* Literate haskell & #-style headers
@ 2010-11-11 20:19 Conal Elliott
       [not found] ` <AANLkTi=BQACeu=3U6fQfYaRj74tt_YLVdKn96DHgjk7z-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Conal Elliott @ 2010-11-11 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Does anyone know how to use #-style markdown headers without ghc choking on
them (as preprocessor directives)? I can use the underline variant for 1st &
2nd level headings ("-----" and "====="), but I often like more deeply
nested headings.

Thanks,  - Conal

* Re: Literate haskell & #-style headers
       [not found] ` <AANLkTi=BQACeu=3U6fQfYaRj74tt_YLVdKn96DHgjk7z-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-11-12  0:58   ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]     ` <AANLkTikTt+ww23wJKEUrNy7P_sT8hYZFaXUgNmVaNaJU-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2010-11-12  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 12 November 2010 07:19, Conal Elliott <conal-R2YG1wQAgWFeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to use #-style markdown headers without ghc choking on
> them (as preprocessor directives)? I can use the underline variant for 1st &
> 2nd level headings ("-----" and "====="), but I often like more deeply
> nested headings.

I haven't; in the end I resorted to using ---- and ====.  One
alternative I thought of (but never got around to implementing, since
I wasn't sure how to get it to work for other markdown-laden modules
that are imported) is to use a wrapper around ghci to strip out all
the non-markdown stuff.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

@ 2010-11-12  0:59       ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2010-11-12  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 12 November 2010 11:58, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<ivan.miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I haven't; in the end I resorted to using ---- and ====.  One
> alternative I thought of (but never got around to implementing, since
> I wasn't sure how to get it to work for other markdown-laden modules
> that are imported) is to use a wrapper around ghci to strip out all
> the non-markdown stuff.

I of course meant the non-haskell stuff, not the non-markdown stuff.

--

@ 2010-11-12  3:49   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20101112034930.GB5238-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2010-11-12  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Conal Elliott [Nov 11 10 12:19 ]:
>    Does anyone know how to use #-style markdown headers without ghc
>    choking on them (as preprocessor directives)? I can use the underline
>    variant for 1st & 2nd level headings ("-----" and "====="), but I often
>    like more deeply nested headings.
>    Thanks,  - Conal

As far as I know, there's no way to do this, which is irritating.

@ 2010-11-12  3:54   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2010-11-12  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Conal Elliott [Nov 11 10 12:19 ]:
>    Does anyone know how to use #-style markdown headers without ghc
>    choking on them (as preprocessor directives)? I can use the underline
>    variant for 1st & 2nd level headings ("-----" and "====="), but I often
>    like more deeply nested headings.

Remember that if your target is HTML, you can always use

<h3>heading</h3>

Ideally pandoc should parse these as Headers, rather than raw HTML.
There's already a bug report to this effect.

John

@ 2010-11-12  4:17       ` Aditya Mahajan
       [not found]         ` <alpine.LNX.2.01.1011112316350.10598-hp+K19G3GUfsOfiTfjgqeackG8iNl+kA@public.gmane.org>
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-11-12  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, John MacFarlane wrote:

> +++ Conal Elliott [Nov 11 10 12:19 ]:
>>    Does anyone know how to use #-style markdown headers without ghc
>>    choking on them (as preprocessor directives)? I can use the underline
>>    variant for 1st & 2nd level headings ("-----" and "====="), but I often
>>    like more deeply nested headings.
>>    Thanks,  - Conal
>
> As far as I know, there's no way to do this, which is irritating.

How about introducing a Markdown extension that treats ~~~~~~~~ as the
third level heading, just like rst.

Aditya

@ 2010-11-12 14:03           ` Tillmann Rendel
       [not found]             ` <4CDD491B.8010308-jNDFPZUTrfTbB13WlS47k8u21/r88PR+s0AfqQuZ5sE@public.gmane.org>
From: Tillmann Rendel @ 2010-11-12 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> How about introducing a Markdown extension that treats ~~~~~~~~ as the
> third level heading, just like rst.

I would like to see more "====="-style headings, so that large documents
with complex structure can be written with "====="-style headings. And
indeed, I can easily  think of a hierarchy of ten different
"====="-style headings:

> Level 1
> =======
>
> Level 2
> = = = =
>
> Level 3
> -------
>
> Level 4
> - - - -
>
> Level 5
> ~~~~~~~
>
> Level 6
> ~ ~ ~ ~
>
> Level 7
> :::::::
>
> Level 8
> : : : :
>
> Level 9
>
> Level 10
> . . . .

Now, this (or something similar) might be good for documents which
actually need 10 levels of headings, but what about documents which
don't? It would be annoying to use "=====" and "= = = =" for simple
documents with two levels of headings. Instead, we clearly want to use
the old "=====" and "-----" for such documents. (And also for backwards
compatibility).

I therefore propose to use the list of heading levels only for
structuring the document into a tree of sections, and then walk through
that tree and assign consistent heading levels.

For example, the document

> A section
> =========
>
> A subsection
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Another subsection
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Another section
> ===============
>
> A subsection
> - - - - - -
>
> A subsubsection
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

would be parsed as the following tree

1.     A Section
1.1    A Subsection
1.2    Another Subsection
2.     Another Section
2.1    A subsection
2.1.1  A subsubsection

and then transformed into the following.

