* Tables without horizontal rules
@ 2014-06-23 16:23 R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found] ` <53A85481.3060806-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2014-06-23 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Folks,

I am trying to generate tabular output where columns are aligned but
where there are no horizontal rules. Additionally, I wish to use a
proportional width font. This would be accomplished in LaTeX using a
tabular environment rather than a table environment.

I am trying to obtain the same effect with pandoc using pipe tables, but
I do not know how to avoid the horizontal rules.

Apart from using the LaTeX tabular environment directly in a source
document, which I wish to avoid because I desire HTML outputs as well,
is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks.

Chandra

* Re: Tables without horizontal rules
       [not found] ` <53A85481.3060806-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-06-23 17:11   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20140623171111.GA48231-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-23 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pandoc's table output in HTML has no explicit markup for borders
(horizontal or vertical).  In my browser the tables display without
any rules.  But it depends on the CSS that is being used.  You
can explicitly turn off borders using CSS.

So that just leaves latex output.  Currently pandoc uses \toprule,
\midrule, and \bottomrule.  So it should suffice just to redefine
these in the preamble of your latex template.

\let\toprule\relax
\let\bottomrule\relax
\let\midrule\relax

+++ R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar [Jun 23 14 21:53 ]:

@ 2014-06-23 17:58       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]         ` <53A86AAC.3020400-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2014-06-23 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks. I tried what you said and the HTML output is fine.

The LaTeX/PDF output fails with this error message:
***
! Misplaced \noalign.
\addlinespace ->\noalign
                          {\ifnum 0=`}\fi \@ifnextchar [{\@addspace
}{\@addsp...
l.53 \toprule\addlinespace

pandoc: Error producing PDF from TeX source
***

FYI, I inserted the lines you suggested in the template so:
---
$if(tables)$
\usepackage{longtable,booktabs}
$endif$
\let\toprule\relax
\let\bottomrule\relax
\let\midrule\relax
---

I wonder if I am doing something wrong here.

Chandra

@ 2014-06-23 19:37           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-23 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Try adding:

\let\addlinespace\relax

+++ R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar [Jun 23 14 23:28 ]: