* Preferred bibliography format for use with Pandoc
@ 2015-03-16  1:09 Jason White
       [not found] ` <20150316010933.GA21279-4VuKTzg51y8@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason White @ 2015-03-16  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I am new to the list and relatively new to Pandoc. (I'm experienced with LaTeX
however.)

Which of the supported bibliography file formats, if any, are preferred, and
why? I've used BibTeX format with LaTeX previously, but Pandoc supports a
greater variety of formats and I would be interested in reasons to choose one
of them for the purpose of starting a new file containing references for use
in papers that I plan to write.

* Re: Preferred bibliography format for use with Pandoc
       [not found] ` <20150316010933.GA21279-4VuKTzg51y8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-03-16 15:39   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20150316153914.GA41922-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-03-16 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

bibtex/biblatex format is well supported, and has the advantage of
being portable.

For maximum control, though, you could use a YAML bibliography,
which can be inserted directly into the source file if you wish.

You can use pandoc-citeproc -y to convert bibtex to yaml.

+++ Jason White [Mar 15 15 21:09 ]:

@ 2015-03-16 16:36   ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]     ` <55070696.10909-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2015-03-16 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 03/15/2015 09:09 PM, Jason White wrote:
> Which of the supported bibliography file formats, if any, are preferred, and
> why? I've used BibTeX format with LaTeX previously, but Pandoc supports a
> greater variety of formats and I would be interested in reasons to choose one
> of them for the purpose of starting a new file containing references for use
> in papers that I plan to write.

For a very long time I used bibtex and then biblatex's bibtex. Last year
I switched to Pandoc's YAML format as it's integration with pandoc
markdown is really good, and I prefer CSL type stylesheets.

@ 2015-03-16 19:38       ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]         ` <5507314C.1070009-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-03-16 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 03/16/2015 05:36 PM, Joseph Reagle wrote:
> On 03/15/2015 09:09 PM, Jason White wrote:
>> Which of the supported bibliography file formats, if any, are preferred, and
>> why? I've used BibTeX format with LaTeX previously, but Pandoc supports a
>> greater variety of formats and I would be interested in reasons to choose one
>> of them for the purpose of starting a new file containing references for use
>> in papers that I plan to write.
>
> For a very long time I used bibtex and then biblatex's bibtex. Last year
> I switched to Pandoc's YAML format as it's integration with pandoc
> markdown is really good, and I prefer CSL type stylesheets.

Hi Joseph,

I never used bibliographies in pandoc before, but I think I must learn
this in a no-so-distant future.

Do you use a GUI program for your bibliographies or do you type them by
hand?

I have just realized: does zotero handle YAML bibliographies from pandoc?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2015-03-16 22:39           ` Andrew Dunning
       [not found]             ` <346ac9c3-2f68-46db-8798-2cadb6ee5cfc-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Dunning @ 2015-03-16 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It's not possible to get YAML from Zotero directly, but the Zotxt plugin
allows you to access the Zotero database directly from Pandoc. It's
brilliant.

I typically use this setup to make it easy to refer to anything I need
while writing a paper, and once I've completed it I convert the JSON file
generated by Zotxt into YAML format and paste this into the original
document for archival purposes. This can also be useful if you need to
modify a citation to fit the style of a particular paper, or to address
deficiencies in Zotero (e.g. to get a DOI for item types where Zotero still
doesn't allow it, such as a book chapter: this is supposed to be fixed with
version 4.1, later this year).

@ 2015-03-17  1:50       ` Jason White
       [not found]         ` <20150317015002.GA30866-4VuKTzg51y8@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason White @ 2015-03-17  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> bibtex/biblatex format is well supported, and has the advantage of
> being portable.

I used biblatex to manage the citations in my PhD. In my current work,
however, it is desirable to be able to generate multiple output formats, thus
motivating an interest in pandoc.

> For maximum control, though, you could use a YAML bibliography,
> which can be inserted directly into the source file if you wish.

Thank you. I'll experiment with this approach.

@ 2015-03-17  3:49           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-03-17  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Jason White [Mar 16 15 21:50 ]:
>John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> bibtex/biblatex format is well supported, and has the advantage of
>> being portable.
>>

>I used biblatex to manage the citations in my PhD. In my current work,
>however, it is desirable to be able to generate multiple output formats, thus
>motivating an interest in pandoc.

Well, with pandoc you can use a bibtex or biblatex bibliography and
target multiple formats.  Note that pandoc does not actually use
bibtex/biblatex to process the bibliography.  It parses the bibliography
to its own internal format, and uses CSL stylesheets to style the
citations and references.  This will work in EVERY output format pandoc
supports.  So you should be able to use the same bibliography files
you were using.

@ 2015-03-22 10:59               ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-03-22 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 03/16/2015 11:39 PM, Andrew Dunning wrote:
> It's not possible to get YAML from Zotero directly, but the Zotxt plugin
> allows you to access the Zotero database directly from Pandoc. It's
> brilliant.
>
> I typically use this setup to make it easy to refer to anything I need
> while writing a paper, and once I've completed it I convert the JSON
> file generated by Zotxt into YAML format and paste this into the
> original document for archival purposes. This can also be useful if you
> need to modify a citation to fit the style of a particular paper, or to
> address deficiencies in Zotero (e.g. to get a DOI for item types where
> Zotero still doesn't allow it, such as a book chapter: this is supposed
> to be fixed with version 4.1, later this year).

Many thanks for your reply, Andrew.

Your explanation is clear and a good introduction to handle
bibiographies in pandoc. Just exactly what I need!

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2015-03-22 22:42   ` Scot Mcphee
       [not found]     ` <CAFnRE0QrHDAxFF+vqJLbE0S73RpnKGjK1xGh--mHQ2Q+pk=sVg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Scot Mcphee @ 2015-03-22 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I use Biblatex. I continue to use it rather than YAML because Mendeley can
be set up to export its database to .bib automatically.

I did have to write a python script to rip out the extraneous fields that
Mendeley won't allow you to customise (a super annoying feature), here -
https://github.com/scotartt/clean_bib

If you use CSL and YAML you can of course, edit the CSL so the fields are
not included. But quite frankly, CSL is a hideous ugly monster. And XML is
my *day job*.

scot

*Scot Mcphee. *
*Computer programmer. Classics PhD.*
p +61 412 957414
e scot.mcphee-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
w http://autonomous.org/

@ 2015-03-27  4:21       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-03-27  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Scot Mcphee [Mar 23 15 08:42 ]:
>I use Biblatex. I continue to use it rather than YAML because Mendeley can
>be set up to export its database to .bib automatically.
>
>I did have to write a python script to rip out the extraneous fields that
>Mendeley won't allow you to customise (a super annoying feature), here -
>https://github.com/scotartt/clean_bib
>
>If you use CSL and YAML you can of course, edit the CSL so the fields are
>not included. But quite frankly, CSL is a hideous ugly monster.

Last I modified a bibtex style file, that wasn't pretty either!  Instead
of XML, you need to learn a completely new stack-based language.
I've never tried to do custom modifications with biblatex; maybe that
is easier.