> <h1>A section</h1>
> <h2>A subsection</h2>
> <h2>Another subsection</h2>
> <h1>Another section</h1>
> <h2>A subsection</h2>
> <h3>A subsubsection</h3>

Note how there is no fixed association between underlining style and
heading level.

I think this would be mostly backwards compatible. The only possibly
problematic thing I can think of: If a document contains "----"-headings
before the first "===="-heading, these "----"-headings would be parsed
as level 2-headings currently, but as level 1-headings in my proposal.

But this would enable users to use whatever heading style fits their
needs, *locally* to the section at hand. This is especially usefull if
independently written documents are to be composed into a single
document, like assembling a number of blog posts into a larger tutorial,
or a number of research papers into a cumulative thesis.

   Tillmann

@ 2010-11-12 19:04               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2010-11-12 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> I therefore propose to use the list of heading levels only for
> structuring the document into a tree of sections, and then walk
> through that tree and assign consistent heading levels.

This is how reStructuredText works -- but I don't want to
do that in pandoc's markdown reader, because it's not backwards
compatible with markdown.

John

@ 2010-11-13  4:02       ` Conal Elliott
       [not found]         ` <AANLkTimKL0=fk1qP0J8NC2XV9Yo12xzt4psCMKMJd+jh-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Conal Elliott @ 2010-11-13  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Here's a half-baked idea: When the input language is markdown+lhs, allow
#-style header to begin with a blank space.  Then ghc will treat such lines
as comments, while pandoc will treat them as headers.

Thoughts?

   - Conal

@ 2010-11-13  7:34           ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]             ` <AANLkTimtmHBCWW5T9UuuBo1s4FeVWk3cdYyyVCKC-9gu-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2010-11-13  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 13 November 2010 15:02, Conal Elliott <conal-R2YG1wQAgWFeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Here's a half-baked idea: When the input language is markdown+lhs, allow
> #-style header to begin with a blank space.  Then ghc will treat such lines
> as comments, while pandoc will treat them as headers.

That's not the only problem with ghc and markdown+lhs...

If you use bird-track style literate haskell, then  you can't use >
for quotes.  Furthermore, you have to remember to leave a blank line
before and after code if you're putting them inside ~~~~~ ... ~~~~~
-style code blocks.

As such, I wonder if it's possible we could get approved "Markdown
Haskell" in Haskell2011 or something such that it only cares about
code in such code blocks, maybe giving it a new extension if required.
 It probably won't happen though...

--

@ 2010-11-13 18:03               ` Conal Elliott
       [not found]                 ` <AANLkTinVacozstHv+7ZgjTeLR7odk70BPS81hoiCF0EO-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Conal Elliott @ 2010-11-13 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <
ivan.miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 13 November 2010 15:02, Conal Elliott <conal-R2YG1wQAgWFeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Here's a half-baked idea: When the input language is markdown+lhs, allow
> > #-style header to begin with a blank space.  Then ghc will treat such
> lines
> > as comments, while pandoc will treat them as headers.
>
> That's not the only problem with ghc and markdown+lhs...
>
> If you use bird-track style literate haskell, then  you can't use >
> for quotes.

You can't use ">" for quotes *unless* you precede the ">" by a space
character (i.e., " >"). I still have a hard time remembering the space.

>  Furthermore, you have to remember to leave a blank line
> before and after code if you're putting them inside ~~~~~ ... ~~~~~
> -style code blocks.
>
> As such, I wonder if it's possible we could get approved "Markdown
> Haskell" in Haskell2011 or something such that it only cares about
> code in such code blocks, maybe giving it a new extension if required.
>  It probably won't happen though...

Probably not unless there is more interest in markdown-based literate
Haskell programming than I've noticed so far.

@ 2012-12-13  1:01                   ` Jeremy Shaw
       [not found]                     ` <a86fc322-cf7a-4e10-aa92-3f3e16ae5796-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeremy Shaw @ 2012-12-13  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Has there been any progress made on this? I have the same exact problem.
Seems like there were some good ideas in this thread, but I don't see
anything in the manual about them being implemented.

In my case, I am willing to use the pandoc scripting API to do a
transformation.. but I am not really clear the best way to approach that.
If I create a new header style.. I think it will just show up as
undifferentiated RawInline or Str or something? So.. then I am left doing
sed-style text replacement?

- jeremy

@ 2012-12-14  1:53                       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2012-12-14  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Jeremy Shaw [Dec 12 12 17:01 ]:
>    Has there been any progress made on this? I have the same exact
>    problem. Seems like there were some good ideas in this thread, but I
>    don't see anything in the manual about them being implemented.

It would not be too hard to implement one of these proposals.  I
wouldn't want to alter standard markdown parsing, but I suppose I
could make the changes work only with literate Haskell...

>    In my case, I am willing to use the pandoc scripting API to do a
>    transformation.. but I am not really clear the best way to approach
>    that. If I create a new header style.. I think it will just show up as
>    undifferentiated RawInline or Str or something? So.. then I am left
>    doing sed-style text replacement?

If you're targeting HTML, you can just use raw HTML h3 tags...

John