From: John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Idea: Support for centred block-level elements, without necessarily needing to revise pandoc
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 22:45:34 -0800	[thread overview]

+++ Gordon Steemson [Jan 31 15 18:25 ]:
>1) If someone, just to be difficult, needs to have literal ASCII arrows at
>the start and/or end of their actual output text block, can it be
>accommodated in a simple way by backslash-escaping? At what stage does that
>get stripped out — before the custom writer functions get called or after?

Before.  The escaping is resolved in the parser.

>2) What would be involved in modifying the Pandoc markdown parser to
>recognize the obvious extension to this syntax, demonstrated below?

Well, it would be quite involved.  We'd need to modify the Pandoc
document model to add these alignment containers (though I suppose
we could use Div elements with special classes), then modify the
Markdown parser and all the writers.

Centering has come up before on this list (you can search for earlier
discussions).  My general feeling is that pandoc should focus on
structural elements of documents, and things like centering and
right-aligning are too presentational.

Note you can always put things in divs with classes, and format them
with CSS in HTML or with a simple filter in other formats.