* Pandoc RTF converter understanding latex styles
@ 2011-01-01 23:33 Ash
       [not found] ` <07ba0a8b-8ae8-435e-9ee3-b85819a791b5-4bqMOLBXvh/FX/zIJQasLWB/v6IoIuQBVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Ash @ 2011-01-01 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi there,

I've been looking to change my documents from RTF to a markup-based
format. The latex <a href="http://www.mcdemarco.net/sffms/">sffms</a>
package formats things the way I need, but only to PDF.

I still need to format back to RTF, and Pandoc's RTF converter seems
like a good option (now that John has <a href="http://superuser.com/
questions/200026/why-would-rtf-files-created-with-pandoc-be-opened-as-
plain-text/223974#223974">helped me work out how to use it</a> -
thanks John).

My problem now is letting Pandoc know I want to use the styling
defined in the sffms package. I've followed <a href="http://
groups.google.com/group/pandoc-discuss/browse_thread/thread/
793dd0198f21a37e/7dfc994a9d76c99d">this thread about sffms</a>, but it
seems to be going in the opposite direction (markdown to tex), so I'm
not sure how to apply it to my case.

Is what I'm trying to do feasible (or sensible) in Pandoc? I'm open to
using markdown instead of tex as my primary format (and initially
looked at doing this), but the formatting in the sffms package is
pretty close to what I need. I'm not sure what kind of effort is
required to style a native markdown document in the same way.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ash.

* Re: Pandoc RTF converter understanding latex styles
       [not found] ` <07ba0a8b-8ae8-435e-9ee3-b85819a791b5-4bqMOLBXvh/FX/zIJQasLWB/v6IoIuQBVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-01-02  3:02   ` fiddlosopher
       [not found]     ` <98aa2f61-cd32-423f-ad45-4d6f9f871e2f-83mmJWgklPoaEh5h7R/aW2B/v6IoIuQBVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: fiddlosopher @ 2011-01-02  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Jan 1, 3:33 pm, Ash <asho...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been looking to change my documents from RTF to a markup-based
> format. The latex <a href="http://www.mcdemarco.net/sffms/">sffms</a>
> package formats things the way I need, but only to PDF.
>
> I still need to format back to RTF, and Pandoc's RTF converter seems
> like a good option (now that John has <a href="http://superuser.com/
> questions/200026/why-would-rtf-files-created-with-pandoc-be-opened-as-
> plain-text/223974#223974">helped me work out how to use it</a> -
> thanks John).
>
> My problem now is letting Pandoc know I want to use the styling
> defined in the sffms package. I've followed <a href="http://
> groups.google.com/group/pandoc-discuss/browse_thread/thread/
> 793dd0198f21a37e/7dfc994a9d76c99d">this thread about sffms</a>, but it
> seems to be going in the opposite direction (markdown to tex), so I'm
> not sure how to apply it to my case.
>
> Is what I'm trying to do feasible (or sensible) in Pandoc? I'm open to
> using markdown instead of tex as my primary format (and initially
> looked at doing this), but the formatting in the sffms package is
> pretty close to what I need. I'm not sure what kind of effort is
> required to style a native markdown document in the same way.

If you're asking how you can produce a PDF from markdown that has the
same formatting as sffms-produced PDFs, then it's easy.  You just need
to use a custom latex template.

pandoc -D latex > mytemplate.latex
edit mytemplate.latex
markdown2pdf --template mytemplate.latex myfile.txt

When you edit mytemplate.latex, you'll want to change the
documentclass line

\documentclass[submission]{sffms}

everything else can stay the same.

You might be able to make custom templates for the other writers, too,
that
would give you similar formatting.  But you'd have to do that on a per-
writer
basis.

John

@ 2011-01-02  3:25       ` Ash
       [not found]         ` <ee621431-eb81-4ce7-94e7-4de317dd6be0-Af2+Wq0ryhmEyfFVa1rT8VYGCWtFR9XvQQ4Iyu8u01E@public.gmane.org>
From: Ash @ 2011-01-02  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi John, thanks for the response.

On Jan 2, 1:02 pm, fiddlosopher <fiddlosop...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> pandoc -D latex > mytemplate.latex
> edit mytemplate.latex
> markdown2pdf --template mytemplate.latex myfile.txt

I tried those steps and get the following error:

    markdown2pdf.exe: LaTeX Warning: Reference `sffmswc' on page 1
undefined on input line 14.

I'm very new to latex (as well as pandoc), so I'm not sure where to go
looking when things like this pop up.

It sounds like I'm going to have to dive into the internals of RTF in
order to work out how to format it as a target. Thanks for your help.

@ 2011-01-02  6:21           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2011-01-02  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Ash [Jan 01 11 19:25 ]:
> Hi John, thanks for the response.
>
> On Jan 2, 1:02 pm, fiddlosopher <fiddlosop...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > pandoc -D latex > mytemplate.latex
> > edit mytemplate.latex
> > markdown2pdf --template mytemplate.latex myfile.txt
>
> I tried those steps and get the following error:
>
>     markdown2pdf.exe: LaTeX Warning: Reference `sffmswc' on page 1
> undefined on input line 14.
>
> I'm very new to latex (as well as pandoc), so I'm not sure where to go
> looking when things like this pop up.

To debug this, it's better to avoid markdown2pdf.
Do

pandoc -s --template mytemplate.latex myfile.txt -o myfile.tex
pdflatex myfile.tex

You should get more informative error messages. Do you have the sffmswc
package installed?

John