* pandoc.1 and markdown.1 permissions
@ 2010-11-04 14:46 Paul R
       [not found] ` <4CD2C75C.9020704-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul R @ 2010-11-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi,

for some reasons, "cabal install pandoc" on my debian box will install pandoc.1 and
markdown.1 in /usr/local/share/man/man1 as root with owner and group "root" and permission
600.
Later, that will make automatic mandb cron job unhappy as it tries to run /usr/bin/mandb
as another user than root, therefore unable to read pandoc manpage.

     /etc/cron.daily/man-db:
     /usr/bin/mandb: can't open /usr/local/share/man/man1/pandoc.1: Permission denied
     run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/man-db exited with return code 2

The fix I propose is to install this files with perms 644, as it seems to be done by other
programs.

What do you think ?

--
Paul

* Re: pandoc.1 and markdown.1 permissions
       [not found] ` <4CD2C75C.9020704-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-11-04 15:32   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20101104153202.GB25944-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2010-11-04 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Paul R [Nov 04 10 15:46 ]:
> Hi,
>
> for some reasons, "cabal install pandoc" on my debian box will
> install pandoc.1 and markdown.1 in /usr/local/share/man/man1 as root
> with owner and group "root" and permission 600.
> Later, that will make automatic mandb cron job unhappy as it tries
> to run /usr/bin/mandb as another user than root, therefore unable to
> read pandoc manpage.
>
>     /etc/cron.daily/man-db:
>     /usr/bin/mandb: can't open /usr/local/share/man/man1/pandoc.1: Permission denied
>     run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/man-db exited with return code 2
>

> The fix I propose is to install this files with perms 644, as it
> seems to be done by other programs.
>
> What do you think ?

That makes sense.  I never ran into this problem, since I do a local
install with cabal.  The code to change would be in Setup.hs,
the function installManpages.  I'll try to do this when I have
a chance -- if you put an issue on the bug tracker, I'll be less
likely to forget about it.

John

@ 2010-11-07  1:53       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2010-11-07  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ John MacFarlane [Nov 04 10 08:32 ]:
> +++ Paul R [Nov 04 10 15:46 ]:
> > Hi,
> >
> > for some reasons, "cabal install pandoc" on my debian box will
> > install pandoc.1 and markdown.1 in /usr/local/share/man/man1 as root
> > with owner and group "root" and permission 600.
> > Later, that will make automatic mandb cron job unhappy as it tries
> > to run /usr/bin/mandb as another user than root, therefore unable to
> > read pandoc manpage.
> >
> >     /etc/cron.daily/man-db:
> >     /usr/bin/mandb: can't open /usr/local/share/man/man1/pandoc.1: Permission denied
> >     run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/man-db exited with return code 2
> >

> > The fix I propose is to install this files with perms 644, as it
> > seems to be done by other programs.
> >
> > What do you think ?
>
> That makes sense.  I never ran into this problem, since I do a local
> install with cabal.  The code to change would be in Setup.hs,
> the function installManpages.  I'll try to do this when I have
> a chance -- if you put an issue on the bug tracker, I'll be less
> likely to forget about it.

Unfortunately, this looks like a problem with Cabal.  I've put
a link to the issue on the bug tracker.

John