* ligatures in html
@ 2015-09-21 10:57 Chris Wright
       [not found] ` <7d633ff1-c25d-436c-a66f-9a8456699db6-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Wright @ 2015-09-21 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I want to publish a document with an \ae ligature to html and to pdf. The
latex form "\ae robic" converts to the appropriate form and displays
properly in pdf, but the html just drops the ligature.

Simple test case:

chriswri$ cat > test.txt

\ae robic

chriswri$ more test.txt

\ae robic

chriswri$ pandoc -t native test.txt

[Para [RawInline (Format "tex") "\\ae ",Str "robic"]]

chriswri$ pandoc -t html test.txt

What's the best way around this - write a filter? finding some docs that
will help? (I've found that ... is automatically converted to an ellipsis
 - so \dots isn't necessary).

with thanks

Chris

* Re: ligatures in html
       [not found] ` <7d633ff1-c25d-436c-a66f-9a8456699db6-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-21 14:50   ` 'Jason Seeley' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]     ` <bbaae9b2-c139-415f-9063-86a887358b4c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Jason Seeley' via pandoc-discuss @ 2015-09-21 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

Ligatures like \ae are specific to the LaTeX (and thus PDF) writer, so they
don't work in any other formats. Pandoc just passes it through unchanged.
For HTML output, you can use an entity: `Æ` or `æ`, for upper
case or lower case. Another option is to use the unicode character directly
(how you do this depends on your system and text editor; in Windows hold
Alt and type 0230 on the number pad; in vim type CTRL-K a e; use a
character-map app, etc.) This should work for most output formats. It'll
work with LaTeX if you use XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX, as those allow unicode
input.

Jason

On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 5:57:37 AM UTC-5, Chris Wright wrote:

> I want to publish a document with an \ae ligature to html and to pdf. The
> latex form "\ae robic" converts to the appropriate form and displays
> properly in pdf, but the html just drops the ligature.
>

> Simple test case:
>

> chriswri$ cat > test.txt
>
> \ae robic
>
> chriswri$ more test.txt
>
> \ae robic
>
> chriswri$ pandoc -t native test.txt
>
> [Para [RawInline (Format "tex") "\\ae ",Str "robic"]]
>
> chriswri$ pandoc -t html test.txt

> What's the best way around this - write a filter? finding some docs that
> will help? (I've found that ... is automatically converted to an ellipsis
>  - so \dots isn't necessary).
>

> with thanks
>

> Chris

* Re: ligatures in html
       [not found]     ` <bbaae9b2-c139-415f-9063-86a887358b4c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-21 20:54       ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]         ` <20150921205458.GA92420-4kKid1p5UN4xFjuZnxJpBp3lxR28IOakuDuwTybUTCk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2015-09-21 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jason Seeley' via pandoc-discuss

Ideally pandoc's latex reader would recognize \ae and
convert it to the proper character, so feel free to put
an issue on the bug tracker about this.

+++ 'Jason Seeley' via pandoc-discuss [Sep 21 15 07:50 ]:
>   Hello,
>   Ligatures like \ae are specific to the LaTeX (and thus PDF) writer, so
>   they don't work in any other formats. Pandoc just passes it through
>   unchanged. For HTML output, you can use an entity: `&AElig;` or
>   `&aelig;`, for upper case or lower case. Another option is to use the
>   unicode character directly (how you do this depends on your system and
>   text editor; in Windows hold Alt and type 0230 on the number pad; in
>   vim type CTRL-K a e; use a character-map app, etc.) This should work
>   for most output formats. It'll work with LaTeX if you use XeLaTeX or
>   LuaLaTeX, as those allow unicode input.
>   Jason
>   On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 5:57:37 AM UTC-5, Chris Wright wrote:
>
>   I want to publish a document with an \ae ligature to html and to pdf.
>   The latex form "\ae robic" converts to the appropriate form and
>   displays properly in pdf, but the html just drops the ligature.
>
>   Simple test case:
>
>   chriswri$ cat > test.txt
>
>   \ae robic
>
>   chriswri$ more test.txt
>
>   \ae robic
>
>   chriswri$ pandoc -t native test.txt
>
>   [Para [RawInline (Format "tex") "\\ae ",Str "robic"]]
>
>   chriswri$ pandoc -t html test.txt

>   What's the best way around this - write a filter? finding some docs
>   that will help? (I've found that ... is automatically converted to an
>   ellipsis  - so \dots isn't necessary).
>
>   with thanks
>
>   Chris
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>   [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/bbaae9b2-c139-415f-
>   9063-86a887358b4c%40googlegroups.com.
>
>References

>   2. mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>   3. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/bbaae9b2-c139-415f-9063-86a887358b4c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>   4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

* Re: ligatures in html
       [not found]         ` <20150921205458.GA92420-4kKid1p5UN4xFjuZnxJpBp3lxR28IOakuDuwTybUTCk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-22  1:03           ` Chris Wright
From: Chris Wright @ 2015-09-22  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for the help folks.
I don't understand why this would be an issue with the latex reader- that's
a comment about me, not pandoc! - so I apologise for the laborious pace of
this question...

If I change the test document to:

$ cat test.md
... \ae robe

that's three periods then the ligature

and look at the native format:

$ pandoc -S -f markdown -t native test.md > test.native
[Para [Str "\8230",Space,RawInline (Format "tex") "\\ae ",Str "robe"]]

so the three periods are converted to the correct ellipsis character,
and the ligature is parsed to a RawInline

then outputting latex from this native representation:

$ pandoc -S -f native -t latex test.native
\ldots{} \ae robe

so Str "\8230" is converted to \dots, and the ligature is done from
RawInline

converting the same native to html:

$ pandoc -S -f native -t html test.native

the Str"\8230" is printed as the single ellipsis character, and the
RawInline is dropped.

It seems as if the md reader can parse three periods to an ellipsis
character, but doesn't have a representation of the ligature that would
work in both HTML and LaTex - thought it would work in LuaLaTeX/XeTex if it
outputted the ligature character (e.g. Str"\8230").

Might it work if the ligature was recognised as something like:

Ligature(ae) was generated in the native format, which could then be
converted by whatever writer produced the output format?

again,  thanks for your patience and help

Chris

@ 2015-09-22  9:52   ` david.pw.smith-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]     ` <874daeba-ced3-4d7d-b2ad-b0178e5a079b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: david.pw.smith-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-09-22  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I think the more obvious problem is that LaTeX doesn't handle UTF-8 well.
If UTF-8 is properly supported then you don't need escape characters at
all, you can just type the æ. These examples would work fine in both html
and XeTeX/XeLaTeX:

echo "... ærobic" | pandoc -s -f markdown -t html -o test.html

echo "... ærobic" | pandoc -s -f markdown -t latex -o test.tex

You can see for yourself with:

echo "... ærobic" | pandoc -s -f markdown --latex-engine=xelatex -o test.pdf

Indeed, for me, Pandoc's default tex template outputs the unicode
characters correctly, but this could be because my environment is set up to
use XeLaTeX.

Hope that clarifies a bit?

On Monday, 21 September 2015 11:57:37 UTC+1, Chris Wright wrote:

> I want to publish a document with an \ae ligature to html and to pdf. The
> latex form "\ae robic" converts to the appropriate form and displays
> properly in pdf, but the html just drops the ligature.
>

> Simple test case:
>

> chriswri$ cat > test.txt
>
> \ae robic
>
> chriswri$ more test.txt
>
> \ae robic
>
> chriswri$ pandoc -t native test.txt
>
> [Para [RawInline (Format "tex") "\\ae ",Str "robic"]]
>
> chriswri$ pandoc -t html test.txt

> What's the best way around this - write a filter? finding some docs that
> will help? (I've found that ... is automatically converted to an ellipsis
>  - so \dots isn't necessary).
>

> with thanks
>

> Chris

* Re: ligatures in html
       [not found]     ` <874daeba-ced3-4d7d-b2ad-b0178e5a079b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-22 10:12       ` Stefan Björk
From: Stefan Björk @ 2015-09-22 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Sorry for cutting in, but I wonder why using TeX macros in markdown in the
first place? As Jason and David points out, the 'Æ' ligature is available
in UTF-8 (and latin-1 as well, I think, since 'æ' is a characther of its
own in some Nordic countries), and since all modern variants of TeX, namely
XeTeX and LuaTeX, more or less requires UTF-8. By far, the easiest solution
should be to simply use the 'æ' character in markdown -- unless there are
some requirements of ascii-only markdown?

And yes, pandoc converts three dots '...' to an ellipsis '…', but '...' is
not a TeX macro.

tis 22 sep. 2015 kl 11:53 skrev <david.pw.smith-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:

> I think the more obvious problem is that LaTeX doesn't handle UTF-8 well.
> If UTF-8 is properly supported then you don't need escape characters at
> all, you can just type the æ. These examples would work fine in both html
> and XeTeX/XeLaTeX:
>
> echo "... ærobic" | pandoc -s -f markdown -t html -o test.html
>
> echo "... ærobic" | pandoc -s -f markdown -t latex -o test.tex
>
> You can see for yourself with:
>
> echo "... ærobic" | pandoc -s -f markdown --latex-engine=xelatex -o
> test.pdf
>
> Indeed, for me, Pandoc's default tex template outputs the unicode
> characters correctly, but this could be because my environment is set up to
> use XeLaTeX.
>
> Hope that clarifies a bit?
>

> On Monday, 21 September 2015 11:57:37 UTC+1, Chris Wright wrote:
>>
>> I want to publish a document with an \ae ligature to html and to pdf. The
>> latex form "\ae robic" converts to the appropriate form and displays
>> properly in pdf, but the html just drops the ligature.
>>

>> Simple test case:
>>

>> chriswri$ cat > test.txt
>>
>> \ae robic
>>
>> chriswri$ more test.txt
>>
>> \ae robic
>>
>> chriswri$ pandoc -t native test.txt
>>
>> [Para [RawInline (Format "tex") "\\ae ",Str "robic"]]
>>
>> chriswri$ pandoc -t html test.txt

>> What's the best way around this - write a filter? finding some docs that
>> will help? (I've found that ... is automatically converted to an ellipsis
>>  - so \dots isn't necessary).
>>

>> with thanks
>>

>> Chris
>>

>> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/874daeba-ced3-4d7d-b2ad-b0178e5a079b%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/874daeba-ced3-4d7d-b2ad-b0178e5a079b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

* Re: ligatures in html
       [not found]     ` <874daeba-ced3-4d7d-b2ad-b0178e5a079b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-22 10:26       ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]         ` <87twqmycla.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2015-09-22 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Tue, Sep 22 2015, david.pw.smith-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org wrote:
> Indeed, for me, Pandoc's default tex template outputs the unicode
> characters correctly, but this could be because my environment is set up to
> use XeLaTeX.

Well, that's probably not the reason, unless you've symlinked the
command `pdflatex` to `xelatex`. Pandoc's default latex template uses
the inputenc package with the [utf8] option. This ensures that LaTeX
accepts utf8 encoded input files, whereby non-ASCII-characters are
translated into LaTeX commands that produce them. So `æ` in the input
file will be translated to `\ae`, which will then be replaced with the
glyph `æ` in the pdf output.

One reason to still use XeLaTeX (or LuaLaTeX) is that inputenc does not
support all Unicode characters, though. And It's easier to use system
fonts.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments