* Uninstalling cabal-installed pandoc
@ 2012-04-01 15:28 R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found] ` <4F787410.4020907-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2012-04-01 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am on a Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit system.

Once pandoc-1.9.n was released I moved from the standard apt-get pandoc
package to a pandoc installed by cabal which now resides in a tree
rooted at ~/.cabal.

I recently found out than man pandoc did not work on my system. I
appended to MANPATH but that did not seem to fix it.

I am now trying to build from the Debian sid source package
pandoc-1.9.1.1 using the prevu script.

I realize that I after that I need to de-activate the cabal-installed
pandoc but am unsure who to accomplish that.

Can someone help me please or suggest a better method for co-existence
using update-alternatives or something like that?

Many thanks.

Chandra

* Re: Uninstalling cabal-installed pandoc
       [not found] ` <4F787410.4020907-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-04-01 18:15   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20120401181528.GB1906-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2012-04-01 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar [Apr 01 12 20:58 ]:
> I am on a Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit system.
>
> Once pandoc-1.9.n was released I moved from the standard apt-get
> pandoc package to a pandoc installed by cabal which now resides in a
> tree rooted at ~/.cabal.
>
> I recently found out than man pandoc did not work on my system. I
> appended to MANPATH but that did not seem to fix it.

Did you append the path $HOME/.cabal/share/man to MANPATH?
That works on my system (debian + cabal-installed pandoc).

> I am now trying to build from the Debian sid source package
> pandoc-1.9.1.1 using the prevu script.
>
> I realize that I after that I need to de-activate the
> cabal-installed pandoc but am unsure who to accomplish that.

There's no cabal uninstall.  You can first unregister the library,
'ghc-pkg unregister pandoc-1.9.1.2'.  Then delete the executable
at ~/.cabal/bin/pandoc.  Also delete the data files,
~/.cabal/share/pandoc-1.9.1.2, and the library files,
~/.cabal/lib/pandoc-1.9.1.2. That should do it, I think.

@ 2012-04-01 18:51       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]         ` <4F78A3C8.9040306-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2012-04-01 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 01/04/12 23:45, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Did you append the path $HOME/.cabal/share/man to MANPATH?
> That works on my system (debian + cabal-installed pandoc).

My $HOME/.bashrc file has the line:

MANPATH=$MANPATH:$HOME/.cabal/share/man/; export MANPATH

Yet, on doing `man pandoc` after running `source $HOME/.bashrc`, I get this:

Manual page pandoc(1) line ?/? (END) (press h for help or q to quit)

`which pandoc` points to the cabal-installed version and I have removed
and purged the version 1.8.n package from the Ubuntu/Debian repos.

On further investigation, I have found that markdown2pdf.1 exists in
$HOME/.cabal/share/man/man1 whereas the file
$HOME/.cabal/share/man/man1/pandoc/1 is indeed empty.

I wonder what could have caused it.

Incidentally, $HOME/.cabal/share/man/man5/pandoc_markdown.1 also exists
and is non-zero in length.

Both `man markdown2pdf` and `man pandoc_markdown` work and display
correctly.

I have also done

cabal update && cabal install --reinstall pandoc

to no avail.

Is there a bug somewhere? How might I restore the file pandoc.1?

> There's no cabal uninstall.  You can first unregister the library,
> 'ghc-pkg unregister pandoc-1.9.1.2'.  Then delete the executable
> at ~/.cabal/bin/pandoc.  Also delete the data files,
> ~/.cabal/share/pandoc-1.9.1.2, and the library files,
> ~/.cabal/lib/pandoc-1.9.1.2. That should do it, I think.

This sounds too drastic.

I would like to use your first solution if only I can figure out what is
causing the zero file size and why.

@ 2012-04-01 21:28           ` Dirk Laurie
       [not found]             ` <CABcj=tk6PXSDaEgUQg3wUaTiteDTL4xt5DgLixTPwGk-2nQD-g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Dirk Laurie @ 2012-04-01 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> On further investigation, I have found that markdown2pdf.1 exists in
> $HOME/.cabal/share/man/man1 whereas the file
> $HOME/.cabal/share/man/man1/pandoc/1 is indeed empty.
>
> I wonder what could have caused it.

I had exactly the same problem.  The cause is that pandoc.1 is
already empty in pandoc-1.9.1.2.tar.gz as downloaded by cabal
from hackage. The following worked for me:

   Untar the tarball in some directory.
   Delete the files man/man1/pandoc.1 and man/man5/pandoc.5

   runhaskell MakeManPage.hs
   cp -r man ~/.cabal/share

@ 2012-04-02  3:15               ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]                 ` <4F7919E7.9050202-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2012-04-02  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 02/04/12 02:58, Dirk Laurie wrote:
> I had exactly the same problem.  The cause is that pandoc.1 is
> already empty in pandoc-1.9.1.2.tar.gz as downloaded by cabal
> from hackage. The following worked for me:

Thanks for this.

I have done it and it solves my problem. However, it also generates two
error messages as noted below.
>     Untar the tarball in some directory.
>     Delete the files man/man1/pandoc.1 and man/man5/pandoc.5

I did not have a file called man/man5/pandoc.5. Instead, I had one
called pandoc_markdown.5 which I did not delete.

The file man/man1/pandoc.1 was of zero length in the extracted tarball.

>     runhaskell MakeManPage.hs
>     cp -r man ~/.cabal/share

Both the above were free of warning or error messages.

Now, I have a non-zero length pandoc.1 file. Interestingly, both

man pandoc

and

man pandoc_markdown

give these warnings:

man: warning: $HOME/.cabal/share/man/man1/pandoc.1.template: ignoring
bogus filename

and

man: warning: $HOME/.cabal/share/man/man5/pandoc_markdown.5.template:
ignoring bogus filename

Perhaps the script for generating the man pages should not copy over the
template files?

Do I need to file a bug report or will this thread do?

Thank you once more.

@ 2012-04-02  4:02                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <20120402040230.GA5284-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2012-04-02  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar [Apr 02 12 08:45 ]:
> On 02/04/12 02:58, Dirk Laurie wrote:
> >I had exactly the same problem.  The cause is that pandoc.1 is
> >already empty in pandoc-1.9.1.2.tar.gz as downloaded by cabal
> >from hackage. The following worked for me:
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> I have done it and it solves my problem. However, it also generates
> two error messages as noted below.
> >    Untar the tarball in some directory.
> >    Delete the files man/man1/pandoc.1 and man/man5/pandoc.5
>
> I did not have a file called man/man5/pandoc.5. Instead, I had one
> called pandoc_markdown.5 which I did not delete.
>
> The file man/man1/pandoc.1 was of zero length in the extracted tarball.
>
> >    runhaskell MakeManPage.hs
> >    cp -r man ~/.cabal/share
>
> Both the above were free of warning or error messages.
>
> Now, I have a non-zero length pandoc.1 file. Interestingly, both
>
> man pandoc
>
> and
>
> man pandoc_markdown
>
> give these warnings:
>
> man: warning: $HOME/.cabal/share/man/man1/pandoc.1.template:
> ignoring bogus filename
>
> and
>
> man: warning:
> $HOME/.cabal/share/man/man5/pandoc_markdown.5.template: ignoring
> bogus filename
>
> Perhaps the script for generating the man pages should not copy over
> the template files?
>
> Do I need to file a bug report or will this thread do?

This will do.  I am still not sure, though, why the generated
tarball had a 0-length man page.  (Nor do I understand the error
messages you say you are getting.)  But I will look into it.

@ 2012-04-02  4:40                   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2012-04-02  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar [Apr 02 12 08:45 ]:
> On 02/04/12 02:58, Dirk Laurie wrote:
> >I had exactly the same problem.  The cause is that pandoc.1 is
> >already empty in pandoc-1.9.1.2.tar.gz as downloaded by cabal
> >from hackage. The following worked for me:
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> I have done it and it solves my problem. However, it also generates
> two error messages as noted below.
> >    Untar the tarball in some directory.
> >    Delete the files man/man1/pandoc.1 and man/man5/pandoc.5
>
> I did not have a file called man/man5/pandoc.5. Instead, I had one
> called pandoc_markdown.5 which I did not delete.
>
> The file man/man1/pandoc.1 was of zero length in the extracted tarball.
>
> >    runhaskell MakeManPage.hs
> >    cp -r man ~/.cabal/share
>
> Both the above were free of warning or error messages.
>
> Now, I have a non-zero length pandoc.1 file. Interestingly, both
>
> man pandoc
>
> and
>
> man pandoc_markdown
>
> give these warnings:
>
> man: warning: $HOME/.cabal/share/man/man1/pandoc.1.template:
> ignoring bogus filename
>
> and
>
> man: warning:
> $HOME/.cabal/share/man/man5/pandoc_markdown.5.template: ignoring
> bogus filename
>
> Perhaps the script for generating the man pages should not copy over
> the template files?

It doesn't.  You copied them over yourself when you did:

> >    cp -r man ~/.cabal/share

You should only copy pandoc.1 and pandoc_markdown.5.

@ 2012-04-04  7:12                       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]                         ` <4F7BF46E.9050800-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2012-04-04  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 02/04/12 09:32, John MacFarlane wrote:
> +++ R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar [Apr 02 12 08:45 ]:

>> Do I need to file a bug report or will this thread do?
>
> This will do.  I am still not sure, though, why the generated
> tarball had a 0-length man page.  (Nor do I understand the error
> messages you say you are getting.)  But I will look into it.

FWIW, I can confirm that this behaviour (zero length man page) persists
after I did

cabal update && cabal install pandoc texmath

this morning (04 Apr 2012). I needed to restore the man page from an
archived copy of pandoc.1.

@ 2012-04-04 16:43                           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                             ` <20120404164318.GC19411-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2012-04-04 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar [Apr 04 12 12:42 ]:
> On 02/04/12 09:32, John MacFarlane wrote:
> >+++ R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar [Apr 02 12 08:45 ]:
>
> >>Do I need to file a bug report or will this thread do?
> >
> >This will do.  I am still not sure, though, why the generated
> >tarball had a 0-length man page.  (Nor do I understand the error
> >messages you say you are getting.)  But I will look into it.
>
> FWIW, I can confirm that this behaviour (zero length man page)
> persists after I did
>
> cabal update && cabal install pandoc texmath
>
> this morning (04 Apr 2012). I needed to restore the man page from an
> archived copy of pandoc.1.

Yes, I need to do a new release with the proper man page.  I plan
to do that soon.

@ 2012-04-04 17:02                               ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2012-04-04 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 04/04/12 22:13, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Yes, I need to do a new release with the proper man page.  I plan
> to do that soon.

Thank you.

Chandra