* Are metadata fields only for markdown?
@ 2014-11-25  8:20 David Demelier
       [not found] ` <e0cd4b8c-c714-48ef-9f1d-0e238c575132-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: David Demelier @ 2014-11-25  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm currently trying to use mediawiki markup, but it seems that metadata
are not taken in account.

The following code produce paragraphs with the content of the metadata
fields.

% TEST
% The author

= Begin =

So I have multiples questions:

* Is it possible to know which readers can understand metadata fields ?

I didn't find in the documentation.

* Can you make a full list of all metadata fields ?

Regards,
David.

* Re: Are metadata fields only for markdown?
       [not found] ` <e0cd4b8c-c714-48ef-9f1d-0e238c575132-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-11-25 15:13   ` Daniel Staal
From: Daniel Staal @ 2014-11-25 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

--As of November 25, 2014 12:20:21 AM -0800, David Demelier is alleged to
have said:

> So I have multiples questions:
>

> * Is it possible to know which readers can understand metadata fields ?

Metadata is an extension to *Markdown*.  Pandoc only reads it from Markdown
files.  (Imposing an arbitrary extension on multiple markup systems would
have poor results, and Pandoc only actually *extends* Markdown, it just
reads 'base' versions of the other markup formats.)

> I didn't find in the documentation.
>

> * Can you make a full list of all metadata fields ?

>From the docs, that kinda depends on what type of metadata block you use.
If you are using the 'title block' style, only three are mentioned: Title,
Author(s), Date.

YAML metadata blocks can have arbitrary fields, but they won't do anything
unless you use custom templates.  (Well, 'title', 'author' and date will,
but anything else you'll have to handle yourself.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

* Re: Are metadata fields only for markdown?
@ 2014-11-25 18:12     ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-11-25 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Note also that you can specify metadata on the command line, even
for mediawiki sources:  see the --meta/-M option.