  (to get the wonderful opml reading ability), but I got the
> following error toward the end of the install
> procedure:
>
> Preprocessing executable 'pandoc' for pandoc-1.11.2...
> setup: data/templates/default.html: does not exist
> Failed to install pandoc-1.11.2
> Updating documentation index
> pandoc-1.11.2 failed during the final install step.
> The exception was:
> ExitFailure 1
>
> This was done using cabal intall while in the pandoc directory.
> MacBook Pro running OSX 10.8.3 (mountain lion).
>
> please let me know if you need more information.

You need to do

    git submodule update --init

to get the templates, and then cabal install again.

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found] ` <CAHJRaA432JWGSsNMAan69yPtQKBTUrN1e6Ligg5=5UTOYipO8g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-05-30 19:50   ` David Oppenheimer
From: David Oppenheimer @ 2013-05-30 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It worked. For the other amateurs out there like me, here is what I did:

cd ~/git
git clone git://github.com/jgm/pandoc.git
cd pandoc
git submodule update --init
cabal install

Thanks!

On Friday, March 15, 2013 1:13:20 PM UTC-4, Chris Lott wrote:

> Greetings! Are there any plans in the works for including OPML as an
> input and/or input format?

> --
> Chris Lott <ch...-qMDBG1KJBpwBXFe83j6qeQ@public.gmane.org <javascript:>>

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found] ` <CAHJRaA432JWGSsNMAan69yPtQKBTUrN1e6Ligg5=5UTOYipO8g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-06-26 21:15   ` jake london
       [not found]     ` <6137014c-5dbe-4242-a8d0-5cf4cde99593-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jake london @ 2013-06-26 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm trying to find a way to export a Freeplane mind map to OPML with the
notes included. Unfortunately, the current OPML export facility of
Freeplane only takes the headings and doesn't include the notes. If I
understood more about XSLT, perhaps I could revise the template to include
the notes, but I don't.

I can, however, save the map as .odt or html and the notes seems to be
included in that case. If I do this, will pandoc be able to convert these
file types into an opml file that includes the notes?

The reason I'm trying to do this is because so I can more effectively use
the headings and notes from Freeplane in Scrivener (mac writing program)
and omnioutliner (mind map info is not worth as much in these programs
without the notes).

Apologies in advance if this question is a bit convoluted.

JL

@ 2013-06-26 21:47       ` Chris Lott
       [not found]         ` <CAHJRaA6zvQYuXHb=iyYxhg4x+EZ5fgoSZ05KLcaiw6qqrnUs_w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Lott @ 2013-06-26 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandoc Discussion

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM, jake london <kingsinger-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> can, however, save the map as .odt or html and the notes seems to be
> included in that case. If I do this, will pandoc be able to convert these
> file types into an opml file that includes the notes?
>
> The reason I'm trying to do this is because so I can more effectively use
> the headings and notes from Freeplane in Scrivener (mac writing program)

Use with Scrivener was actually why I asked about OPML as an input
format. As far as I know, John implemented a reader (which works
well), but not a writer.

So you are looking to do something like Freeplane -> HTML -> OPML?

@ 2013-06-26 22:38           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-06-26 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Chris Lott [Jun 26 13 13:47 ]:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM, jake london <kingsinger-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > can, however, save the map as .odt or html and the notes seems to be
> > included in that case. If I do this, will pandoc be able to convert these
> > file types into an opml file that includes the notes?
> >
> > The reason I'm trying to do this is because so I can more effectively use
> > the headings and notes from Freeplane in Scrivener (mac writing program)
>
> Use with Scrivener was actually why I asked about OPML as an input
> format. As far as I know, John implemented a reader (which works
> well), but not a writer.

There is also a writer.  I can't recall whether it's in the released
version or only the development version.

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found]         ` <CAHJRaA6zvQYuXHb=iyYxhg4x+EZ5fgoSZ05KLcaiw6qqrnUs_w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-06-26 23:54           ` jake london
From: jake london @ 2013-06-26 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I just want to get from Freeplane to OPML with the notes as a part of the
OPML file. Freeplane can output a bunch of different formats, but not all
of the xslt templates include the notes.

Probably too much to ask, but something that could just take the .mm file
and then convert it into a bunch of other stuff (and vice versa) would be
kind of cool. A lot of different mindmappers seems to open the  .mm as well.

But in the near term, just being able to get my stuff out of Freeplane
would be great. Although it would definitely be nice to put stuff into
Freeplane as well from OPML, etc.

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:47:46 PM UTC-7, Chris Lott wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM, jake london <kings...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org<javascript:>>
> wrote:
> > can, however, save the map as .odt or html and the notes seems to be
> > included in that case. If I do this, will pandoc be able to convert
> these
> > file types into an opml file that includes the notes?
> >
> > The reason I'm trying to do this is because so I can more effectively
> use
> > the headings and notes from Freeplane in Scrivener (mac writing program)
>
> Use with Scrivener was actually why I asked about OPML as an input
> format. As far as I know, John implemented a reader (which works
> well), but not a writer.
>
> So you are looking to do something like Freeplane -> HTML -> OPML?

> --
> Chris Lott <ch...-qMDBG1KJBpwBXFe83j6qeQ@public.gmane.org <javascript:>>

* Re: Pandoc and OPML
       [not found] ` <CAHJRaA432JWGSsNMAan69yPtQKBTUrN1e6Ligg5=5UTOYipO8g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>