* enhancement: Treat Emacs table.el tables in Org mode files as Pandoc's markdown grid tables
@ 2016-12-11  3:33 Vicente Vera
       [not found] ` <1e14aba8-c90a-4c3c-81ec-385b2f7612e5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Vicente Vera @ 2016-12-11  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Org mode handles both simple plain ASCII tables (created with `C-c |`)
and Emacs `table.el` tables. The latter are basically the same as
Pandoc's markdown grid tables.

It seems Pandoc's Org reader treats `table.el` tables as Org ASCII
tables, since on conversion to `docx` the output gets mangled when
dealing with rows that contain multi-line paragraphs. The resulting
table arranges every new line of text into---often several---new rows.

On the other hand, Pandoc's markdown documents with grid tables get
what could be called proper treatment, i.e. 1 paragraph (including
multi-lines) == 1 row. This produces somewhat *cleaner*
tables. Division lines are displayed correctly too.

Pandoc's Org reader should distinguish between plain ASCII tables and
`table.el` tables and treat the latter as the markdown reader treats
grid tables.

* Re: enhancement: Treat Emacs table.el tables in Org mode files as Pandoc's markdown grid tables
       [not found] ` <1e14aba8-c90a-4c3c-81ec-385b2f7612e5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-13 23:04   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87fulrqvm9.fsf-NJ6QtbQ9hATDZamjJ9D3v6C1jgCzLlUE@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2016-12-13 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Vicente Vera <vicentemvp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Org mode handles both simple plain ASCII tables (created with `C-c |`)
> and Emacs `table.el` tables. The latter are basically the same as
> Pandoc's markdown grid tables.
>
> […]
>
> Pandoc's Org reader should distinguish between plain ASCII tables and
> `table.el` tables and treat the latter as the markdown reader treats
> grid tables.

I didn't know that Org mode allows additional table formats. Could you
please open an issue on GitHub for this?

<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/>

@ 2016-12-14 14:51       ` Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2016-12-14 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: albert+pandoc-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w