* Reference.docx and default Word styles
@ 2015-02-23 22:14 Nikolay Yakimov
       [not found] ` <10d80cbd-5bdb-4937-811c-24af52aaadf3-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Nikolay Yakimov @ 2015-02-23 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi. I'm working on https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/pull/1968, and I've got
some questions.

Some styles in reference.docx are marked as custom, some are not. Some of
those not marked custom are recognized by Word as built-in. Some are not,
however. Word automatically marks those as custom, but this introduces
unnecessary ambiguity. Furthermore, some styles not recognized by Word as
built-in actually duplicate built-in styles, and could be renamed to
reflect that.

Here is a list of styles I'm most concerned about:
Nameambiguoustypecan be replaced byAuthoryesp?Abstractyesp?Compactyesp?Image
Captionyespcaption?Block QuoteyespIntense Quote, Block Text, QuoteTable
Captionyespcaption?Definition Termyesp?Definitionyesp?FirstParagraphyesp?
LinknocHyperlinkFootnote Refnocfootnote reference

these are either ambiguous (again, meaning that they are neither custom,
nor Word defaults), duplicate default Word styles, or both.

So the question is, what should be done with them? I've got the following

   1. Update reference.docx to define ambiguous styles as custom. Do
   nothing more. This is a quick-and-dirty solution.
   2. Replace styles in reference with word-recognized ones as best I can,
   set those I can't as custom. This is a longer path, but leading to
   hopefully better user experience.
   3. Do nothing at all, and hope for the best. This will likely lead to
   'surprises' in the future, and not the pleasant kind, I fear.

First two options require significant updates to reference.docx though, and
option 2 is not strictly backwards-compatible with pandoc-created docx
(although it'll likely be a couple of styles, not much more).

So, what are your thoughts on this matter?