From: Werner LEMBERG <wl-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org>
To: d.p.carlisle-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
Cc: frank.mittelbach-mA33O8PENLSoClj4AeEUq9i2O/JbrIOy@public.gmane.org,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org,
	jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: serious bug in longtable
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:14:45 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

Hello David!

Thanks for you reply.

> Sorry about that I'll see what I can do. As I recall I didn't just
> apply the patch at the time as I was concerned that apart from
> fixing obvious bug cases it could (or did) change the page breaking
> in edge cases where the existing case is OK but the new case flipped
> a line over.  I could make the new code an option, but then its a
> non-optional option that lasts forever, or I could make the old code
> an option (which might be preferable, except no one would use it).
> Not that that's really an excuse for not doing anything at all.

:-) In case you have a LaTeX document, it's rather easy to circumvent
the problem by moving the float or table, or slightly adjust some
parameters to avoid the effect.  However, for generated files coming
from pandoc, this possibility is not given – except if the created
intermediate LaTeX document gets manually modified, but this
completely defeats the very purpose of pandoc.

> On the licence, I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me that you can
> distribute a modified longtable.sty according to LPPL3 [...]

I've read the LPPL3.  However – and this is probably a bug itself –,
the following text can be found at the very beginning of
longtable.sty:

  %% This file may only be distributed together with a copy of the
  %% LaTeX `Tools Bundle'. You may however distribute the LaTeX `Tools
  %% Bundle' without such generated files.
  %%
  %% The list of all files belonging to the LaTeX `Tools Bundle' is
  %% given in the file `manifest.txt'.

It's quite clear that the `Tools Bundle' isn't a single file...

> 6a you modify the \ProvidesPackage string so it says you modified
> it.
>
> 6d2 Tell people they can get the original from CTAN.

It is my plan to add a remark, of course.  To avoid any issues, I
could even rename the file itself to, say, `longtable-fixed.sty',
since I have control over pandoc's LaTeX template.

> If you think that is not the case, then certainly I can give you a
> modified longtable.sty under these conditions.

This would be great!  However, a general fix to longtable.sty is a
*much* better solution in the long run :-)

    Werner