* Latex tables using tabular instead of longtable
@ 2014-07-01  1:59 Wagner Macedo
       [not found] ` <CAKGY2P=5brJ1YHcGq_G_oc1Zsp6ZCXf6SDVVH9n2wUBG8uLF4A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Wagner Macedo @ 2014-07-01  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello guys.

I don't like how *longtable* handle with tables, spanning across pages
without needing, so I took advantage of the filtering mechanism and I did a
filter in python to generate the tables in a more traditional way (in the
sense of Latex) and I'm sharing with you below.

Please make suggestions, I did the things a few hardcoded because I didn't
see other way.

To understand what the filter do, let's say I have a file with the
following table:

*test.mkd*

Code   Name
------  ------
  1     Pandoc
  2     Latex
  3     Writer

Table: My *best* tools

The normal generated latex code would be

*test-longtable.tex*

\begin{longtable}[c]{@{}cl@{}}
\toprule\addlinespace
Code & Name
\\\addlinespace
\midrule\endhead
1 & Pandoc
\\\addlinespace
2 & Latex
\\\addlinespace
3 & Writer
\\\addlinespace
\bottomrule
\addlinespace
\caption{My \emph{best} tools}
\end{longtable}

But using the filter, the latex code will be

*test-tabular.tex*

\begin{table}[ht]

\caption{My \emph{best} tools}

\begin{tabular}{@{}cl@{}}
\toprule

Code & Name \\\midrule

1 & Pandoc \\
2 & Latex \\
3 & Writer \\

\bottomrule
\end{tabular}

\end{table}

Note I put \caption above as is more common to my writings.

*filter.py*

import pandocfilters as pf
def latex(s):
    return pf.RawBlock('latex', s)
def inlatex(s):
    return pf.RawInline('latex', s)
def tbl_caption(s):
    return pf.Para([inlatex(r'\caption{')] + s + [inlatex('}')])
def tbl_alignment(s):
    aligns = {
        "AlignDefault": 'l',
        "AlignLeft": 'l',
        "AlignCenter": 'c',
        "AlignRight": 'r',
    }
    return ''.join([aligns[e['t']] for e in s])
def tbl_headers(s):
    result = s[0][0]['c'][:]
    for i in range(1, len(s)):
        result.append(inlatex(' & '))
        result.extend(s[i][0]['c'])
    result.append(inlatex(r' \\\midrule'))
    return pf.Para(result)
def tbl_contents(s):
    result = []
    for row in s:
        para = []
        for col in row:
            para.extend(col[0]['c'])
            para.append(inlatex(' & '))
        result.extend(para)
        result[-1] = inlatex(r' \\' '\n')
    return pf.Para(result)
def do_filter(k, v, f, m):
    if k == "Table":
        return [latex(r'\begin{table}[ht]' '\n' r'\centering' '\n'),
                tbl_caption(v[0]),
                latex(r'\begin{tabular}{@{}%s@{}}' % tbl_alignment(v[1]) +
                      ('\n' r'\toprule')),
                tbl_headers(v[3]),
                tbl_contents(v[4]),
                latex(r'\bottomrule' '\n' r'\end{tabular}'),
                latex(r'\end{table}')]

if __name__ == "__main__":
    pf.toJSONFilter(do_filter)

--
Wagner Macedo

* Re: Latex tables using tabular instead of longtable
       [not found] ` <CAKGY2P=5brJ1YHcGq_G_oc1Zsp6ZCXf6SDVVH9n2wUBG8uLF4A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-07-01  3:39   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20140701033914.GA75863-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-07-01  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for sharing.  How does it deal with footnotes in tables?
(That is one thing that longtable does better.)

+++ Wagner Macedo [Jun 30 14 22:59 ]:

@ 2014-07-01  4:37       ` Wagner Macedo
From: Wagner Macedo @ 2014-07-01  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Well, I didn't think in that! Probably because I never needed.

But I remember long time ago something about it. I will search and post so.

--
Wagner Macedo

@ 2017-09-14 11:44   ` Jan Hermes
From: Jan Hermes @ 2017-09-14 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you very much for sharing!

Unfortunately this produces an error "IndexError:list index out of range"
in a recent pandoc version: 1.19.2.1

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "filters/tabular.py", line 53, in <module>
    pf.toJSONFilter(do_filter)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pandocfilters.py", line 132,
in toJSONFilter
    toJSONFilters([action])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pandocfilters.py", line 166,
in toJSONFilters
    sys.stdout.write(applyJSONFilters(actions, source, format))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pandocfilters.py", line 197,
in applyJSONFilters
    altered = walk(altered, action, format, meta)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pandocfilters.py", line 124,
in walk
    x[k] = walk(x[k], action, format, meta)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pandocfilters.py", line 111,
in walk
    item['c'] if 'c' in item else None, format, meta)
  File "filters/tabular.py", line 46, in do_filter
    tbl_headers(v[3]),
  File "filters/tabular.py", line 22, in tbl_headers
    result = s[0][0]['c'][:]
IndexError: list index out of range
pandoc: Error running filter filters/tabular.py
Filter returned error status 1

@ 2020-05-13 18:16   ` Leon Bartz
From: Leon Bartz @ 2020-05-13 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss