* converting to docx or odt failed
@ 2014-06-10 21:25 Cesar Romani
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Cesar Romani @ 2014-06-10 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm using pandoc 1.12.5 on Windows 7. Whenever I try to convert a
certain markdown file to docx or odt I get:

pandoc: Data.Binary.Get.runGet at position 20: Unknown tag type 256

What does the above line means?
The conversion to epub is fine.

Many thanks in advance,

--
Cesar

* Re: converting to docx or odt failed
@ 2014-06-11  7:06 ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]   ` <20140611070647.GE60950-9Rnp8PDaXcZ2EAH53EmH34tHsfhOvSUSZkel5v8DVj8@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-11  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This error almost certainly comes from zip-archive, and has to
do with unpacking the reference.docx or reference.odt zip archive.

What does 'ghc-pkg list zip-archive' say?

Try 'cabal update && cabal install --force --reinstall zip-archive pandoc'

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

+++ Cesar Romani [Jun 10 14 16:25 ]:

@ 2014-06-15 22:58 ` makaleci dost
       [not found]   ` <16e89fea-fb93-4114-a1bb-257e0238ddcd-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: makaleci dost @ 2014-06-15 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello,

I am new to pandoc and I am receiving a similar error while converting from
latex to docx. I try to run

pandoc -f latex -t docx -o document.docx document.tex

I get the error

pandoc: Unknown tag type 256. Failed reading at byte position 20

I would appreciate any help.

@ 2014-06-16  1:13     ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-16  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What version of pandoc are you using, and how did you install it?

@ 2014-06-17  0:26     ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-17  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have not been able to reproduce this.

Can you attach or link to a source file (document.tex)
that causes the problem?

Also, what version of pandoc, and how did you install it?

+++ makaleci dost [Jun 15 14 15:58 ]:

@ 2014-06-19 15:03     ` Cesar Romani
       [not found]       ` <53A2FBA8.1090909-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Cesar Romani @ 2014-06-19 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: John MacFarlane

On 11/06/2014 02:06 a.m., John MacFarlane wrote:
 > This error almost certainly comes from zip-archive, and has to
 > do with unpacking the reference.docx or reference.odt zip archive.
 >
 > What does 'ghc-pkg list zip-archive' say?
 >
 > Try 'cabal update && cabal install --force --reinstall zip-archive
 > pandoc'

I found the cause of the error. It was due to some png images. If I
remove them, then it converts fine.
Then, I load and save the png images with MsPaint, and then it converted
fine to docx and odt.

Regards,

--

@ 2014-06-19 18:24         ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-19 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: John MacFarlane

+++ Cesar Romani [Jun 19 14 10:03 ]:
>On 11/06/2014 02:06 a.m., John MacFarlane wrote:
>> This error almost certainly comes from zip-archive, and has to
>> do with unpacking the reference.docx or reference.odt zip archive.
>>
>> What does 'ghc-pkg list zip-archive' say?
>>
>> Try 'cabal update && cabal install --force --reinstall zip-archive
>> pandoc'
>
>I found the cause of the error. It was due to some png images. If I
>remove them, then it converts fine.
>Then, I load and save the png images with MsPaint, and then it converted
>fine to docx and odt.

This is almost certainly a problem with Text.Pandoc.ImageSize,
which may be making assumptions about pngs that are not universally
true.  It would be helpful if those of you who have had this problem
could send me samples of PNGs that cause the problem, so I can test.

John

* Re: converting to docx or odt failed
@ 2014-06-19 21:31 ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]   ` <20140619213157.GB23401-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-19 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm going to modify the exif header parser in ImageSize so that
ignores, rather than crashing, if an unknown tag type is encountered.
That should prevent this problem from arising in the future.

+++ Cesar Romani [Jun 10 14 16:25 ]:

@ 2014-07-09  3:16     ` Andrew Dunning
       [not found]       ` <06d08c88-b180-45fb-99ce-ff3cedf7f4aa-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Dunning @ 2014-07-09  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Interestingly, I'm now running into this problem (pandoc 1.12.4.2), but in
a file without images:

Data.Binary.Get.runGet at position 152: Unknown tag type 50341

@ 2014-07-09  3:42         ` Andrew Dunning
From: Andrew Dunning @ 2014-07-09  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

No, never mind; it is an image that was causing the issue (long story). In
any case, I can confirm the existence of the problem.

@ 2014-07-30 21:42     ` correio-/+iEWPDoN2yHYLhqrb4AQA
       [not found]       ` <d8515644-a81b-4e59-9363-78a51595a4c0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: correio-/+iEWPDoN2yHYLhqrb4AQA @ 2014-07-30 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm having the same problem (converting from markdown to odt or docx):

pandoc: Data.Binary.Get.runGet at position 20: Unknown tag type 256

Image file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcub7j9opruijzv/Danilo-PQ-03-DOUTORADO-Cronograma.jpg

Last week, I had a similar problem, with the same image, but the error
message was different:
pandoc: Data.Binary.Get.runGet at position 0: demandInput: not enough bytes

... and I did not find any topic about that. Curiously, it has changed now,
for the first mentioned above, though, and that brought me to this topic.

All the best,
Danilo

@ 2015-04-02 12:56         ` correio-/+iEWPDoN2yHYLhqrb4AQA
       [not found]           ` <a5146fda-ce0c-48e3-ac87-368380db6b03-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: correio-/+iEWPDoN2yHYLhqrb4AQA @ 2015-04-02 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dear fellows,

I'm still having the message below, when I try to export images to .odt or
.docx:

pandoc: Data.Binary.Get.runGet at position 20: Unknown tag type 256

Any further developments on this issue?

All the best,
Danilo

@ 2015-04-02 13:09             ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]               ` <CALuQ0m_kdjn_xNRJ+7SL1AbbJq-Yr6KvpvHJ8+Bua0CL_nqp1Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-04-02 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Danilo, almost certainly the image file is corrupted in some way.
Try opening it in any image editing program and resaving it.

@ 2015-04-02 13:17                 ` Danilo Matoso Macedo
       [not found]                   ` <CAMBvf7D00iARDFmxO8EA+C__9mY8KDMCD1RuM8=e=Wppp+CdUQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Danilo Matoso Macedo @ 2015-04-02 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your answer.
However, it does happen to several images, other than the example from
last july. In fact, it does happen to every image I try to export...
It happens to other friends who try to do so too... So, it is most
likely not a problem with the images...

Best regards,
Danilo

@ 2015-04-02 14:33                     ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]                       ` <CALuQ0m_F+DXnTtkzjSRppNeYJBOOPic=NRqCmnq-Jh7BB6TW-g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-04-02 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Can you perhaps the smallest possible file which demonstrates your problem?

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Danilo Matoso Macedo

@ 2015-04-02 14:48                         ` Danilo Matoso Macedo
       [not found]                           ` <CAMBvf7BxBAV2+DQq26N_ztX7B_cApLQpF7vccwS+zNUDASrgWQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Danilo Matoso Macedo @ 2015-04-02 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you for your help!

Image and text on the file below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6602984/TextwithImage.zip

- Danilo

@ 2015-04-02 21:02                             ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-04-02 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Most likely these image files are fine, but this is a case
which pandoc's imagesize parser chokes on.  So debugging it
will require looking into the internals of that parser and
the binary image format...

+++ Danilo Matoso Macedo [Apr 02 15 11:48 ]:

@ 2015-04-03  5:55                             ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                               ` <20150403055540.GC35833-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-04-03  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Danilo Matoso Macedo [Apr 02 15 11:48 ]:
>Thank you for your help!
>
>Image and text on the file below:
>
>https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6602984/TextwithImage.zip

@mpickering, when I tried on this input, I got a different error:

pandoc: Data.Binary.Get.runGet at position 262: demandInput: not enough
bytes

Looks like the "Unknown tag type" error bomb was removed in
commit 5cb53a48d541b97b5f60968715a5969133196d70.

I would have thought that the ExceptT stuff you added in
bf8667660d027f2aac7256e25b904170302d440f would have resulted
in this error being trapped.  But apparently not...

John

@ 2015-04-03  7:16                                 ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]                                   ` <CALuQ0m-07CYgxgZ3rO8wo-d7obp6CD2ub8Eo9qQUnNeap1xPgA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-04-03  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I think the problem is that runGet is unsafe.

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/binary-0.7.4.0/docs/Data-Binary-Get.html#v:runGetOrFail

@ 2015-04-03  7:20                                     ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]                                       ` <CALuQ0m-0uuB0pENzT3JJ_c+v-9nhpmK+hR7=AO_wdpyjYmV4Lg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-04-03  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

There's also a comment on line 200 which talks about this.

-- NOTE: It would be nicer to do
-- runGet ((Just <$> exifHeader) <|> return Nothing) -- runGet ((Just
<$> exifHeader) <|> return Nothing)
-- which would prevent pandoc from raising an error when an exif
header can't -- which would prevent pandoc from raising an error when
an exif header can't
-- be parsed. But we only get an Alternative instance for Get in
binary 0.6, -- be parsed. But we only get an Alternative instance for
Get in binary 0.6,
-- and binary 0.5 ships with ghc 7.6. -- and binary 0.5 ships with ghc 7.6.

@ 2015-04-03 16:30                                         ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-04-03 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

So we can't just depend on binary >= 0.6, because 0.5 ships
with ghc 7.6, and that will cause lots of problems.

Possible solution:  switch to using cereal instead of binary?
They have similar APIs.  And if I'm not mistaken, cereal is already
in our huge list of transitive dependencies.

John

+++ Matthew Pickering [Apr 03 15 08:20 ]: