I'm trying to create several chapters for an esay I'm writing, but i'd like to *restart footnotes numbering for each chapter* and I don't know how to do it. After searching for information, I saw this on SuperUser (StackExchange) and I tried to replicate the solution. In that example, the user tried to convert several .md files into an html5 one, but I'm trying to get a single PDF file. I generate the file, *but it doesn't work as I wanted*. The file structure is like this: *chapters/* * 01-chapter.md* * 02-chapter.md* * 03-chapter.md* *format.sh* *parse.sh* *parse.sh* *pandoc -t pdf -o ~/Documents/test.pdf --file-scope chapters/*.md* *format.sh* *for f in chapters/*.md; * * do * * pandoc "$f" -o "$f" -t \ * * markdown+smart+footnotes-escaped_line_breaks+example_lists \* * --columns=80; * * done* In this example I have the same problem as OP had: "The problem is 01-chapter.md and 02-chapter.md have both a footnote [^1]. Basically I would like Pandoc to handle the footnotes for each file separately and not allow cross-referencing across my markdown files but I can't see any way to do this". The solution, apparently, is to use the *--file-scope* flag. I apply it, but on the resulting PDF there are two problems: 1. Footnote numbering *doesn't restart*: I had [1] and [2] in Chapter 1, and [1] and [2] in Chapter 2, but here I have [1] and [2] in Chapter 1 and [3] and [4] in Chapter 2. 2. *No links back* from the footnotes to the text where they were used. I'm just beginning to know pandoc and I don't understand exactly how that works, but I guess there must be some option in pandoc that can solve this. Any ideas? Thank you -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/1e5c9c3d-21a4-4f5f-a3d7-14845a1eb300n%40googlegroups.com.