From: John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: default citation style
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:19:03 -0800	[thread overview]

+++ John MacFarlane [Nov 17 10 11:57 ]:
> +++ dsanson [Nov 17 10 10:04 ]:
> > I like that idea very much.
> >
> > A built-in default bib file wouldn't make sense, but the option to put
> > a bib file (default.bib or default.mods or ...) in ~/.pandoc would be
> > nice, too.
>
> Yes, I agree.

I decided against implementing this.

The problem is that it causes pandoc to read and parse a bibliography
file every time it is run, even if the document doesn't contain
references.  This is a significant performance drag.

You might ask:  why not read it only if the document contains
references?  Because, currently, we determine whether a bare
'@blah' is a reference (as opposed to a reference to an example
list item, for example) is by checking the list of citations from
the bibliography.  So we need to read the bibliography before parsing.
It's possible that we should change this way of proceeding; I'll
post more on this issue in a bit.

John