* Integrate TOC for docx as a pandoc native function
@ 2014-12-03 23:43 tolot27
       [not found] ` <1e23c9dd-68aa-49f8-871a-46330d140488-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: tolot27 @ 2014-12-03 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi!

I'll start the discussion related to the issue Table of contents not
generated for DOCX #458 <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/458>. I've
proposed and tested the maximal possible solution to insert a TOC in a docx
file (semi-) automatically.
It is not possible to include it without user intervention, at least not,
if page numbers should be displayed in the TOC. The reason is that only
after rendering the docx, the correct page numbers are known. Rendering is
only possible with an installed Word application or Word Automation
Services (SharePoint Portal Server), but only with Windows or Mac. Another
way is to insert an updatable TOC field. Then, one has to open the docx
file and a question regarding to field updates is shown automatically.
Clicking in 'Yes' will update the TOC.

Nikolay implemented this behaviour as a filter
<https://gist.github.com/lierdakil/461cf6b0ef67f8cee47e> and raised the question
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/458#issuecomment-60556703>whether
this feature should be implemented natively into pandoc or as a filter to
avoid dirty docx. I still believe (after some practial expierences) that a
native implementation is beneficial over a filter because using a json
filter requires installation of additional components like runghc, which
may increases complexity for some users. Also, some tools which integrate
pandoc (like knitr/rmarkdown) would not benefit from this feature because
mostly, they do not support piped commands.

Please follow our discussion in the issue comments and share your opinion
with us.

--
Kind regards,
Mathias

* Re: Integrate TOC for docx as a pandoc native function
       [not found] ` <1e23c9dd-68aa-49f8-871a-46330d140488-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-12-03 23:51   ` tolot27
From: tolot27 @ 2014-12-03 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Okay, piping can be replaced by using parameter '-F ./docx-toc.hs'

--

@ 2014-12-04  0:11   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-12-04  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ tolot27 [Dec 03 14 15:43 ]:
> I still believe (after some practial expierences) that a
>native implementation is beneficial over a filter because using a json
>filter requires installation of additional components like runghc, which
>may increases complexity for some users.

Not necessarily -- a filter could be provided in executable form.

That's not a comment on the proposal.  I'm beginning to think it would
be okay to generate a TOC in docx in this way.  After all, people who
don't like it don't have to use the `--toc` option.

@ 2017-05-15 20:33   ` lzytniak
       [not found]     ` <ca4b92f4-2ee8-48a7-a51a-0d87314db584-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: lzytniak @ 2017-05-15 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

I have a question, how to use option --toc, to include table of content?
I have files:

   - input.tex
   - input.toc

I would like to convert it to docx or rst.

I tried:

pandoc -s -S input.tex --toc --toc-depth=3 -o output.docx

but it doesn't include table of content.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,

@ 2017-05-16  7:16       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-05-16  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

input.toc won't be used in any way.  The --toc option
normally constructs a table of contents from the heading
structure of your document.  But it works differently for
different output formats.  Please consult the manual for
your pandoc version.  In earlier versions docx was not
supported at all; in recent versions, an instruction is
inserted into the docx, but you may need to do something
to tell Word to expand it into an actual toc.

+++ lzytniak [May 15 17 13:33 ]: