* pandoc calls connect on Windows?
@ 2010-11-09 21:48 Peter Wang
       [not found] ` <20101109214800.GB1400-8h6xrAJxAEd82hYKe6nXyg@public.gmane.org>
From: Peter Wang @ 2010-11-09 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

I'm using pandoc as part of a build system to generate API
documentation.  When pandoc is called within an MS Visual Studio build,
it produces this error message:

pandoc.exe: connect: failed (Cannot assign requested address (WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL))

Is it too far fetched that pandoc (or one of the libraries it depends on)
calls connect, and Visual Studio runs build commands in a restricted
environment?

Peter

* Re: pandoc calls connect on Windows?
       [not found] ` <20101109214800.GB1400-8h6xrAJxAEd82hYKe6nXyg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-11-10 16:33   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20101110163328.GA30715-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2010-11-10 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have no idea what could be causing this... I'm completely
ignorant of Windows programming.  It might help to know what
options pandoc was called with, though.

+++ Peter Wang [Nov 10 10 08:48 ]:

@ 2010-11-11 13:22       ` Peter Wang
       [not found]         ` <20101111132159.GF1400-8h6xrAJxAEd82hYKe6nXyg@public.gmane.org>
From: Peter Wang @ 2010-11-11 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

No options are required.

However, I have discovered that the problem does not occur with
pandoc 1.4 and earlier versions.

@ 2010-11-12  8:45           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2010-11-12  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Peter Wang [Nov 12 10 00:22 ]:
> No options are required.
>
> However, I have discovered that the problem does not occur with
> pandoc 1.4 and earlier versions.

In 1.5, I added a dependency on network libraries, so pandoc
could take a URI as parameter.  My guess is that this is the
root of your problem...

John

@ 2010-11-12  9:57   ` Tillmann Rendel
       [not found]     ` <4CDD0F90.5030004-jNDFPZUTrfTbB13WlS47k8u21/r88PR+s0AfqQuZ5sE@public.gmane.org>
From: Tillmann Rendel @ 2010-11-12  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Wang; +Cc: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

Peter Wang wrote:
> I'm using pandoc as part of a build system to generate API
> documentation.  When pandoc is called within an MS Visual Studio build,
> it produces this error message:
>
> pandoc.exe: connect: failed (Cannot assign requested address (WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL))

Maybe the build system calls pandoc on something which looks like an
URI, and pandoc tries to fetch it, instead of accessing a local file?

   Tillmann

@ 2010-11-12 22:13       ` Peter Wang
       [not found]         ` <20101112221339.GI1400-8h6xrAJxAEd82hYKe6nXyg@public.gmane.org>
From: Peter Wang @ 2010-11-12 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tillmann Rendel; +Cc: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 2010-11-12, Tillmann Rendel <rendel-jNDFPZUTrfTbB13WlS47k8u21/r88PR+s0AfqQuZ5sE@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Peter Wang wrote:
> >I'm using pandoc as part of a build system to generate API
> >documentation.  When pandoc is called within an MS Visual Studio build,
> >it produces this error message:
> >
> >pandoc.exe: connect: failed (Cannot assign requested address (WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL))
>
> Maybe the build system calls pandoc on something which looks like an
> URI, and pandoc tries to fetch it, instead of accessing a local
> file?

Indeed.  Thanks to you and John; I had forgotten about this new feature
in pandoc.

      readSource src = case parseURI src of
                            Just u  -> readURI u
                            Nothing -> UTF8.readFile src

parseURI parses "c:/bar.txt" as if the drive was a URI scheme, so
readURI is called.  Perhaps pandoc should limit itself to "http:" schemes?

In the meantime, I can work around this by using native Windows syntax
(backslashes) when on Windows.

Peter

PS. My testing was a bit hasty before.

@ 2010-11-13  2:30           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2010-11-13  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Peter Wang [Nov 13 10 09:13 ]:
> On 2010-11-12, Tillmann Rendel <rendel-jNDFPZUTrfTbB13WlS47k8u21/r88PR+s0AfqQuZ5sE@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Peter Wang wrote:
> > >I'm using pandoc as part of a build system to generate API
> > >documentation.  When pandoc is called within an MS Visual Studio build,
> > >it produces this error message:
> > >
> > >pandoc.exe: connect: failed (Cannot assign requested address (WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL))
> >
> > Maybe the build system calls pandoc on something which looks like an
> > URI, and pandoc tries to fetch it, instead of accessing a local
> > file?
>
> Indeed.  Thanks to you and John; I had forgotten about this new feature
> in pandoc.
>
>       readSource src = case parseURI src of
>                             Just u  -> readURI u
>                             Nothing -> UTF8.readFile src
>
> parseURI parses "c:/bar.txt" as if the drive was a URI scheme, so
> readURI is called.  Perhaps pandoc should limit itself to "http:" schemes?

Done in
c2636e61d784e88c4a2c8916fdf564266dd7cabd

Thanks for the help debugging this, everyone.

John