From: John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Reference.docx and default Word styles
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:26:42 -0800	[thread overview]

As you point out, #2 may break some existing reference.docx setups.
(That is, people may have a reference.docx that modifies the styles
pandoc currently uses; if pandoc changes these, a new custom
reference.docx would be needed.) Still, I think this isn't sufficient
reason to avoid #2.

One further reservation.  See commit
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/commit/3fca434737f0eee706c02fba6a2a2629338a1065
which explains (sort of) why we use FootnoteRef instead of
FootnoteReference and Hyperlink instead of Link.

See also
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/commit/caed0df4a7ed5b2ec0cc2b15cc99e359987982e4
for further amplification.

I can't recall all the details here, just that when I used the Word
style names, Word would sometimes mess things up when the reference.docx
was saved.

I agree that it would be best to use the standard Word styles if
possible, but I wanted to call your attention to this problem I
had earlier.

John

+++ Matthew Pickering [Feb 24 15 02:36 ]: