Thanks for the really good advice, folks I've upgraded to a more modern workflow - XeTex at the moment Cheers Chris On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 20:26:16 UTC+10, Joost wrote: > > > On Tue, Sep 22 2015, david.p...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org wrote: > > Indeed, for me, Pandoc's default tex template outputs the unicode > > characters correctly, but this could be because my environment is set up > to > > use XeLaTeX. > > Well, that's probably not the reason, unless you've symlinked the > command `pdflatex` to `xelatex`. Pandoc's default latex template uses > the inputenc package with the [utf8] option. This ensures that LaTeX > accepts utf8 encoded input files, whereby non-ASCII-characters are > translated into LaTeX commands that produce them. So `æ` in the input > file will be translated to `\ae`, which will then be replaced with the > glyph `æ` in the pdf output. > > One reason to still use XeLaTeX (or LuaLaTeX) is that inputenc does not > support all Unicode characters, though. And It's easier to use system > fonts. > > -- > Joost Kremers > Life has its moments > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/1ce2e029-01fa-405d-94a6-468a12142e47%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.