* Unicode checkbox lists? Surely you're joking.
@ 2013-10-25  4:04 John Gabriele
       [not found] ` <CAO9PwMVAy4bR6Z2wnOsf_sRornXWzRJ7s0bj9UKG1x4vqq8vBg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: John Gabriele @ 2013-10-25  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi all,

This isn't a question, or a request.

I just stumbled upon an article about [github's markdown](
https://help.github.com/articles/github-flavored-markdown). They appear to
have some markup for "checkbox lists" (which they call "task lists"). It
goes like:

~~~
colors:

- [ ] red
- [x] green
- [ ] blue
- [x] pink
~~~

(Looks like the rendered html gives you clickable boxes ... not sure why
you'd want that in most docs.)

If I were to do that in Pandoc markdown, it would probably be using Unicode
characters, like so:

~~~
colors:

| ☐ red
| ☒ green
| ☐ blue
| ☒ pink
~~~

(Looks good in source, and pretty good as html as well. Also, I only type
each Unicode char once, and then copy/paste thereafter.)

That said, it would be neat if Pandoc would recognize those Unicode
checkbox characters as list markers, so you could write:

~~~
colors:

  ☐ red
  ☒ green
  ☐ blue
  ☒ pink
~~~

(replacing each pipe character with a space, such that the 4-space rule is
honored).

Seems like there's a handful of really neat unicode markup possibilities
out there which, while breaking compat with other markdowns, would OTOH be
pretty rad. :)

-- John

* Re: Unicode checkbox lists? Surely you're joking.
       [not found] ` <CAO9PwMVAy4bR6Z2wnOsf_sRornXWzRJ7s0bj9UKG1x4vqq8vBg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-10-25  7:33   ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]     ` <CAFC_yuS=rbfiQSriqH2NJ68zFp+ruUUjz_J-Em2XoErCZU_Sew-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: BP Jonsson @ 2013-10-25  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

How do you type/enter those chars? Looking them up in a character finder? I
have hacked my keyboard layout to be more to my liking

http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell/Blog/custom-keyboard-in-linuxx11

I also use keymaps in Vim, and I expect that we someday will have keyboards
which are actually touch screens so that we see the layout we are currently
using. Typing in a layout different from the one printed on the physical
keys is a skill I've failed to acquire. I know someone who does it but he
has typed so much on an actual Russian keyboard that he has it in muscle
memory.

Den fredagen den 25:e oktober 2013 skrev John Gabriele:

> Hi all,
>
> This isn't a question, or a request.
>
> I just stumbled upon an article about [github's markdown](
> https://help.github.com/articles/github-flavored-markdown). They appear
> to have some markup for "checkbox lists" (which they call "task lists"). It
> goes like:
>
> ~~~
> colors:
>
> - [ ] red
> - [x] green
> - [ ] blue
> - [x] pink
> ~~~
>
> (Looks like the rendered html gives you clickable boxes ... not sure why
> you'd want that in most docs.)
>
> If I were to do that in Pandoc markdown, it would probably be using
> Unicode characters, like so:
>
> ~~~
> colors:
>
> | ☐ red
> | ☒ green
> | ☐ blue
> | ☒ pink
> ~~~
>
> (Looks good in source, and pretty good as html as well. Also, I only type
> each Unicode char once, and then copy/paste thereafter.)
>
> That said, it would be neat if Pandoc would recognize those Unicode
> checkbox characters as list markers, so you could write:
>
> ~~~
> colors:
>
>   ☐ red
>   ☒ green
>   ☐ blue
>   ☒ pink
> ~~~
>
> (replacing each pipe character with a space, such that the 4-space rule is
> honored).
>
> Seems like there's a handful of really neat unicode markup possibilities
> out there which, while breaking compat with other markdowns, would OTOH be
> pretty rad. :)
>
> -- John
>
>  --
> .
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAO9PwMVAy4bR6Z2wnOsf_sRornXWzRJ7s0bj9UKG1x4vqq8vBg%40mail.gmail.com
> .

/BP

@ 2013-10-25  9:09   ` Ryan Gray
       [not found]     ` <BDB4550A-E331-4CF0-8C5C-E0FF62DB37CB-BUHhN+a2lJ4@public.gmane.org>
From: Ryan Gray @ 2013-10-25  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandoc Discuss

To make the line breaks, you can always add two spaces at the end of each line.

You can also use HTML entity names and codes, but those don't always nice in source. I found these matched:

&#9744; Red
&boxtimes; Blue

I was not finding entities with 'x' and a counterpart without that matched in size and had entity names rather than codes.

However, I rather like:

- Red
- &check; Blue

Since that's an easy to remember entity name.

-Ryan

@ 2013-10-25  9:41       ` Shahbaz Youssefi
From: Shahbaz Youssefi @ 2013-10-25  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm against anything that's not on the keyboard. The checkboxes do look
neat, but they are hard to type, and as a programmer, I don't like spending
1 minute typing only one character.

I like the github style though. It's simple to write and still looks
fabulous.

@ 2013-10-25 12:47   ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]     ` <526A6854.1020004-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2013-10-25 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

As an aside, anything I don't write in a text editor and use pandoc on,
I use zim wiki for; it has great checkbox/task functionality and uses
the syntax much like below.

@ 2013-10-25 13:52       ` John Gabriele
From: John Gabriele @ 2013-10-25 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 3:33 AM, BP Jonsson <bpjonsson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> How do you type/enter those chars? Looking them up in a character finder?

I look in [a list I keep of commonly-used chars], then either copy/paste or
else type in the code point number (in Emacs, that's "C-x 8 RET
{code-point} RET").

[a list I keep of commonly-used chars]:
http://unexpected-vortices.com/doc-notes/some-common-unicode-characters.html

@ 2013-10-25 14:16       ` John Gabriele
From: John Gabriele @ 2013-10-25 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>wrote:

> As an aside, anything I don't write in a text editor and use pandoc on,
> I use zim wiki for; it has great checkbox/task functionality and uses
> the syntax much like below.

Thanks for the heads-up. Though, I'm not crazy about how the Zim wiki
syntax looks for those checkboxes.

Since Pandoc's line blocks preserve leading space (using non-breaking
spaces), if I need nested checkbox lists (which doesn't happen often, for
me), I think for now I can live with (and prefer to the Zim syntax):

~~~
|  ☐ this
|  ☑ that
|      ☒ but not this
|      ☒ nor that
|  ☐ other
|  ☑ nil
~~~

-- John

* Re: Unicode checkbox lists? Surely you're joking.
       [not found] ` <CAO9PwMVAy4bR6Z2wnOsf_sRornXWzRJ7s0bj9UKG1x4vqq8vBg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-10-25 16:55   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-10-25 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ John Gabriele [Oct 25 13 00:04 ]:
> Hi all,
>
> This isn't a question, or a request.
>
> I just stumbled upon an article about [github's markdown](
> https://help.github.com/articles/github-flavored-markdown). They appear to
> have some markup for "checkbox lists" (which they call "task lists"). It
> goes like:
>
> ~~~
> colors:
>
> - [ ] red
> - [x] green
> - [ ] blue
> - [x] pink
> ~~~

One option that would already work with pandoc is:

- ![_] red
- ![x] green
- ![_] blue

and then at the end: