* Including links with LaTeX code.
@ 2013-10-16 12:45 David Menéndez Hurtado
       [not found] ` <96f9dd8e-35e9-4de8-934b-e847d616bf04-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: David Menéndez Hurtado @ 2013-10-16 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I am using Bitbucket's Markdown wiki for source code documentation. It
doesn't support inline LaTeX, so I am linking the images from codecogs. The
code looks like this:

This formula: ![](http://latex.codecogs.com/svg.latex?|W_1W_2|) is
important.
My image: ![](peak_detection/detection_1.png)

I want to be able to generate pdf files from here. If I try directly, it
understands the link as actual LaTeX code:

$ pandoc -o peak.pdf peak_detection.md
pandoc: Could not find image
`http://latex.codecogs.com/svg.latex?|W_1W_2|', skipping...
pandoc: Error producing PDF from TeX source.
! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text>
                $
l.100 ...com/svg.latex?\textbar{}W_1W_2\textbar{}}

It compiles nicely to html, but if I try to transform that to pdf, the
lines get amputated at the formulas. In my example, the PDF output is:

This formula:
My image: [the_image]

I have also tried the --self-contained flag. With v 1.11.1 installed from
Fedora repositories, my images were included, but the LaTeX links were left
as they were without warning, whereas in the v 1.12.0.2 from cabal, it says:

pandoc: Could not find data file http://latex.codecogs.com/svg.latex

and no output is produced.

Codecogs has also a png option instead of png, but the results are the same
in all cases.

Is there a way I can produce PDF files of my wiki, including formulas? I
have a few pages, so I don't mind generate them one by one, but I need the
same .md code to work in Bitbucket and in pdf.

Thank you,

/David.

* Re: Including links with LaTeX code.
       [not found] ` <96f9dd8e-35e9-4de8-934b-e847d616bf04-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-10-16 16:10   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20131016161045.GB52267-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-10-16 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've traced down the problem.  Pandoc does try to download images
when absolute URIs are given, but in this case it isn't doing it because
"http://latex.codecogs.com/svg.latex?|W_1W_2|" is not recognized as
an absolute URI.  Network.URI's function isAbsoluteURI gives False.
That seems odd to me, but perhaps it's because the | characters aren't
encoded?  I will look into it and try to fix.  It might be a bug in the
network library.

+++ David Menéndez Hurtado [Oct 16 13 05:45 ]:

@ 2013-10-16 16:27       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-10-16 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

OK -- solution is to encode the | characters as %7C.

If you write
 ![](http://latex.codecogs.com/svg.latex?%7CW_1W_2%7C)

it should work

+++ John MacFarlane [Oct 16 13 09:10 ]: