* --self-contained but do not download absolute URL's for HTML output?
@ 2014-06-15  2:07 Yihui Xie
       [not found] ` <bc89c9df-3de3-490c-b54e-5b1451f3c234-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Yihui Xie @ 2014-06-15  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm looking for an option like "semi self-contained" when converting
Markdown to HTML. Specifically, I want --self-contained without downloading
the absolute URL's. For example, all images with relative paths are
embedded in the document, but the JS/CSS files with absolute URL's
(http[s]://...) are left untouched. The reason for this is that sometimes I
want to host JS/CSS in the HTML header in a common place that is shared
across multiple HTML pages, instead of embedding all of them in every
single page, to reduce the size of self-contained HTML files. I do not care
that these pages do not work well off-line. Is there a straightforward way
to achieve this? Thanks!

Regards,
Yihui

* Re: --self-contained but do not download absolute URL's for HTML output?
       [not found] ` <bc89c9df-3de3-490c-b54e-5b1451f3c234-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-06-16 19:36   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20140616193648.GA31825-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-16 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Your best bet would be to use --self-contained but generate a fragment
(i.e. don't use -s/--standalone option).  This should handle all of
your images.  Then include it as the body.  I haven't tested this
command, but something like this should work:

     echo "" | pandoc -s -V body=`pandoc --self-contained input.txt` \
           --template=mytemplate.html

+++ Yihui Xie [Jun 14 14 19:07 ]:

@ 2016-03-24 20:18       ` Yihui Xie
       [not found]         ` <CANROs4f80WRDNXryk8WtqvaetMeuQiHO7-YMEOVfDBxTP+vm6w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Yihui Xie @ 2016-03-24 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for the solution! I'm revisiting this issue since I still think
it will be nice to have an option to control the behavior. The
solution you proposed will not work for two cases:

1) http(s) resources in the body, e.g.

  <script src="http://example.com/foo.js"></script>

2) local resources in the head, e.g.

<head>
  <script src="js/foo.js"></script>
</head>

I'd propose to extend the --self-contained option by allowing
additional values besides true/false, e.g. --self-contained=local
meaning only embedded local resources.

If this becomes possible, MathJax would work in the self-contained
mode. As I said, embedding all absolute URLs may not be a good option
when rendering multiple HTML pages. It may be slow to download all
resources multiple times, and it can significantly increase the size
of HTML files. What is more, some web resources just cannot be
embedded.

Although I'm not familiar with Haskell, I imagine this should not be
super difficult to implement. It should be something like a regex
check ^http(s)? and leave it alone if it is an absolute URL. Thanks!

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Web: http://yihui.name

@ 2016-03-24 22:23           ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]             ` <20160324222335.GA80209-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-03-24 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Out of interest, what is the advantage to being partly
self-contained?  If you're relying on an internet connection
anyway, why not leave everything as a linked resource?

+++ Yihui Xie [Mar 24 16 15:18 ]:

@ 2016-03-24 22:40               ` Yihui Xie
From: Yihui Xie @ 2016-03-24 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The main advantage is the smaller file size, e.g. you can just use the
jQuery CDN instead of embedding a copy of jQuery in every single HTML
page. The page is completely self-contained when there is an internet
connection, and partially self-contained when there is not. In the
latter case, it may not really matter depending on what these external
resources do, e.g. if a certain CSS file fails to load, the
consequence is the style may be broken but the content is still there.

Being partially self-contained also makes it easier to deploy the HTML
files -- there are no other local resources to be uploaded. Just
upload all html files and you are done.

Regards,
Yihui